ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion after BC and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm

@ Astrid24

I think there might be another issue here too. Because passport office is not sending you hourly updates on the progress of your application, it must be causing you stress and anxiety. When there is stress and anxiety you cannot live your day to day life in peace. This must be in some way the violation of your article 8 rights.

I suggest you contact a solicitor with a view to launch an article 8 claim against passport office. If UK courts do not entertain your article 8 claim, then knock on the doors of European Court of Human Rights. :roll:

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:@ Astrid24

I think there might be another issue here too. Because passport office is not sending you hourly updates on the progress of your application, it must be causing you stress and anxiety. When there is stress and anxiety you cannot live your day to day life in peace. This must be in some way the violation of your article 8 rights.

I suggest you contact a solicitor with a view to launch an article 8 claim against passport office. If UK courts do not entertain your article 8 claim, then knock on the doors of European Court of Human Rights. :roll:
Yeah, mate, not funny anymore. Your first response was funny. Give it up now. :P

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 pm

:?

raja999

Post by raja999 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:33 pm

it's still funny carry on...i'm enjoying it.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:00 pm

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the validity of the biometric ID obtained through ILR once one has been naturalized. I am curious if it is still a valid form of ID.

Are we expected to destroy the biometric ID or return it to UKBA/HO?

Thanks in advance

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:20 am

RoyalFlush wrote:As a matter of interest, does anyone know the validity of the biometric ID obtained through ILR once one has been naturalized. I am curious if it is still a valid form of ID.

Thanks in advance
Can you also use it as ID proof when attending citizenship ceremony?
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:48 am

nnj10,

When i attended my ceremony last week, I was not asked for proof of ID. They only asked for the invitation letter.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 pm

nnj10 wrote:
RoyalFlush wrote:As a matter of interest, does anyone know the validity of the biometric ID obtained through ILR once one has been naturalized. I am curious if it is still a valid form of ID.

Thanks in advance
Can you also use it as ID proof when attending citizenship ceremony?
I did

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks in advance
It seems that the question has been answered by member Aborigine (thanks mate) in another forum:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#869868
Aborigine wrote: .....

By the way folks I came from my holiday and entered the UK 2 days ago without a UK passport. (Because an unexpected illness in my family
necessitated me travelling before i had a chance to apply for a UK passport. )

I filled in the landing card and presented my ILR card to the immigration officer.
I explained the situation and told him that i was a British citizen . He then took my finger prints using the electronic reader on the counter . Then he too confirmed that i am a British citizen then i passed thru.

Brothers and Sisters many of you wonder and i know that this question was asked in different topics but i still want to answer .
When i asked the UKBA officer very same question he confirmed me !!!
---Becoming a British Citizen does not invalidate your ILR card---

So if you dont have time to get your UK passport or in case of emergency you can travel in and out of the UK using your ILR card.

In short, the biometric ILR ID card is still valid after naturalization and it is still a valid form of ID. It can be used for travel prior to receiving your British passport.

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Just a suggestion for those who worry about getting their naturalisation certificates back from the passport office in bad condition after applying for a passport. I put my certificate in a plastic wallet, NOT laminated, just those plastic wallets you can put A4 sheets of paper in to put in binders/folders. I have a lot of them already because I'm a student and use them to keep my work in but you can buy them in any shop that sells office supplies.

Anyway, I put my certificate in one of them to keep it safe. The passport office returned it in the plastic wallet, still in almost perfect condition (except for the one fold line across the middle). Just a suggestion to help keep your certificate safe, seeing as I've read of people getting their certificates back from the passport office torn or in bad condition. Hope this helps.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 pm

You have drawn totally wrong conclusions out of your experience. Any kind of visa including ILR places restrictions on a person. All these visas/entry clearances/ILR are all given to foreign citizens. Once you become a British Citizen, basically an immigration officer loses all control on your entry to UK.
Even ILR has restrictions. A person holding ILR can still be denied entry into UK. An ILR holder could end up getting landed as a visitor in some circumstances. An ILR would in effect "expire" if you stayed out of UK for more than 2 years.

