ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does NCS take your BRP away in application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mealos

Does NCS take your BRP away in application?

Post by mealos » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi all, I have a quick question for BCs here that used NCS if you please help:

I will be applying to naturalization via NCS in 6 weeks. My wife has her ILR application in 7 weeks.

I was wondering if NCS staff will give my passport back yet take my BRP away to be sent in the application package like they do for the ILR(M) applications in Council's Settlement Checking Services?

If so, then we have to postpone her ILR application until I get my naturalization sorted.

Thanks in advance.

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't think they will take your ILR (BRP).

They will take a copy, certify it and attach it with your application.

That's what they did when I applied 2 weeks ago at NCS Harrow.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes they normally take your BRP and send it off, you no longer need it once naturalised.

Instead of postponing her ILR appointment, just postpone your naturalization for one week!
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Really will they take the BRP away? I thought they only take photocopies and return all the originals. Home office can request the original documents if they have any issues.

How about the following FAQ. Is it invalid? If you don't have BRP you can't travel because you won't be allowed in?

Q2: Can I travel after applying for naturalisation?

If applied using NCS, you will be able to keep your original documents so you will be able to travel.
(the requirement to be physically in the UK when the application is received by the HO has been changed)

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:16 pm

imran22 wrote:Really will they take the BRP away? I thought they only take photocopies and return all the originals. Home office can request the original documents if they have any issues.

How about the following FAQ. Is it invalid? If you don't have BRP you can't travel because you won't be allowed in?

If applied using NCS, you will be able to keep your original documents so you will be able to travel.
(the requirement to be physically in the UK when the application is received by the HO has been changed)
The question relates to passports you can't travel on a BRP.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm

D4109125 wrote:
imran22 wrote:Really will they take the BRP away? I thought they only take photocopies and return all the originals. Home office can request the original documents if they have any issues.

The question relates to passports you can't travel on a BRP.
You must be wrong Amber, it's the first time I heard the BRP is taken away. I agree with Imran, not having BRP defeat the purpose of being able to travel. i.e. how will you come back home (UK)?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 pm

If your existing leave to remain is shown on a Biometric Residence Permit then the original Biometric Residence Permit would also be submitted. You could get a British Passport or Certificate of entitlement to return back into the UK.

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:55 pm

D4109125 wrote:If your existing leave to remain is shown on a Biometric Residence Permit then the original Biometric Residence Permit would also be submitted. You could get a British Passport or Certificate of entitlement to return back into the UK.
This does not make sense, NCS supposes not to keep any document, why will they keep the BRP?

requesting a British passport does not have any logic. You could travel for business purposes or holiday a couple of days after submitting your application to Naturalisation with the view of coming back in a couple of weeks, how you expect to get a British passport when you are not yet British!!
Last edited by Pqek on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peterpan81

Post by Peterpan81 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I submitted by application around 3 months ago, and they took a copy of the BRP, certified it and I kept the original...They wont send any originals and that is why you are paying for the NCS service.
Hi I would like to join this forum for the benefit of myself and others

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Well it appears that you don't have to send your BRP anymore.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:43 pm

D4109125 wrote:Well it appears that you don't have to send your BRP anymore.
Only if using postal application then the original must be sent. You do still need it for NCS but you get original back.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks, I don't know where I got the NCS sending off the BRP.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 am

My experience with NCS is that they take photocopies there and then. You leave with all of the originals.

psb

Post by psb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:43 pm

The Home Office return the biometric card together with the foreign passport, they do not keep it.

thatguy1
Newly Registered

Post by thatguy1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm

D4109125 wrote:If your existing leave to remain is shown on a Biometric Residence Permit then the original Biometric Residence Permit would also be submitted. You could get a British Passport or Certificate of entitlement to return back into the UK.
not the case for me.
and some other user of this forum continues to travel on ILR - and border officials confirmed that ILRs are still effective and additionally they can see the citizenship status.