ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use my indian passport to travel to India

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

1sppandey

Can I use my indian passport to travel to India

Post by 1sppandey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi,

I got naturalised in June and have applied for british passport. My passport interview is next week, thus I will get my british passport most likely by end of this month.

I read somehere that I can use the indian passport upto 3 months from my naturalisation in UK. My query is that will my indian passport still be valid to travel to india once I get my british passport. I am planning to go to India in mid August (which is within 3 months from Naturalisation).

Can I apply for OCI before I travel to india as I know I need to surrender my indian passport for OCI application. Once surrendered, will my indian passport still be valid for travel..??

I know I can always apply for India Tourist visa on BP to travel..but just want to know if I can travel by the Indian passport in case the three month rule will be applicable.

Thanks for your inputs.

sublime688

dual nationality

Post by sublime688 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:35 pm

You may have to conform with the Indian authorities if dual nationality is accepted by the Indian Laws. If not, then you will have to give up the Indian nationality. I know of some countries that do not accept holding 2 nationalities. As a UK citizen one can hold another nationality and use the other passport freely and legally.

1sppandey

Re: dual nationality

Post by 1sppandey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

sublime688 wrote:You may have to conform with the Indian authorities if dual nationality is accepted by the Indian Laws. If not, then you will have to give up the Indian nationality. I know of some countries that do not accept holding 2 nationalities. As a UK citizen one can hold another nationality and use the other passport freely and legally.
Dual Nationality is not accpeted by India...thats the reason I have to apply for something called OCI. I know that UKBA will have no problem but the concern is in relation to Indian Immigration.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am

You get the 3 month grace period from the date of naturalization (mentioned on the certificate). Read here [link]

http://www.hcilondon.in/renunciation.html

If you surrender your Indian passport, it is no longer valid. Acquiring a British Passport does not make your Indian Passport invalid.

You should apply for OCI asap, but I doubt if you'll get it by August.

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 pm

krazydude wrote:You get the 3 month grace period from the date of naturalization (mentioned on the certificate). Read here [link]

http://www.hcilondon.in/renunciation.html

If you surrender your Indian passport, it is no longer valid. Acquiring a British Passport does not make your Indian Passport invalid.

You should apply for OCI asap, but I doubt if you'll get it by August.
My Naturalisation Certi date is 6th june so the grace period should be till 6 sept approx..which suits me fine as I should be back by then..will surrender Indian passport once I am back.

thanks