Once you are British Citizen, an immigration officer cannot deny you entry as long as it can be proved that you are who you say you are. You had an ILR Biometric card, and that proved beyond doubt that "you are who you say you are" even if the actual ILR was not operative. If you turned up without ILR, they would have to still let you in, as you are a British Citizen and do not need an immigration officers permission to enter UK.

Plus if you know a thing or two about UK immigration and nationality law, then you should understand that an ILR sticker or card cannot be operative if someone becomes a British citizen, because you cannot have "right of abode" due to being British Citizen and at the same time have restrictions on your entry due to your ILR.

All your previous statuses and stories go down the pan as soon as you are British citizen.

Even by watching that airline program on tv you would know that many a times airlines do fly British Citizens back home from holiday destinations like spain etc without any passport whatsoever (because they have lost or damaged it on holiday).

thatguy1
Newly Registered

Post by thatguy1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks in advance
valid for 10 years from grant date.

no, they don't take it back. and it's still effective.

SerMCG
Newly Registered

Post by SerMCG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 am

Ayyubi72 wrote:You have drawn totally wrong conclusions out of your experience. Any kind of visa including ILR places restrictions on a person. All these visas/entry clearances/ILR are all given to foreign citizens. Once you become a British Citizen, basically an immigration officer loses all control on your entry to UK.
Even ILR has restrictions. A person holding ILR can still be denied entry into UK. An ILR holder could end up getting landed as a visitor in some circumstances. An ILR would in effect "expire" if you stayed out of UK for more than 2 years.

Once you are British Citizen, an immigration officer cannot deny you entry as long as it can be proved that you are who you say you are. You had an ILR Biometric card, and that proved beyond doubt that "you are who you say you are" even if the actual ILR was not operative. If you turned up without ILR, they would have to still let you in, as you are a British Citizen and do not need an immigration officers permission to enter UK.

Plus if you know a thing or two about UK immigration and nationality law, then you should understand that an ILR sticker or card cannot be operative if someone becomes a British citizen, because you cannot have "right of abode" due to being British Citizen and at the same time have restrictions on your entry due to your ILR.

All your previous statuses and stories go down the pan as soon as you are British citizen.

Even by watching that airline program on tv you would know that many a times airlines do fly British Citizens back home from holiday destinations like spain etc without any passport whatsoever (because they have lost or damaged it on holiday).
I've talked with several now British citizens and who are also citizens of other countries where the dual citizenship is not allowed. They use their (previously granted) PR or ILR when they travel to their countries.
I wonder, what happens after the 10 years? Considering they are now British citizens, will they be technically able to renew their PR or ILR?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 am

ILR does not exist after BC. Read my above post please.

Biometric Residence permit has no chip that is programmed to somehow destroy the card when someone becomes a BC. Because card is a physical thing it stays as it is after BC. If the card is lost, it cannot be replaced and it cannot be renewed either.

Biometric Residence permit is not ILR in itself. ILR is the status that is granted and Biometric Residence permit or a vignette just mentions the information held by UKBA.

psb

Post by psb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:14 am

Citizens of countries which do not permit dual nationality, can apply for right of abode sticker. They could show this in their countries.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... -of-abode/

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:28 am

psb wrote:Citizens of countries which do not permit dual nationality, can apply for right of abode sticker. They could show this in their countries.

I wonder where you get all this wonderful information from?

Who informed you that to get right of abode sticker you should come from a country that does not not allow dual citizenship? Actually people in this situation will be committing an offence by not surrendering/cancelling passports from their home country.

One good example is Indian citizens who get BC. They could end up in all kind of difficulties if they do not surrender their passports within 3 months of gaining BC. If on a trip to India, Indian immigration works out that someone is using Indian passport beyond 3 months grace period, then that person will surely be arrested and charged with offences under Indian passport act.

So, please stop giving random misleading advice to people.

