ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Get good advice - go with gut feeling. Quality pays!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DavidJ

Get good advice - go with gut feeling. Quality pays!

Post by DavidJ » Thu May 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi,

Well. I had bad advice to withdraw. I took a second opinion today, and was told the case was good. This person was very good, and on the ball. She zoomed in on the deficiencies in the ECO interviews, questions, conclusions and refusals. She convinced me, and the arguments all stacked up against my understanding.

I was shocked at withdrawing the appeal, and could not believe what I had been told. I have experience in law, and have read so much about immigration. I was sure that we had more than "balance of probabilities" in our favour. I was right.

To say I am angry is an understatement.

Folks, get good advice! Seek more than one opinion if you have *any* doubt about what you are being told, or the manner and commitment of your advisor.

Mine was the IAS, and the person seemed overworked, with no attention to detail. I didn't go with my gut instinct as it was legal aid, and therefore free, and I assumed the lack of concern was because the case was so winnable it was not a problem.

My gut instinct said the person was not as focused and sharp as I would have expected from a legal person. I have dealt with many. The person I saw today was much sharper, on the ball and lucid in explanation.

The upshot! I am self employed, and an actor, so money will always be an issue. It was not an issue before, but as I have had to re-finance to go and make an application it will be an issue next time, even at appeal. Struggling actor is not an easy sell.

They can see the ECO's clearly distrust my wife's intentions, as she is younger, and even if we marry they will still refuse on the basis the marriage is an avenue for her to the UK. That we have evidence to show this is clearly not true would not matter, and you *really* have to read the file and notes from the ECO's to see what I'm talking about. These lovey can say what they like, we all know that.

The upshot is great expense and a future appeal. No guarantee on finances unless my career takes off. (Hardly likely when I am required to work so many hours at my “restingâ€

transpondia

Post by transpondia » Fri May 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Do you think the IAS was reluctant to pursue your case because they thought it might jeopardize their success rate? Which they claim to be 80%?

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Fri May 11, 2007 2:27 pm

transpondia wrote:Do you think the IAS was reluctant to pursue your case because they thought it might jeopardize their success rate? Which they claim to be 80%?
Nope, as it was a winner. Really.

I had a gut feeling she was overworked. I was in shock, and wanted to fight. I knew in my gut, after all the research, that the case was good. What does one do when one's advisors are panicking and suggesting you withdraw. I was in no position to think straight - I felt like I'd had a bereavment.

Generally, I have a rule that one should listen to one's advisors. However, yet again I let my head overule my gut and made excuses for the counsellor. Assuming the lack of attention to some detail was the confidence she had in the strength of the case, so I was going into too much detail.

I think, on the day, she was unprepared, and with a harsh judge did not want to fight. She was panicky. Not the cool detached controlled look I expect to see. Thanks for nothing. Every large organisation has its share of mistakes. I started out on this board asking if the IAS were any good, and nobody answered. Should have listened to the silence.

The UK misses out on the Tax & NI of myself and my wife. Both fit, healthy and unlikely to claim anything from the government. (I don't claim even when I can - too much hassle.) Wonderful!

Still, I've made my mind up and am glad a decision has been made. I get to see my wife, marry her, and come visit my daughter or bring her over in the future. Like a weight off my shoulders.

DavidJ.

synapse321
Newly Registered

Post by synapse321 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:20 pm

Sorry about the news.

I am not one for knocking organisations but the IAS told me that I only need 3 months worth of wage slips/bank statements.

The quality of advice does indeed vary from solicitor to solicitor.

synapse321
Newly Registered

Post by synapse321 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I forgot to add another solicitor said that I don't need to have a house survey done. Hence why I am asking this board whether that is true.

ie Do you need to have a house survey done to demonstrate there is no overcrowding for example?

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Fri May 11, 2007 9:41 pm

synapse321 wrote:I forgot to add another solicitor said that I don't need to have a house survey done. Hence why I am asking this board whether that is true.

ie Do you need to have a house survey done to demonstrate there is no overcrowding for example?
I have been told this is desirable, if it is a rented accomodation. Also a letter from the Landlord(s) stating they do not have any objections to you living there etc. etc.

Basically, cover all bases as they do not need any help in refusing!

Good luck.

DavidJ.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:42 pm

As they say: if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Fri May 11, 2007 9:43 pm

synapse321 wrote:Sorry about the news.

I am not one for knocking organisations but the IAS told me that I only need 3 months worth of wage slips/bank statements.

The quality of advice does indeed vary from solicitor to solicitor.
I am not knocking the IAS. I hear they do good work. However, they have failed me. I don't care if it's an individual.

If you do not like what you are hearing, get further advice - especially here. this place is a goldmine of information.