ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PROTEST

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Static

Post by Static » Mon May 21, 2007 9:24 am

Sahil wrote:Guys... is tuesday final day for Protest ? How many of us and what time should we get together and where ?
I am up for it.. just worries me that only 3/4 people will arrive :( or even less. Let's post final ok's here like this:

Yes

4 people

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 am

Thanks Static

Here is the list of people who are in this thread and wrote that they could make it.

Megmog
Static
Plaasjapie
Birdy
Babsie
Archigabe
scrudu
and myself

Plus if all of us can bring atleast one person with us that will count 16 People.

So, Guys ...... please Vote "yes or no" for Protest on Tuesday 22nd May'07.

My Vote: A Big Yes

Regards,

Static

Post by Static » Mon May 21, 2007 10:34 am

yes! :)

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Mon May 21, 2007 12:19 pm

Birdy didnt say he could make it sorry i have to work my two jobs :( sorry to let you down
Happy now in the U.K. not so happy about the Rugby

malcolm
Newly Registered

Post by malcolm » Mon May 21, 2007 12:27 pm

just spoke to a friend, who had his application turned down, and he will be at the protest.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon May 21, 2007 10:09 pm

Ok, I will be there! Are we sure about meeting in front of McDowell's house? What time?
Thanks!

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Tue May 22, 2007 7:03 am

All th best Guys and good luck me and the missus are with you in thought.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue May 22, 2007 7:58 am

archigabe wrote:Ok, I will be there! Are we sure about meeting in front of McDowell's house? What time?
Thanks!

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Tue May 22, 2007 9:51 am

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Static

Post by Static » Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 am

me too.. well not fishing but something other than protesting too.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Tue May 22, 2007 9:56 am

what about 3:00 pm today ?

how many we have ?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 am

sign me up for 3pm today at Ranelagh in front of McDowell's house.I am available.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 am

Anyone else .. who is free for Protest at 3:00 Pm today ?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue May 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Is no one except me and Sahil coming?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue May 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Since it seems like only 2 of us might show up today, can we reschedule for another date?

Static

Post by Static » Tue May 22, 2007 3:17 pm

I had to get my kids at school then.. :( when are the elections?

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Tue May 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Platinum

protest letter

Post by Platinum » Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi. I've written a letter, but it's too long, especially for the Irish Times. Any help trimming it down?

Dear Sir/Madam:

During this election time, I’d like to draw your attention to a group of people who can’t vote, but are trying desperately to gain legal residence and recognition from the Irish government: non-EU spouses of EU citizens.

EU Directive 2004/38/EC gives non-EU family members of EU citizens the right to live and work in another EU state with their loved one. Under this freedom of movement law, individual states are given six months from application to supply the non-EU member with residency papers. However, such papers do not convey the right to live and work- they are merely an administrative formality for the host EU state. In fact, the EU laws specifically state that in no instance should the non-EU member be required to show such papers to acquire any services, employment, or residency. The mere fact of marriage to an EU citizen conveys those rights.

The Irish Department of Justice’s interpretation of Directive 2004/38/EC is in blatant violation of EU laws and human rights.

Not only is the process of applying for a residency card (through the EU1 form) opaque, inefficient and frustrating, but the Dept. of Justice is taking longer than the EU-mandated six months to process the paperwork. Furthermore, in direct violation of Directive 2004/38/EC, the Irish government makes possession of the residency card a prerequisite for working in this country. This means that some of us have been waiting for up to nine months for a decision on the EU1 and having to survive on one income, despite being able and eager to contribute to the Irish economy.

Even worse, the GNIB refuses to stamp the non-EU passport with a residency or other stamp. This means that those of us who entered the country and were given one-month stamps and told to report to the GNIB at Burgh Quay are here without proper proof of our legal right to reside in the country with our family members. When my husband and I went over to the UK for a wedding celebration with his family, for instance, upon return into Dublin, we were forced to prove our relationship yet again to the immigration officer. The immigration officer, not knowing what to do, gave me yet another one month stamp and told me to report to Burgh Quay, who could not or would not give me a residency stamp, even just to cover the period during which my EU1 form is being processed. My husband refuses to travel out of the country again, as he is afraid next time the immigration officer might simply refuse to allow me back into the country. There have been reports of immigration officers at Dublin airport not believing that an EU1 applicant is married and legally allowed into the country.

Those who come from a visa-required country are in even worse shape, as they must beg the government for a multiple-entry visa. If they don’t get one, they are essentially trapped here.

The Dept. of Justice has rejected EU1 applications with the reason that the applicants have not shown that they had legally resided in another EU state prior to living in Ireland. This requirement does not appear anywhere in Directive 2004/38/EC. Not only that, but Ireland’s EU1 application doesn’t even ask for such proof. The Dept. of Justice is judging and rejecting applicants based on information that wasn’t asked for in the application! It is completely arbitrary and nonsensical. If the Irish government wants proof that such marriages are genuine and not marriages of convenience, that’s fine. Ask for proof of a genuine marriage. But to simply fabricate rules, out of thin air, is unacceptable.

We EU1 applicants would dearly love to make our lives here in Ireland. But the Dept. of Justice is making it impossible. We ask for redress of our grievances.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Tue May 22, 2007 5:17 pm

I might send the letter off to McDowell and others, as well as Indymedia.ie.

If any of you would like to support this and have your name on the signture page, please let me know and PM me your names.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Tue May 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri May 25, 2007 9:58 pm

McDowell has lost his seat and has resigned from public life... Hopefully the new minister for Justice gets something done... But to be honest, I doubt anything will change!

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 pm

Yes the man is gone !!!!

He will be remembered for all the crap he did for Immigrants

Citizenship rights abondoned for Irish born child for foreigners.
and slow slow slow progress in Immigration department

He deserves a slap on the face and kick in the back !

pahadia
Ireland

Post by pahadia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 pm

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/immigrants- ... 667-2.html

Immigrants refused green cards take to Gandhigiri

Washington: Indian workers in the US have resorted to Gandhigiri after the American government offered and reversed its decision to provide them green cards.

The immigrants sent boxes of flowers to US immigration authorities over the State Department's U-turn.

Up to half-a-million people - including thousands of Indians - will be affected by the move and they blame Emilio Gonzales, the man who heads the immigration services.

"Gonzales and his institution USCIS has done something really bad really wrong. And I think he must be really guilty and unwell so this is our way to tell them get well soon, our way to cheer them up," says an immigrant, Dhiren Gadhia.

The idea to flood the US Center for Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS originated online and rapidly gained momentum at an immigration forum called Immigration Voice.

Delivery services like DHL say they arranged for large trucks to manage the order.

“This morning we had about 60-80 boxes of flowers to be delivered so they had to put it in a bigger truck because they wouldn't fit in my van,â€