ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help a confused Canadian

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nohinsara

Please help a confused Canadian

Post by nohinsara » Thu May 10, 2007 7:12 pm

I've had a look around this forum and I'm still confused. I understand that people applying for Irish spousal visas are being hung out to dry by Irish Immigration and the Justice Department.

I am just wondering if there is going to be a problem for us... I am dual national, Canadian and British. My husband is Canadian, and so is my son.

My husband wants to work at the branch of the company he works for in Dublin, but there's little to no chance they will sponsor him. I though it would be fairly simple to get him a spousal visa instead, but looking through this board has made me feel quite worried.

I guess my question is this: I understand that it would be fairly easy for Mark and my son to gain entry into Ireland, as Canadians do not require visas to enter. Would it be easier to apply for a spousal visa once we arrive, rather than trying to do it from over here in Canada then? Would it make any difference?

Any advice would be highly appreciated! I feel for those of you going through this nightmare. :(

JAJ
Australia

Re: Please help a confused Canadian

Post by JAJ » Fri May 11, 2007 3:28 am

nohinsara wrote:I've had a look around this forum and I'm still confused. I understand that people applying for Irish spousal visas are being hung out to dry by Irish Immigration and the Justice Department.

I am just wondering if there is going to be a problem for us... I am dual national, Canadian and British. My husband is Canadian, and so is my son.

My husband wants to work at the branch of the company he works for in Dublin, but there's little to no chance they will sponsor him. I though it would be fairly simple to get him a spousal visa instead, but looking through this board has made me feel quite worried.

I guess my question is this: I understand that it would be fairly easy for Mark and my son to gain entry into Ireland, as Canadians do not require visas to enter. Would it be easier to apply for a spousal visa once we arrive, rather than trying to do it from over here in Canada then? Would it make any difference?
As far as I can see, the easiest route is likely to be moving to Northern Ireland, getting British citizenship for your husband and son after 3 years, then moving across the border if you still want to.

It might be different if you were an Irish citizen, but you're not.

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri May 11, 2007 5:53 am

I would have to Agree with JAJ My wife is American and i am British. we have been waiting nearly eight months.

Save yourself alot of stress and either apply form where you are and enter once the visa arrives or as JAJ suggests Go to Northern Ireland as the whole process for Spouses is alot easier there.
Happy now in the U.K. not so happy about the Rugby