ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cheque or draft?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

imran22
Member of Standing

Cheque or draft?

Post by imran22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:08 pm

We all know that the language rules are changing around 28th October. As I am eligible to apply from 15th October I want to make sure I weed out any possibilities of my application returning without a decision. One of the things is payment. I know some cards companies block the request and sometime this happens even if you inform them. For this reason I am planning to pay by cheque as the fees leaflet gave this option.

Now I am aware that applications with cheque payments take extra time. I was wondering if paying by draft make the application go through as same speed as card payment as it is kind of pre-paid cheque.

Also why does the fees leaflet doesn’t say word “draft”. Is payment by draft allowed? Does anyone have any first-hand experience of using drafts for naturalisation application?

Many thanks for your response.

p2kin

Re: Cheque or draft?

Post by p2kin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:02 pm

imran22 wrote: Also why does the fees leaflet doesn’t say word “draft”. Is payment by draft allowed? Does anyone have any first-hand experience of using drafts for naturalisation application?
I Actually thought on same line as you... Although I haven't seen anything mentioned specially about Banker's Draft on payment slip, I know quite a few people who paid by Banker's draft for their application. The only logic I can apply is Banker's Draft is a kind of Cheque (with payment guaranteed).. so I suppose that is covered with Cheque payment.

I'm not sure how much time it takes to clear cheque/Draft, but one thing is sure Card payments are (if/when they go through) are faster than normal cheque.

To my surprise, I've see people paid by cheque & even before their payment taken date on bank statement, application acknowledgement letter date was earlier.. check out Jul/Aug timelines...

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm

imran22 wrote:We all know that the language rules are changing around 28th October. As I am eligible to apply from 15th October I want to make sure I weed out any possibilities of my application returning without a decision. One of the things is payment. I know some cards companies block the request and sometime this happens even if you inform them. For this reason I am planning to pay by cheque as the fees leaflet gave this option.

Now I am aware that applications with cheque payments take extra time. I was wondering if paying by draft make the application go through as same speed as card payment as it is kind of pre-paid cheque.

Also why does the fees leaflet doesn’t say word “draft”. Is payment by draft allowed? Does anyone have any first-hand experience of using drafts for naturalisation application?

You can pay by Banker's draft.
My wife paid by draft for her application without any problem. Also the Ack letter was issued two days after HO received her application so i guess that was quite normal and probably would have taken the same time even if we would have paid by card.

desertlord

Post by desertlord » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:34 pm

[quote="cricinfo"][quote="imran22"]We all know that the language rules are changing around 28th October. As I am eligible to apply from 15th October I want to make sure I weed out any possibilities of my application returning without a decision. One of the things is payment. I know some cards companies block the request and sometime this happens even if you inform them. For this reason I am planning to pay by cheque as the fees leaflet gave this option.

Many thanks for your response.[/quote]

My wife paid by draft for her application without any problem. Also the Ack letter was issued two days after HO received her application so i guess that was quite normal and probably would have taken the same time even if we would have paid by card.[/quote]

Hi cricinfo,

who's name do you put on the cheque

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:56 pm

desertlord wrote:
cricinfo wrote:
imran22 wrote:We all know that the language rules are changing around 28th October. As I am eligible to apply from 15th October I want to make sure I weed out any possibilities of my application returning without a decision. One of the things is payment. I know some cards companies block the request and sometime this happens even if you inform them. For this reason I am planning to pay by cheque as the fees leaflet gave this option.

My wife paid by draft for her application without any problem. Also the Ack letter was issued two days after HO received her application so i guess that was quite normal and probably would have taken the same time even if we would have paid by card.
Hi cricinfo,

who's name do you put on the cheque
The Accounting Officer, Home Office.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Members

I was reading about the draft and apparently it goes through the same process as a normal cheque albeit it gives the receiver peace of mind as it is already cleared money.

Now the question is do we know if home office put the application on hold for cheque and let it through for the draft?

The downside of draft though is you wouldn’t be able to find out when it was cashed, is that true?

Thanks

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 am

Anybody paid by cheque recently? What did you write at the back of the cheque? How many days it took Home office ot take the money? Did you staple the cheque to the payment slip?

Sorry for too many questions but will be really grateful if somebody can answer them.

Many thanks