ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

papiaroy

OCI

Post by papiaroy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:32 pm

London HCI OCI processing is way way faster than CGI Birmingham. Applied on 4th April in person in Birmingham and still it is under process. Whereas people applying in June in London have got their OCI already. Why is such a huge time gap?

Anyone who got OCI recently from Birmingham , can you please share your time line?
thanks

ban.s

Re: OCI

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 pm

eashkuma4 wrote: UK residential address

prabh
Newly Registered

OCI

Post by prabh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi,

Please could someone post out a timeline of your OCI that would have been submitted at cgi Birmingham around 26/27 March 2013. Will be travelling to india at the end of july. Very anxious as nothing has changed since the acknowledgement. Shows as follows:

acknowledgement: 26 March 2013
Underprocess
etc....

Nothing. :cry:

prabh
Newly Registered

Post by prabh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:15 pm

papiaroy wrote:London HCI OCI processing is way way faster than CGI Birmingham. Applied on 4th April in person in Birmingham and still it is under process. Whereas people applying in June in London have got their OCI already. Why is such a huge time gap?

Anyone who got OCI recently from Birmingham , can you please share your time line?
thanks
we had applied on 26 March and as of today no reply and also travelling to india at the end of July. Have visited cgi birmingham, they just do not seem to have any current knowledge to inform or assist with any queries. very frustrating indeed :cry: [/b][/i]

papiaroy

OCI

Post by papiaroy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:06 am

Why don't you email Birmingham OCI again? Please inform us if there is any change in your status.
Thanks

Showy

Post by Showy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 am

prabh wrote:Hi,

Please could someone post out a timeline of your OCI that would have been submitted at cgi Birmingham around 26/27 March 2013. Will be travelling to india at the end of july. Very anxious as nothing has changed since the acknowledgement. Shows as follows:

Underprocess
etc....

Applicant Name S**********
File Acknowledgment Number GBRB******
Date Of Acknowledgment 12-MAR-2013
Registration Status at Mission BIRMINGHAM
OCI- Number A******
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 06-JUN-2013
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 11-JUN-2013
Document received At BIRMINGHAM On 17-JUN-2013

papiaroy

OCI

Post by papiaroy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks for sharing your timeline. Your OCI was printed in just 12 weeks time. In that case ours should have been printed this week. Let us see.
Had it been London HCI we could have got in early May.

eashkuma4
India

OCI Collection

Post by eashkuma4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:24 am

I need one advice, my OCI will reach London in a day or two. I am thinking of collecting it in Post by sending a special delivery cover. Could you let me know if there are any chances for misplacement at their end? or should be fine to collect in post?

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm

can any one please advice?

need one advice, my OCI will reach London in a day or two. I am thinking of collecting it in Post by sending a special delivery cover. Could you let me know if there are any chances for misplacement at their end? or should be fine to collect in post?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:43 pm

how can anyone tell whether it would be misplaced or not?

theoretically any postal delivery is prone to risk of misplacement either by the sender or by the delivery person. 99% nothing will happen but yes, 1% risk will always be there.

eashkuma4
India

OCI Postal Collection time line

Post by eashkuma4 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Members, can any one share their OCI Collection time frame from london HCI in Post?

papiaroy

Post by papiaroy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 am

prabh wrote:Hi,

Underprocess
etc....

Hi
Is there any change in your OCI status?
Thanks

nnn
Newly Registered

My journey is complete!

Post by nnn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Application sent: 02-Apr -2013 (postal, London)
Application received: 03 -Apr -2013
Date Of Acknowledgment 29-MAY-2013
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 28-JUN-2013
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 02-JUL-2013
Document received At LONDON On 05-JUL-2013

Nadeshka
Newly Registered

Post by Nadeshka » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice and their timelines - it helps knowing you're not the only one waiting nervously! Here's my timeline, will pick it up sometime this week:

Application sent: 16-Apr-2013 (postal London)
Application received: 18-Apr-2013
Date Of Acknowledgement 07-June-2013
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 28-JUN-2013
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 02-JUL-2013
Document received At LONDON On 05-JUL-2013

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 am

Application sent: 10-June-2013 (postal London HCI)
Application received: 11-June-2013
Date Of Acknowledgement: 08-July-2013
Documents Printing Status UNDER PROCESS ON

Return of Original Surrender Certificate: 10-July-2013

Hopefully it will be issued soon , lets see
Last edited by destiniation_london on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Showy

Passports Not Returned

Post by Showy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 am

Hi

I am getting very worried now, the OCI was recieved at Birmingham around 3 weeks ago, I sent passports with relevant docs the very next day with a SDE for the return, 3 weeks now and still nothing, sent an e-mail last week and they said it was sent on the 03\07, no tracking at all on the Royal Mail (not recieved at the depot), sent e-mail yesterday and responded to wait another 2 days!!!!!

After all this waiting I just hope the passports and OCI have not been lost by them...if anyone else had similar issues with regards to getting their passports back from CGI please share...

Thanks

Showy

Return of passports

Post by Showy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Update on my Passport\OCi fiasco...

