ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Resumption of British Citizenship and future children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uktohk
Newly Registered

Resumption of British Citizenship and future children

Post by uktohk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone can help me with the following as i have been researching for weeks and its still unclear.

-I am a british citizen by birth.
- I will be renouncing my British Citizenship in order to gain Citizenship in another Country (china)
-After i obtain the Chinese citizenship i would like to resume my British Citizenship

Questions

1. How Long does the renounce of British Citizenship take (a very rough timescale will be fine)

2. After i obtain Chinese Citizenship, how long does the process take to Resume the British Citizenship (rough time scale)

3. If my future children are born outside of the United Kingdom, are they still British Citizens by decent? ( by this time i will of Resumed by British Citizenship)

I already know that 1 and 2 are possible so i would just like a estimated timescale, but for question 3 this is quite unclear, as i read that my future children will not be classed as british Citizens by decent if i have previously renounced the Citizenship.

I have found this link on the UK border website, - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ndresumed/

The confusing part is the requirement of " the child was born before the date of resumption; and"
(does this mean that after my resumption, any future children will no longer be british citizens by decent?)

If anyone can help me or give me some advice then that would be much appreciated. The most important question is number 3 regarding future children.

Thanks!

barnaby

Re: Resumption of British Citizenship and future children

Post by barnaby » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:12 pm

uktohk wrote:The confusing part is the requirement of " the child was born before the date of resumption; and" (does this mean that after my resumption, any future children will no longer be british citizens by decent?)
I don't think so. According to the BNA (14(1)(g)), if you are a British citizen by descent now, you will be a British citizen by descent after resumption. That suggests (though I'm not an expert or lawyer!) that the status of children born after resumption will be the same as those born before you renounce citizenship.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:37 pm

What will happen to your newly acquired Chinese citizenship if you successfully resume your British citizenship?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

uktohk
Newly Registered

Post by uktohk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks for the replies

I was hoping that once I resume the citizenship then my future kids will have the right to be a British citizen too.

But as the link I posted says, only applies to "kids born before the resumption"

Was hoping that someone has seen this in a real case?

Also if you are a Chinese citizen, they say once you take a foreign citizenship then your Chinese nationality will be lost but in Hong Kong they seem to turn a blind eye to this and not recognise any other citizenship

If anyone can help then that would be great because of it means that my future kids who are not born in the uk won't be a British citizen then I probably won't renounce and resume my british citizenship

Thanks a lot

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:19 pm

uktohk wrote:as the link I posted says, only applies to "kids born before the resumption"
I guess that's because the status of "kids born after the resumption" is obvious, so they only spell out the case of "kids born before the resumption"?

uktohk
Newly Registered

Post by uktohk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

thanks for the reply barnaby! lets hope you are correct :)