Actually in practical terms, right of abode stamp could be beneficial to someone who home country allows dual citizenship. For example, it will be beneficial for an Australian who gets BC. They won't have to carry around 2 passports all the time.

SerMCG
Newly Registered

Post by SerMCG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 am

Ayyubi72 wrote:
psb wrote:Citizens of countries which do not permit dual nationality, can apply for right of abode sticker. They could show this in their countries.

I wonder where you get all this wonderful information from?

Who informed you that to get right of abode sticker you should come from a country that does not not allow dual citizenship? Actually people in this situation will be committing an offence by not surrendering/cancelling passports from their home country.

One good example is Indian citizens who get BC. They could end up in all kind of difficulties if they do not surrender their passports within 3 months of gaining BC. If on a trip to India, Indian immigration works out that someone is using Indian passport beyond 3 months grace period, then that person will surely be arrested and charged with offences under Indian passport act.

So, please stop giving random misleading advice to people.

Actually in practical terms, right of abode stamp could be beneficial to someone who home country allows dual citizenship. For example, it will be beneficial for an Australian who gets BC. They won't have to carry around 2 passports all the time.
Please, let me understand if I got it right. Just learning how it works and how these documents look and can be used. Nothing to do wanting to make an offence but I want to know how these people I talked to really make it happen. None of them showed their documents to me..

Based on my relatively poor knowledge of how immigration documents work, if they use a 'right of abode' sticker I think they have to carry the British Passport with them. Looking at some samples it show "valid until the validity of the present passport" http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... lement.jpg

As it should be, they would need to enter with a British Passport and be limited to the stay in that country as British Nationals. If they overstay, it will definitely find out when they will leave the country. in facts, if they show their Indian Passport (without any visa, stickers, ILR, etc) they will not be allowed to leave. If they leave with their British passport, their entry stamp help the authority to find out they overstayed.
If not enough, if they carry both passports, at the first check of bags they will find out and seize the Indian (or Chinese if in China, etc.) passport.

Moreover, looking at the biometric ID, if a national with this issue, applies after getting the BC, he/she will have a "British National" on such card, meaning, the Indian/Chinese/etc. authorities will find out. Instead, if applied for a biometric ID before the BC was granted, it will be valid for 10 years, based on ILR, PR, or any other visa the new BC was granted residence in the UK. In this case, there is the issue that such "dual national" will not be in conditions to renew the biometric ID without having the "British National Citizen" show on their biometric ID.

How correct are the above?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Rest of the story in a day or two, but let you know there is no Biometric ID once you become British Citizen, it simply does not exist.

So, basically the last Biometric Residence permit that will be issued to someone will be of ILR status.

If someone has Right of Abode endorsed on their foreign passport, then they do not need British Passport to enter UK.

SerMCG
Newly Registered

Post by SerMCG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Rest of the story in a day or two, but let you know there is no Biometric ID once you become British Citizen, it simply does not exist.

So, basically the last Biometric Residence permit that will be issued to someone will be of ILR status.

If someone has Right of Abode endorsed on their foreign passport, then they do not need British Passport to enter UK.
Ayyubi72, take your time.

SerMCG
Newly Registered

Post by SerMCG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:42 pm

If you look here: "A certificate of entitlement is proof of your right to live and work in the UK without any immigration restrictions. If you have the right of abode but you have another way of proving it (such as a UK passport or an identity card showing you to be a British citizen or British subject with right of abode), we will not issue a certificate of entitlement to you." http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... titlement/

I don't think the UK BA would issue a certificate because of the "risk of losing their citizenship of origin".

Moreover, from a research on the internet I noticed a certificate of entitlement or sticker of the right of abode (see my previous post) has "British Citizen" written on it. Did I pick the wrong one? :-)

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Now, I will cut the long story short, I will use the layman's language.

Once you become a British citizen, you can either apply for a British passport to carry around as a proof of your British Citizenship.

Or you can get the passport in a sticker form aka ROA.

