ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering within 28 days?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

patrickmacgill
Newly Registered

Entering within 28 days?

Post by patrickmacgill » Wed May 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi. I got a fiance visa in April 13, good for six months from the date of the applicaiton approval to marry my partner in August. I wasn't planning to join my partner until late June but this morning I read online that people on spousal or fiance visas are expected to enter the UK within 28 days of the date of issue.

Is this true? I've never come across the 28 day requirement before and the Consulate officer in New York didn't mention it either when I told him I was planning to arrive in the UK in late June. Any help would be appreciated.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed May 23, 2007 3:06 pm

I don't think that holds true for a fiance visa; I was under the impression that you just had to enter the UK in enough time to be able to amrry and apply for the spousal visa before the expiry of the fiance visa. But, tbh, I'm not 100% sure. Where online did you read this?

patrickmacgill
Newly Registered

Post by patrickmacgill » Wed May 23, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I've always been under the impression that as long as we've registered the marriage in person at the respective UK registry 14 days before the wedding, all is good.

I found the information on ukvisas.gov.uk

"Please check your visa when you get it. You should make sure that:

your personal details are correct
it correctly states the purpose for which you want to come to the UK, and
it is valid for the date on which you want to travel. If you have been granted entry clearance as a husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner with a two year limit you will need to enter the UK within 28 days of the start date shown on your visa. You should advise the Entry Clearance Officer of your exact date of travel before your visa is issued. (You can ask for it to be post-dated for up to three months if you do not plan to travel immediately.) "

Maybe I'm just being overly paronoid or I misunderstood the above text.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed May 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Ah ok, I see where you're getting that. That is specifically for visas that are for two years (FLR). An unmarried partner visa is different than a fiance visa. You should be fine.

PS- Someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong :D