ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-entering UK after Tier 1 expires

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

savitar
Newly Registered

Re-entering UK after Tier 1 expires

Post by savitar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi all,

Long time no post, hope everyone is well.

I have a tier 1 visa which has been extended once so coming up to 5 years. It will expire on Nov 15th and I have no plans to re-apply.

My plans are to quit work around the middle / end of October and head back to OZ (I have an Australian passport) for 2-4 weeks to sort out the essentials (rent, car etc etc), then return to the UK for a few weeks to help my fiance and I pack and ship all our stuff home (house hold, cars etc) then leave around mid Dec.

My question is this, what is the reaction for the border agency likely to be for me returning after my visa is expired on a tourist visa for a few weeks to sort out the movement of my things (wrapping up affairs here)? Would it be better to return within my visa timeframe (I.e. leave Oct 15, return Nov 10th, 5 days before it expires) OR better to return AFTER the visa expires?

On my return I can have documents about rent cancellation in the UK, job resigning in the UK, goods and car shipping dates etc etc but can't guarantee a job / rent in OZ at that point (would hope to have it worked out but can't guarantee).

Any thoughts on the most likely option for the least hassle would be appreciated.

Thanks.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Why not do it within the time frame of your visa, would save loads of potential hassle.
pennyless

savitar
Newly Registered

Post by savitar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:Why not do it within the time frame of your visa, would save loads of potential hassle.
Hmm....So here is the problem. My partner can not move back till around Dec 10th and I need to go back to Oz around Mid / End of Oct. So either I stay in Australia (very unfair for my partner to have to sort everything out) or head to OZ, then come back and leave with her around 10th Dec.

Now if I enter the country under the working visa I MUST leave the country on Nov 15th, but if I enter as a visitor I should be fine.

So I will return around middle of Nov (around the time my visa expires) so want to know what the best option is.

Surely I am not the first person to do this.....

Wehi
Newly Registered

Post by Wehi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:00 pm

You will likely get some grief on arrival as you will trigger red flags on the computer.

My old flatmate did pretty much the same thing you are proposing when her working holiday visa expired and they almost sent her packing from Heathrow arrivals. She did eventually get through after a lengthy delay and alot of explaining.

Your strategy of having some documents with you to show the border control officer is the correct one. You have to satisfy them that you are going to leave the country again so if you can show that the big move is in process and you are simply here to box stuff up they are unlikely to stop you from entering. Expect to be questioned about it though.

Make sure you have a return ticket, not one way.

savitar
Newly Registered

Post by savitar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 am

Wehi wrote:You will likely get some grief on arrival as you will trigger red flags on the computer.

My old flatmate did pretty much the same thing you are proposing when her working holiday visa expired and they almost sent her packing from Heathrow arrivals. She did eventually get through after a lengthy delay and alot of explaining.

Your strategy of having some documents with you to show the border control officer is the correct one. You have to satisfy them that you are going to leave the country again so if you can show that the big move is in process and you are simply here to box stuff up they are unlikely to stop you from entering. Expect to be questioned about it though.

Make sure you have a return ticket, not one way.
Thanks. Sounds like a simple plan for this one. The working holiday return is always a difficult one as people do try to stay on when not allowed but I would hope with end of lease documents, quitting job confirmation, return flight home etc that they would not give me too much grief.

Thanks!!