( Dont discuss technicalities, I just used the lingo to get the message across)

I think this discussion should now end. :wink:

Aborigine
Newly Registered

Post by Aborigine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:12 pm

General discussion after BC and Passport application

Hello Boys and Girls
As it was mentioned above , where can we go , live and settle in the world.

I spent 3 years in this grey, dull and lifeless country and i got my citizenship .
Do i wanna waste my life here nooooo ofcourse no . I am not gonna let my life rot away here in this boring place.

Lets start , luckily my wife is British and as well as Australian. I want to live in a sunny and a colourful country . I lived in Australia for a while early 2000 it is amazing like a dream climate, life style etc.

Now i know you are gonna ask me why in the first place i didnt go there .
And my answer is this ; My wife had some family problems and we had to stay here and all those problems are solved now. We are free now .

WHERE CAN WE GO ?
Since the topic is related i would like to ask you forum society ;

Yes i said i lived in Australia as a guest worker but do you think it is a good choice?
My wife was born there , she is an Australian citizen and she has relatives in contact that is all. She does not know anymore than i know about Australia.

Or

Another country nice , sunny and economically satisfying ( employment , quality of life , cost of every day life etc)

Does British citizenship have any advantages in other countries ?

Guys !!! I dont know where i am gonna go but i know one thing that i am not gonna spend my precious life in Britain .

So any suggestions ? ideas are much appreciated.

Please dont ignore if you have any ideas and suggestions just drop a few lines.

Health , wealth and happiness to everyone

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 am

Aborigine wrote:General discussion after BC and Passport application

Hello Boys and Girls
As it was mentioned above , where can we go , live and settle in the world.

I spent 3 years in this grey, dull and lifeless country and i got my citizenship .
Do i wanna waste my life here nooooo ofcourse no . I am not gonna let my life rot away here in this boring place.

Lets start , luckily my wife is British and as well as Australian. I want to live in a sunny and a colourful country . I lived in Australia for a while early 2000 it is amazing like a dream climate, life style etc.

Now i know you are gonna ask me why in the first place i didnt go there .
And my answer is this ; My wife had some family problems and we had to stay here and all those problems are solved now. We are free now .

WHERE CAN WE GO ?
Since the topic is related i would like to ask you forum society ;

Yes i said i lived in Australia as a guest worker but do you think it is a good choice?
My wife was born there , she is an Australian citizen and she has relatives in contact that is all. She does not know anymore than i know about Australia.

Or

Another country nice , sunny and economically satisfying ( employment , quality of life , cost of every day life etc)

Does British citizenship have any advantages in other countries ?

Guys !!! I dont know where i am gonna go but i know one thing that i am not gonna spend my precious life in Britain .

So any suggestions ? ideas are much appreciated.

Please dont ignore if you have any ideas and suggestions just drop a few lines.

Health , wealth and happiness to everyone
Appreciate your sentiment mate. But don't knock this country. Yeah, the weather requires adjustment - I understand that very well coming from a sunny country - but it's what you make of it. And other than the weather, this country offers a lot. You know this already based on the fact that you are now taking advantage of what doors the British passport can open for you.

Sometimes it is worth remembering that expression - the grass is always greener on the other side.

I look forward to hearing what countries other people suggest in response. And good luck to you in finding your happiness.

Sorry2

Post by Sorry2 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am

Hi all,
I have done the ceremony and got the certificate of naturalisation today, my question is can I wait and apply for my British Passport after 2 months as I'm going abroad, and can I go abroad and when I come back inter the UK using my ILR?

Many thanks for your help, and all the best for who are waiting

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Got my passport today!

I'm so happy because I am travelling THIS FRIDAY, the 12th July and I was so worried I wouldn't get it in time.

I'm not gonna say this was a long journey for me because it wasn't. My mum did everything; the only thing I did myself was my naturalisation and then my passport.

I'm gonna stick around on the board to give advice when I can, and my mum is gonna apply for her naturalisation soon too so I'll put up her timeline.