ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Totally confused. Foreign girlfriend

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Totally confused. Foreign girlfriend

Post by jgrime99 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi I am totally confused. I have contacted the UKborderagency and am now even more confused.

I am british and have a british passport. My girlfriend is Colombian and we have a son together who has a british passport.

I keep hearing about she has to be a british citizen or a british naturalisation and also that she has to take various English tests.

Every time I google I go straight to the ukborderagency site.

I have read the stikys and am still confused.

What does she need to do to get a passport.

She has an indefinite visa to stay here forever.

She has lived here for 16 years.

She lives here for the majority of the year. Ie 11 months give or take a couple of holidays.

Can anyone help. Thanks so much in advance.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm

If you are asking whether a person with ILR (indefinite leave to remain) is compelled or required to acquire BC the answer is no. She can happily remain in the UK as a Columbian with the status of settled resident, all without prejudice to her normal rights. Is that okay?

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:53 am

Sorry no, We want her to get a british passport for ease of travel. What do we need to do. thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:47 am

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Sorry thanks for the reply but like i said in my initial piece i find the border agency website totally confusing.

She covers all the things that mean she will get a passport easily enough im sure.

I just dont understand what i need to do and in what order.

I believe she has to take an exam? Do we do this first? I believe she has to apply for naturalisation but not sure what that means. Im totally confused.

I have emailed the border agency they reply with confusing links too.

What do i need to do? Where do i do these things? How do i apply for them? In what order etc...

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Everything you need to know is on that webpage and its links. It's actually designed for people who are not native English speakers so even if you don't understand perhaps she might! Otherwise, you can seek the services of immigration professionals who, for a fee, will assist her with the process.

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Ok, do you agree that this is the order I need to proceed...

1) take the "life in the uk" test
2) fill in the application form.
3) send off?

Is that all or does that just gain me British Citizenship?

Once I have got her British Citizenship how does she then get her passport?

thanks a lot again.

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Sorry to ask another question.

She already has "indefinite leave to remain" , Does she still need to take the "life in the uk" test in order to get a british passport?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 pm

If she got her ilr before the kol was introduced (2007?) she will have to pass it before she can naturalise.

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Ok she did so she will.

Thanks.

Once she has passed this test and processed her application I guess she is a british citizen?

Is that all she needs to do or does she then need to do more things to get her british passport?

Thanks?

Nb does the fact our son has a british passport make anything easier?

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 pm

jgrime99 wrote:Ok she did so she will.

Thanks.

Once she has passed this test and processed her application I guess she is a british citizen?

Is that all she needs to do or does she then need to do more things to get her british passport?

Thanks?

Nb does the fact our son has a british passport make anything easier?
You did not say how she meets the English Language requirments, she needs to make sure that she has the correct levels and the documents to prove it.
Once she has had her citizenship ceremony she can apply for her passport. Having a British Child makes no difference
pennyless

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm

She doesn't meet the requirement yet but I have booked her a life in the uk test.

Assuming she passes what happens then?

I am filling in her application form and it seems they want to know everywhere she has been in the last 5 years. A lot of the passport stamps are unclear?

Does it need to be 100% accurate?

thanks

gg234

Post by gg234 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 am

Make sure you applied before 28th oct 2013 with Life in the UK Test otherwise she need to pass B1 level english language test.

Make sure those date are as nearly as possible to your actual ones

jgrime99 wrote:She doesn't meet the requirement yet but I have booked her a life in the uk test.

Assuming she passes what happens then?

I am filling in her application form and it seems they want to know everywhere she has been in the last 5 years. A lot of the passport stamps are unclear?

Does it need to be 100% accurate?

thanks

jgrime99
Newly Registered

Post by jgrime99 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks. She has taken the test 2 times now and failed both times? Since we have now gone past the 28th of oct does she need to do something else too?

thanks