ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

on ILR away for 2yrs and back to UK now

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajesh_dwh
Newly Registered

on ILR away for 2yrs and back to UK now

Post by rajesh_dwh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:58 am

Hi,

I got my ILR in oct 2010 and has been away for 2yrs. In those 2yrs I visited UK only once. I am back to UK in March 2012. So, my question is am I eligible for applying naturalisation or when can I apply.

please let me know.

Regards,
Rajesh

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am

The residence requirements are :
Residential requirements
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:
- been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
- been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
- not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
- not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/

Citizenship FAQs

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rajesh_dwh
Newly Registered

Post by rajesh_dwh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Still confused.

Residential requirements
- been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); --- Yes, I am
- been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; -- is this including the period after getting the ILR?
- not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and --- does it includes 5yrs from date of application for naturalisation or before getting the ILR?
- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and ---i.e even after having the ILR?
- not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm

rajesh_dwh wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Still confused.

Residential requirements
- been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); --- Yes, I am - well you have been away for 2 years so technically not resident but maybe a moderator can confirm.
- been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; -- is this including the period after getting the ILR? Yes, including ILR
- not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and --- does it includes 5yrs from date of application for naturalisation or before getting the ILR? From date of UKBA receiving your application and including the time on ILR. So if you apply on 15 September 2013 for example, the residence period starts on 14th September 2008 and you must have been physically present on the exact day 5 years before when you apply/UKBA receives your application otherwise you will be refused.
- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and ---i.e even after having the ILR? Yes, not more than 90 days in the 12 months before you apply for Citizenship/UKBA receives your application. There is some discretion, for example if you were out of the UK for 100 days, but it is discretion.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm

You're still a settled resident (or should be) as you didn't spend 2 years out of the UK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 am

rajesh_dwh,

You can technically apply when you have been in the uk for a period of 5 yrs from the date of last entry provided you do not have another absence of more than 450 days in those 5 years and also in the last year it should shouldn't be more than 90 days.
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.