ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overseas trips and british citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

niteshj

overseas trips and british citizenship

Post by niteshj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi,

I will hopefully be getting ILR (via 5 years on HSMP + Tier-1; I am not married) in a month so just planning ahead for my citizenship.

Some questions:
* are we allowed to travel for long periods like say 6 months overseas (continuous) and then come back to UK for another 9 months and apply for citizenship - this will mean 3 months of the 6 month trip will be used to satisfy the 12 month rule
* I have already travelled 220 days during my 5 years on Tier-1 (unfortunately, most at the end of the 5 year period), does that mean that I can only travel another 230 days (to satisfy the 450 days overseas allowed in 5 years rule)

I have seen people mention that they can't be overseas more than 2 years at time - that would definitely breach the citizenship rules and require them to wait 5 years before they can apply for citizenship right?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 am

Your understanding of the naturalisation requirements is correct.

The 2 years rule is for not losing ILR status.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 am

Ok .. So just to be 100% sure..

This means that we can take a holiday of more than 3 months at a time? (unlike ILR application that does not allow overseas trips of more than 3 months at a time)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 am

Correct. It will just postpone the date you will be eligible to apply for naturalisation.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm

has something changed in the british citizenship rules? I am now an UK resident (5 years on HSMP + Tier 1) and I thought we were NOT allowed to be out of the country for more than 450 days in the 4/5 years prior to applying for citizenship regardless of whether it was for work or not?

but here I see that its ok!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... cesfromuk/

Which is great news if its correct as I have just been offered a potential Finland project role (but employed in UK) and I was going to turn it down because of this citizenship issue.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:45 pm

niteshj wrote:has something changed in the british citizenship rules? I am now an UK resident (5 years on HSMP + Tier 1) and I thought we were NOT allowed to be out of the country for more than 450 days in the 4/5 years prior to applying for citizenship regardless of whether it was for work or not?

Which is great news if its correct as I have just been offered a potential Finland project role (but employed in UK) and I was going to turn it down because of this citizenship issue.
The 450 days are a requirement but discretion can be applied. See Q3 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Jambo wrote:
niteshj wrote:has something changed in the british citizenship rules? I am now an UK resident (5 years on HSMP + Tier 1) and I thought we were NOT allowed to be out of the country for more than 450 days in the 4/5 years prior to applying for citizenship regardless of whether it was for work or not?

The 450 days are a requirement but discretion can be applied. See Q3 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.
yes I understand up to 900 days can be allowed under discretion. I also understand that the maximum 100 days away within the final year of applying for UK citizenship can be waived under discretion too.

Guess I will have to pray for the best when I apply as I would have been away for most of the year on work assignments.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 am

niteshj wrote:Guess I will have to pray for the best when I apply as I would have been away for most of the year on work assignments.
It is a big gamble, but since the alternative is to wait several years, it is probably worth it. Writing a compelling cover letter containing solid arguments will increase your chances.

Good luck!

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:02 pm