ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PROTEST

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu May 17, 2007 8:29 pm

I think if we protest in front of GNIB Dublin,we are going to get lost in the middle of the Asylum seekers,visa applicants etc...since this is election time, let's embarass the heck out of Michael McDowell! Let's protest in front of his office or where ever he campaigns, this will embarass him during a sensitive time and also get media coverage for us...If we protest in front of his home it may get us in trouble over privacy issues.His office will be more high profile.
Last edited by archigabe on Thu May 17, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babsie

Post by Babsie » Thu May 17, 2007 8:31 pm

I've no idea where he lives though

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu May 17, 2007 8:32 pm

Let me do some reseach on it.I will try to post it tomorrow.Maybe the all mighty Google might help!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu May 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Lets also try to get some more details on the court case using the freedom of Information act.
The website address is

http://www.oic.gov.ie/en/CourtJudgments/

Below is the type of information that can be obtained...unfortunately some of them are not free...

http://www.oic.gov.ie/en/MakeanFOIRequest/Fees/

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri May 18, 2007 8:39 am

Michael McDowell's office is on "The Triangle" right in the middle of Ranelagh. He lives close by. I'd advise against protesting outside his home as you'd lose sympathy for this cause, his office would be a safer bet.

Make sure to advise the Media if you are going ahead with this, as given the current timing wtih the Election, they love nothing better than some issue with a politican to cover. You can focus on the fact that it was Mr McDowells Department who incorrectly interpreted the Directive and has directly caused this issue.

Outside the GNIB is the more typical place to protest, but as Archigabe says, this may get lost among the many protests that have taken place there.

If I can offer another suggestion, I'd try to ensure that I'd try to be very clear & unified in the purpose of your protest, e.g. that the EU introduced legislation in 2004 which had to be implemented in 2006 by all EU countries, that allows for free movement & residency (& working rights) of it's citizens and their families within the EU; and that Ireland is violating that Directive and refusing applications for residency by family members.You can go on to explain the hardship this is causing to families by preventing the non-EU spouse from working, and leaving family members with no right of residence.

I just worry that if people start going on about other issues (e.g. Nazi war criminals, burning flags, or even other immigration issues etc.) that this protest will end up looking like a group of malcontents, rather than the focusing on this specific valid pressing issue.

Just my tuppence worth.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Fri May 18, 2007 9:35 am

you are Right Scrudu.. we should take only one problem which we all are facing now:(

i have another question: How can we inform media about the protest?

megmog

Post by megmog » Fri May 18, 2007 9:37 am

guys, tuesday is also going to be difficult for me because of work - cant we do saturday? I need to get up to dublin from kerry but I will definitely be there on sat (27th)

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am

Not a bad idea .. i guess most of us will be free on sat. 27th May.
i would like to see the comments from others.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Fri May 18, 2007 10:44 am

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 am

Even if it means less people, I'd imagine a weekday is more likely to be noticed. Check out the newspapers e.g. Contact Details for Irish Times http://www.ireland.com/about/contact/ or RTE at http://www.rte.ie/about/contact.html

I'd also get on to Joe Duffy (radio presenter), as he is pretty amazing at embarassing officials/businesses to own up to their responsibilities!

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Fri May 18, 2007 11:10 am

Plaasjapie wrote:that is after election day.
oppss i Forgot that ... yes it should be done b4 elections ..... so any day which is suitable for the rest, i can come and be a part of OUR PROTEST!!

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri May 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Let me know what day you guys decide and ill try get up for it if i can.
Happy now in the U.K. not so happy about the Rugby

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri May 18, 2007 1:53 pm

So are we going to get together to protest on May22nd?
Michael McDowell's office would be a good place to start the protest...shame and embarrassment are powerful motivators especially during elections.

Michael McDowell Constituency Office is at,
54 Ranelagh Village,
Ranelagh,
Dublin 6

I was passing by east side of St.Stephen's green today...somebody had painted a crude sign on McDowell's head on the election poster...I don't know who did it, but I think he's got his heart in the right place! :)

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Fri May 18, 2007 2:36 pm

Just been speaking to a girl at work her Boyfreind is a dj on one of the local stations she is going to speak with him and see if he minds having a chat see what we can turn up that way.
Happy now in the U.K. not so happy about the Rugby

Static

Post by Static » Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 pm

still all for it! and better idea in Ranelagh I think. how many people do we have so far then..?

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Fri May 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Sample letter

Post by archigabe » Sat May 19, 2007 7:28 am

Plaasjapie wrote:maybe post your letters here for suggestions before sending them off?

Or would it be better to send lots of different letters?
Here's a version of the letter I wrote to the Irish Times.Maybe someone can change it a bit and send it to Metro and Herald AM.Since most of us are in the same situation, it might be relevant for all of us.Please change appropriate details.

Dear Readers,
Since this is election time, I'd like to bring to your notice one aspect of Justice Minister Michael McDowell's mismanagement of European Regulations in Ireland concerning European Nationals and their spouses.Even though the European Commission's Free movement of Labour Laws explicitly guarantees residency benefits for Non-National spouses of E.U citizens without any conditions, the minister has chosen to apply the law with a condition thrown in that they should have lived together else where in E.U before moving here.Since I have been in Ireland for the last 6 years and paying my taxes,I feel that not only have my rights as a European Citizen been violated, my human Rights as well to enjoy a family with my husband. While someone has challenged the constitutionality of the Irish law, the case has seen plenty of delays in the courts forcing us to a life of hardship on a single income, while many of us have babies on the way or illnesses.This seems more and more like a ploy by the Department of Justice into harassing E.U citizens with Non E.U spouses to return back to their home countries.What seems ironic is that E.U citizens seem to have lesser rights in Ireland than Asylum seekers who have no such conditions of residency imposed on them for family reunification!

While Mr.McDowell may think that the application of E.U laws by his department is upto his discretion and whimsy,He is guilty of violating treaties signed by Ireland with the E.U.
Regards,
XXX
Last edited by archigabe on Sat May 19, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat May 19, 2007 7:33 am

Here's the contact details of Irish Times for 'Letters to the Editor'
'lettersed@irish-times.ie'

Metro
'mail@metroireland.ie'

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat May 19, 2007 8:09 am

The Irish times have a special series on immigration in Ireland called 'Changing Places'
http://www.ireland.com/focus/gageby/
Maybe we can contact the reporter focussing on immigration issues there.
The email contact address is
changingplaces@ireland.com
changingplaces@irish-times.ie

We need to bring this issue to public notice!

Static

Post by Static » Sat May 19, 2007 10:03 am

I'll send as well. Thanks for the addresses.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat May 19, 2007 10:17 am

You're welcome!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:15 pm

The best way to get media coverage is to interrupt political campaigning not only by the PDs but Fianna Fail as well... Look at all the coverage the rumble in Ranelagh got. Try to follow McDowell on his campaign trail and interrupt him at every opportunity.

I should also add that he has been taken on in public before and all he did was give a smile and essentially ignored the plight of the woman who said his unjust policies had ruined her life and split up her family.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun May 20, 2007 4:15 pm

I guess we should make sure we attend the court hearing when the case comes up in the High court! Does anyone know when and under which judge the case is going to be heard?

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sun May 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon May 21, 2007 7:40 am

Guys... is tuesday final day for Protest ? How many of us and what time should we get together and where ?