ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Has anyone passed New version of life in the UK test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

immirams

Has anyone passed New version of life in the UK test

Post by immirams » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I have been looking at the questions and they are all trivial and so many bloody numbers one need to remember. This sounds more like an exam on british history.

closer25

Re: Has anyone passed New version of life in the UK test

Post by closer25 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi I passed in june and that was my first attempt....I would say it was ok, there wasn't so many of the numbers .
immirams wrote:I have been looking at the questions and they are all trivial and so many bloody numbers one need to remember. This sounds more like an exam on british history.

CSREDDY25

Post by CSREDDY25 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:27 pm

closer25 wrote:Hi I passed in june and that was my first attempt....I would say it was ok, there wasn't so many of the numbers .
immirams wrote:I have been looking at the questions and they are all trivial and so many bloody numbers one need to remember. This sounds more like an exam on british history.
Hi I passed it last week. Although you have to prepare all of the book the questions were ok.

KarthikJ
Newly Registered

Post by KarthikJ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:55 pm

I passed the test early this month. You need to have an idea of the chronological order of events. I found it a bit hard too.

Use this website for practise (after reading the official guide): http://www.theuktest.com/

chelsea2014

Post by chelsea2014 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 am

I failed the first time because I focused more on cramming the question and answer bit of the book without even opening the main book.

So I learned a BIG lesson and this time studied the main book (3rd) and passed all questions :)

There is a site with some useful questions (http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=78857.0;all)

Check out my study card for some common questions (http://quizlet.com/24565067/liuk-flash-cards/)

Also check out this score card by ymberlenis - Quite a comprehensive one (http://quizlet.com/22344431/life-in-the ... ash-cards/)

Hopefully this should get you started but be-warned study the book - really can't emphasize on this...

gre.bm691

Post by gre.bm691 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:08 am

Its easy provided you read the books.

I read two books, the main one and the Q and A one. I recommend to read the history chapter at least twice. Other sections are OK.

I have the two books if anyone wants it. PM me

chelsea2014

Post by chelsea2014 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:54 am

Also when answering questions, don't panic as you may be tempted to go back and change some answers :)

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 am

just a casual question
it's a long 3 yrs road ahead for me before i complete my ILR continuous period,
so should i bother about LIK test now, or can wait for sometime before attempting it?

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 am

abhisheks9 wrote:just a casual question
so should i bother about LIK test now, or can wait for sometime before attempting it?
Considering immigration rules are changed every 4-6 months these days, I would wait...

gre.bm691

Post by gre.bm691 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

The LIUK results are valid only for 2yrs. They might even revise the syllabus till then. Also, Rules are about to change in Oct when on there is a special English requirement. Seniors will correct me if I am wrong here. But I think. you need to wait.

aarnags

Post by aarnags » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 pm

My ILR due in Feb, Can I give LIUK test now or wait for Oct ?
Should I buy all three books for preparing ?

If I understand if you degree is taught in English then you do'nt need ESOL even after October ??

params0073

Post by params0073 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:07 pm

gre.bm691 wrote:

The LIUK results are valid only for 2yrs. They might even revise the syllabus till then. Also, Rules are about to change in Oct when on there is a special English requirement. Seniors will correct me if I am wrong here. But I think. you need to wait.
Who told you this or just a wild guess? The test result is valid forever i.e lifetime.Go through the link below

http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... 70.html#q4

How long is my certificate valid for?
Your Life in the UK Test Certificate does not have an expiry date on it. You should therefore keep it in a safe place until you are ready to submit the original with your application for Citizenship or Settlement.

