ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa or Settlement - Confusion

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

expatinuk
Newly Registered

Visitor visa or Settlement - Confusion

Post by expatinuk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 am

I am a British citizen by naturalisation and my wife has ILR. Our child is eligible for settlement/citizenship, but has been in India since birth. We want to bring her to the UK, but want to do so quickly. I understand that processing settlement visa/passport can take up to 3 months.

I would be grateful if the forum members could clarify my questions below:

Can we bring our child on visitor visa and apply for settlement/citizenship once she is here?

If yes, one of the requirements for visitor visa is strong ties to India. She does not have strong ties to India, so what do we do in this case?

I understand that visitor visa can be fast tracked by paying extra. Is she eligible for that considering that she hasn't travelled outside India before?

Must both parents be present in India when the application is made? Can my wife submit my documents on my behalf?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:07 am

When and where was your child born?
What were the parents' UK immigration status at the time of child's birth?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

expatinuk
Newly Registered

Post by expatinuk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:14 am

The child was born in India and at the time of her birth both parents were on ILR (settled).

I am not that fussed about applying for her citizenship. I am more interested in getting her to the UK quickly and apply for her settlement here if that is possible.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 am

As you have said, it's difficult for the child to go to the UK as a visitor and switch to settled status.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

expatinuk
Newly Registered

Post by expatinuk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks vinny. I thought so. I guess I will just apply for settlement in India for her and request that the application be expedited. I am not sure they will agree though.