I rang the embassy on the premium rate number given on the website, picked up by a lady who assured me that the passports are not lost but there is a delay in the process, they have to send them to the commissioner for a final signature before they can be released and this has not been done in a timely manner. I asked if she can check if my passports are still there, she took my details and said she will call me back...

20 minutes later....she calls me and confirms that she has found the passports and definitely be sent in today's post for (finger crossed) delivery tomorrow..

so apparantly them telling me they were sent last week was incorrect!!!!!....lets wait and see...

UPDATE : Finally I can see a status update "the item is going through our network..." on the Royal Mail website...so nearly there......

physku
Newly Registered

OCI - how many copies

Post by physku » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 am

All, am posting queries here as I did not receive response as a separate topic.

1.) Can anyone please help me understand how many copies of support documents (british passport, naturalization certificate, surrender certificate, and possibly cancelled indian passport) I should send. My understanding is just one self attested copy of all requested. My understanding is also that if I am sending copy of surrender certificate, I dont need to send copy of cancelled indian passport. The surrender certificate is proof of having had indian pp before.

2.) Also should I be sending original of naturalization and cancelled indian passport. My understanding is just original of surrender certificate.

3.) Is it just one special delivery return envelope. Someone was suggesting that I should send a first class envelope as well for acknowledgement (why should I if I am sending documents to consulate by special delivery which i can anyways track).

4.) Also do Visa pages on British passport count as observation pages. I got an urgent indian business visa when my surrender certificate was being processed. So should I send a photocopy of the visa page as well.

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

Re: OCI - how many copies

Post by kamal.gulati » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:08 am

Hi

Though my OCI is due to be received in London but wanted to know the process on the day to pick it.

Is there too much crowd?
If I reach there around 9:30 am then also be able to submit my passport?

Please share your experience

Thanks
Kamal

sruthiv
Newly Registered

oci collection

Post by sruthiv » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am

hi
my oci is ready for collection in london.could anyone give exact address of the HCI office to go and collect.I am planning to collect my card n my families.do i need to take any documents to take my wife n daughter oci cards.
thank u in advance

Showy

Arrived....Phew

Post by Showy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:27 pm

....And today the passports with the OCI booklets have finally arrived... :D from applying on March 12th to receiving them today nearly 4 months journey..Thanks to everybody who gave advice...but I am starting it all again from tomorrow... :(

so I will be back to keep you updated...

All the best to everybody...

:wink:

papiaroy

OCI

Post by papiaroy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks Showy for your update and congratulations for getting the OCI booklets finally.

amit13
Newly Registered

oci from within india

Post by amit13 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Dear,
I will be travelling to India for a few months in August. I will just have enough time to apply for my British passport here in UK before I travel.

I am aware that one can travel on an Indian passport for a period up to 90 days from the day the foreign citizenship is acquired. Hence I can enter India as a British national on Indian passport.

So here is my precise question:
If one travels to India immediately after getting the British passport (taking advantage of 3 months grace period to travel on Indian passport) and uses his Indian passport to enter, can he surrender his Indian passport and apply for OCI in India as long as its all done within 3 months?

I guess part of the question also is whether 90 days grace period is allowed only for travel or also for stay in India.

I am sure that OCI can be applied at one of the FRRO offices in India. However not sure if one can also surrender the passport in India, hence the above questions. One obvious answer will be to surrender my passport here in London and then get a visa to travel to India. However I an really pressed for time and would barely have any time left to surrender and apply for the visa after I receives my British passport.

Thanks
amit.balaji13@gmail.com

macgyver

Re: oci from within india

Post by macgyver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi there, the 3 months grace period is from the date of your naturalisation n not the passport.
Secondly I do not think it would be advisable to surrender your passport or apply for OCI in India. There are a few threads on the forum regarding that if I remember correctly.

Best to apply for an Indian Visa and travel after the passport.

HTH
amit13 wrote:Dear,
I will be travelling to India for a few months in August. I will just have enough time to apply for my British passport here in UK before I travel.

I am aware that one can travel on an Indian passport for a period up to 90 days from the day the foreign citizenship is acquired. Hence I can enter India as a British national on Indian passport.

If one travels to India immediately after getting the British passport (taking advantage of 3 months grace period to travel on Indian passport) and uses his Indian passport to enter, can he surrender his Indian passport and apply for OCI in India as long as its all done within 3 months?

I guess part of the question also is whether 90 days grace period is allowed only for travel or also for stay in India.

I am sure that OCI can be applied at one of the FRRO offices in India. However not sure if one can also surrender the passport in India, hence the above questions. One obvious answer will be to surrender my passport here in London and then get a visa to travel to India. However I an really pressed for time and would barely have any time left to surrender and apply for the visa after I receives my British passport.

Thanks
amit.balaji13@gmail.com

destiniation_london

Re: oci from within india

Post by destiniation_london » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 am

amit13 wrote:Dear,

Thanks
amit.balaji13@gmail.com
No, you'd have to return back to UK within the grace period to surrender, otherwise you'd be issued a penalty.