ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Delaying the citizenship ceremony possible?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

d_seng
Newly Registered

Delaying the citizenship ceremony possible?

Post by d_seng » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am

Hi all,

If I were to apply for citizenship today and receive my approval letter in say in one month in August (as I can see from many recent cases), can I call up my council and defer the citizenship ceremony to sometime in November? Has anybody done this before?

I am asking this because my home country India does not permit dual nationality and I have to visit India in October and I do not want to go through the hassle of obtaining a visa.

Thanks in advance.

Glc

Re: Delaying the citizenship ceremony possible?

Post by Glc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 pm

You have 90 days from the date of your invitation to attend a ceremony. As long as you're within the required timeframe then you're good.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm

d_seng wrote:Hi all,

If I were to apply for citizenship today and receive my approval letter in say in one month in August (as I can see from many recent cases), can I call up my council and defer the citizenship ceremony to sometime in November? Has anybody done this before?

I am asking this because my home country India does not permit dual nationality and I have to visit India in October and I do not want to go through the hassle of obtaining a visa.

Thanks in advance.
my council gave me three dates over three weeks and the letter said that if I wanted to do my ceremony later then I just need to contact them to make arrangement. so yes it should be possible

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 pm

d_seng wrote: I am asking this because my home country India does not permit dual nationality and I have to visit India in October and I do not want to go through the hassle of obtaining a visa.
You can use your indian passport for travel upto 3 months from the date of your citizenship ceremony without incurring any penalty.

nathan_nathan

Post by nathan_nathan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:31 pm

You can either take the naturalisation, apply for british passport which comes in about 3 to 6 weeks. Then apply for surrender certificate of your indian passport and take an Indian visa. Otherwise you can use the Indian passport for 3 months from the date of naturalisation

amit_london
Newly Registered

Post by amit_london » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am

[quote="Glc"]You have 90 days from the date of your invitation to attend a ceremony. As long as you're within the required timeframe then you're good.[/quote]

I have similar issue, my oath ceremony is in a week and need to travel India in a month which doesnt leave enough time to get the UK passport. I am aware that I can travel to India with the 90days grace period after naturalisation but what about entering back in the UK? I am reading through UKBA website but couldnt find a clear rule which would state that I can still use my ILR after naturalisation until I get UK passport or if I can use my naturalisation certificate to enter the UK.
Can someone please give me a link on UKBA website that would clarify how I enter UK in this situation? (I am aware that naturalisation is citizenship and in a way that gives me right to aboard, but need to see the rule to be sure).

amit_london
Newly Registered

Post by amit_london » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:08 pm