ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Regaining of Indian Citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eashkuma4
India

Regaining of Indian Citizenship

Post by eashkuma4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:34 pm

All,

I have thought to have some discussion on this topic. Do any one know how long one have to stay in India to gain the Indian Citizenship when he/she previously had it?

Many thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:38 pm

after 5 years of OCI with last 12 months residence in India.

imranb

Post by imranb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:17 pm

ban.s wrote:after 5 years of OCI with last 12 months residence in India.
And just to add to that, children cannot relinquish their British Citizenship until they turn 18. So effectively children are ruled out to become Indian again until they become adults.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:09 pm

thanks for the addition - quite important bit though

eashkuma4
India

Regaining

Post by eashkuma4 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:26 pm

But MHA Site states the following in page 6

http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/ic_act55.pdf

(f) a person of full age and capacity who, or either of his parents, was earlier citizen of independent India, and has been residing in India for one year immediately before making an application for registration;

Can any one interpret this, looks like earlier citizens of India dont need to stay on OCI until 5 years, they just need to stay in India for a period of 1 year

Even the MHA online citizenship application form states the same

http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/c ... ipact1.htm

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:34 pm

what I mentioned was as per 5(1)(g) but your observation appears to be correct, if applied under 5(1)(f) then looks it can be done within a year. Seems good provision if someone needs Indian citizenship back sooner.

eashkuma4
India

Citizenship

Post by eashkuma4 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:58 pm

yes. Looks like we can get it in an year back without staying for 5 yrs time

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 pm

unless someone is planning to move to politics or public sector or purchasing agricultural land, what could be other possible motivations for regaining Indian citizenship back especially when it was renounced that voluntarily?

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:59 pm

I would say after living in India if someone realises that they are not coming to UK anymore. :). Migrants after spending time in UK when they know they can get the BC they want to get it even though they know their future plans is to live in India. I have seen alot of people going back after taking BC to India specially people from Maharashtra and South India. :wink:
Nothing is permanent whatever you have enjoy it :-)

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:59 pm

I would say after living in India if someone realises that they are not coming to UK anymore. :). Migrants after spending time in UK when they know they can get the BC they want to get it even though they know their future plans is to live in India. I have seen alot of people going back after taking BC to India specially people from Maharashtra and South India. :wink:

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm

It's not about moving back to India after obtaining BC, but moving back and surrendering BC (and regaining Indian citizenship) within a couple of years.
Is there any practical advtange of doing it (that can't be achived with an OCI)?

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 am

Even I'd like to know the reasons one would seek to give up BC after spending so much money on the route to obtain it and then on OCI ...
with OCI you could live in India forever without any restrictions on travel/living/work like any other fellow indian ... plus if you have got BC then you could travel to many other countries with much less hassle.

Ofcourse, if someone is missing on the feeling of casting a vote in Indian election , then it's understandable :)

imranb

Post by imranb » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am

ban.s wrote:It's not about moving back to India after obtaining BC, but moving back and surrendering BC (and regaining Indian citizenship) within a couple of years.
Is there any practical advtange of doing it (that can't be achived with an OCI)?
I kind of agree with ban.s. It is all very well to go back and re-settle in India. But after having spent thousands of pounds and years to gain British Citizenship and OCI status, I cannot think of any compelling reasons why would someone want to give it all up. Unless, you suddenly have a bout of extreme guilt of why you have abandoned your Indian roots just like the protagonist of the film Swades.

Most of us remain Indians at heart even after becoming British nationals, and the combination of OCI/British Citizenship gives us the perfect and legitimate option of settling in either of the 2 nations. Happy to be corrected if someone can share something more compelling that should make one give up British Nationality.

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm

I agree with the point that there is no point giving up BC after spending so much money and time here in UK. But every individual's plan in different. If someone wants to move back to Indian forever whats the point to gaining BC then?. However I do understand that ILR is not helpful for those people due to 2 years residential requirements. Anyways current economic condition in UK doesnt seems to be good which will be an ongoing issue. On the other hand India is booming, one can build their career very fast in there once you have experience from UK. I am talking as per my experience with the people who I know moved to India.

Please input for comments. :)

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:27 pm

I agree with the point that there is no point giving up BC after spending so much money and time here in UK. But every individual's plan in different. If someone wants to move back to Indian forever whats the point to gaining BC then?. However I do understand that ILR is not helpful for those people due to 2 years residential requirements. Anyways current economic condition in UK doesnt seems to be good which will be an ongoing issue. On the other hand India is booming, one can build their career very fast in there once you have experience from UK. I am talking as per my experience with the people who I know moved to India.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:49 pm

faislondon wrote:I agree with the point that there is no point giving up BC after spending so much money and time here in UK. But every individual's plan in different. If someone wants to move back to Indian forever whats the point to gaining BC then?. However I do understand that ILR is not helpful for those people due to 2 years residential requirements. Anyways current economic condition in UK doesnt seems to be good which will be an ongoing issue. On the other hand India is booming, one can build their career very fast in there once you have experience from UK. I am talking as per my experience with the people who I know moved to India.

You can still continue to live and work and build your career with BC + OCI as any other fellow Indian...there is absolutely no difference ...

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:20 pm

well at the end of the day it's a personal decision - so we probably need to wait for someone that has done this in the past (or intend to do in the future) to come forward and post their point of view.

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:21 pm

I have heard rumours about income tax issues in India when you work on OCI. When one gets employed in India tax is higher than normal Indian. Does anyone knows about this?

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:21 pm

:)