ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for british citizenship for spouse.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tutorofhistory
Newly Registered

applying for british citizenship for spouse.

Post by tutorofhistory » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi,I hope you can help me with this..

I am British citizen,,through naturalisation.

My wife is a British National Overseas passport holder as she was born in Hong Kong and is Nepalese citizen as well.
She has been in the UK with Indefinite leave to remain visa stamped on her Nepalese passport for 3 years through her own family ties.

We got married 2 yrs ago in UK and at that time I wasn't naturalised as BC but I had ILR at that time.

.Now she has been in the UK for 3 yrs .Can she apply for british citizen by naturalisation as a spouse of British Citizen eventhough I was not BC when we got married?
and I heard that if you have BNO passport you are exempt from taking life in the UK test.

I would highly appreciate your thoughts on this.

cricinfo

Re: applying for british citizenship for spouse.

Post by cricinfo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 am

tutorofhistory wrote:Hi,I hope you can help me with this..

I am British citizen,,through naturalisation.

My wife is a British National Overseas passport holder as she was born in Hong Kong and is Nepalese citizen as well.
She has been in the UK with Indefinite leave to remain visa stamped on her Nepalese passport for 3 years through her own family ties.

We got married 2 yrs ago in UK and at that time I wasn't naturalised as BC but I had ILR at that time.

.Now she has been in the UK for 3 yrs .Can she apply for british citizen by naturalisation as a spouse of British Citizen eventhough I was not BC when we got married?
and I heard that if you have BNO passport you are exempt from taking life in the UK test.

I would highly appreciate your thoughts on this.
Yes she can apply as spouse of BC. It doesn't matter what immigration status you were on at the time of marriage. If you are BC now then she can apply after 3 years as spouse of BC (provided if she meets other standard requirements)

tutorofhistory
Newly Registered

Post by tutorofhistory » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi ..
Thanks for the reply..

any idea BNO passport holder exempt from Life in the UK test ?

thanks

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:36 pm

tutorofhistory wrote:Hi ..
Thanks for the reply..

any idea BNO passport holder exempt from Life in the UK test ?

thanks
I have no idea about this. May be someone else would be able to help!