ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civil judgments

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

layman

Civil judgments

Post by layman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi,

I have moved out of a rental property and would be filing a claim through the small claims process to recover my security deposit since the landlord is claiming unreasonable deductions.

Question is: in worst case scenario if I lose the claim in the county court(if it goes for hearing), would that be a civil judgement against me which I would have to declare during my ILR application next year?

If yes, could it impact the application negatively?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:25 pm

It wouldn't be a judgement against you (you wouldn't get a CCJ) as you're not the respondent. If the tenancy deposit was held in a scheme as it legally should be unless exempt, did you contact the deposit scheme?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

layman

Post by layman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks Amber. The part of UK I live, the deposit schemes only started from April '13.

I would want to avoid the courts but if the other party is not reasonable, then I do not want to accept the wrongdoing lying down. So was wondering if this would impact me if it does not turn out in my favor.

layman

Post by layman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

I would now be going through the small claims process to recover my deposit. If the landlord files a counter-claim and worst case the ruling goes against me, would that count as a CCJ against me?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:10 am

No.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Rubablu

FLO(0) application question no 6.3 page 15 for CCJ

Post by Rubablu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:59 pm

I am going to apply FLO(O) under family life in UK as my child have completed 7 years. But I have two CCJ for credit card. Do I need to say yes for question no 6.3 page 15 ? Because I am not sure its a civil judgement or not. If I have to say yes is that negative for my application ?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 pm

A CCJ for credit cards, is a Civil Judgement. Searchtrust online (click) to see what CCJs are registered under your name.

Rubablu

Post by Rubablu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 pm

D4109125 wrote:A CCJ for credit cards, is a Civil Judgement. Searchtrust online (click) to see what CCJs are registered under your name.
Are they going to refuse me for that ? This happened two months ago

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:38 pm

No they shouldn't, make sure you are making payments for your debts even if token payments. See question 19here (click) for places you can get help.

layman

Post by layman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:34 pm

layman wrote:I would now be going through the small claims process to recover my deposit. If the landlord files a counter-claim and worst case the ruling goes against me, would that count as a CCJ against me?
Amber_ wrote:No.
Just to update, my case went for a hearing and the court decided on a middle ground. I did ask the Judge that if a counterclaim had been successful, would it have been a CCJ against me. The Judge said "Yes"

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:42 pm

I misread that previously, however, a vicious claim by the Landlord would have unlikely succeeded.