We are not able to provide you with further copies of your test certificate. If you lose it, you should contact the Home Office who may ask you to take your test again.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm

thanks all for replying.
Reason i asked is, one of my friend who has same timeline like me has passed LIK recently, and did so as one of his friend told him to do before test gets tougher.

rmkirfan
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by rmkirfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 pm

gre.bm691 wrote:

Hi Guys..
Im eligible SET(LR) to apply from Sep 2013,If I had to apply in OCT , Whats is the change of English requirement(above statement)? At the moment Im preparing for LIUK. Does it going to change? or Its worth applying in SEP with LIUK? Please advice.
Many Thanks,
Irfan

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:55 pm

rmkirfan wrote:Im eligible SET(LR) to apply from Sep 2013,If I had to apply in OCT , Whats is the change of English requirement(above statement)?
Oct 2013: KOLL requirement - read the whole document, not just first page.

This has been discussed to death on this forum, please search existing posts before posting queries. What we know is what is stated in the above document. Do not dream up horror scenarios and ask for advice.

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 pm

abhisheks9 wrote:thanks all for replying.
Reason i asked is, one of my friend who has same timeline like me has passed LIK recently, and did so as one of his friend told him to do before test gets tougher.
Too late now, the new (tougher) version of the test is already in effect.

aarnags

Post by aarnags » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:08 pm

dimension7 wrote:
abhisheks9 wrote:thanks all for replying.
Too late now, the new (tougher) version of the test is already in effect.
If dependent having degree taught in Enlgish, Do they still need to pass ESOL ?

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 am

dimension7 wrote:
rmkirfan wrote:Im eligible SET(LR) to apply from Sep 2013,If I had to apply in OCT , Whats is the change of English requirement(above statement)?
Oct 2013: KOLL requirement - read the whole document, not just first page.

This has been discussed to death on this forum, please search existing posts before posting queries. What we know is what is stated in the above document. Do not dream up horror scenarios and ask for advice.
Thanks for the link. It clearly mentions that someone with degree taught in English don't need to go for English Language test.
so i guess someone like me who has claimed English language point in Tier-1(General) based on degree taught in Emglish, is automatically exempt from the test?

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 am

So here we go again.

Seriously guys, the document says what it says. We dont know more, so you are asking us to speculate? If you cant understand the English in the document, you definitely need an English language course.

Qwerty-UK

Post by Qwerty-UK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 am

It's easy, I finished it in under 10 minutes (and I'm a uni dropout).

As someone said, exact dates don't matter as long as you know the rough order of events. Just read through the entire book and make short notes, even the bits you think you may know already.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:30 am

Hi KarthikJ / CSREDDY25 / closer25

Would be grateful if you could post the exact text on the new LIUK pass certificate for the benefit of the members. Please omit any personal details.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew*Debbie
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Andrew*Debbie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 pm

It doesn't say much besides that you've passed.

If no one else posts, I'll try and put up something tonight.
Last edited by Andrew*Debbie on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew*Debbie
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Andrew*Debbie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Pass Notification Letter
Life in the UK Test

Test Instance ID: XXXXXXXXX

Following your test today in the knowledge of life in the United Kingdom this is to certify that you have reached the level required for the purposes of obtaining indefinte leave to remain under the Immigration Rules or for naturalisation as a British citizen under section 6 of the British Nationality Act 1981. Your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain. No further proof of this is needed. We shall notify the Home Office of this result electronically but please also submit this letter to them with your application form and fee.

Last Name:
First Name:
Middle Name:
Present Nationality:
Date of Birth:
Town of Birth:
Country of Birth:
Current Postcode:

By siging below I state that I have taken and passed the Life in the UK Test at an accredited Life in the UK Test centre and in accordance wit the test conitionas as explained to me at the test centre named below.

Candidate Signature:

Supplier ID:
Test Center ID:

< other ID numbers, names and dates omitted. >

vrsuk

Post by vrsuk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi,

Its very easy, dont panic, keep target for 18,

Believe it or not I have completed in < 3 minutes with 100% correct :D

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks a lot. Myself and my family already got the ILR, but wanted to know if there is any change in what they state on the letter after new test. Though, my son, who will turn to 18 years in a month's time (he already got the ILR) may need to write the LIUK for his Naturalisation application. Hence my query.