ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

urgent British Citizen Ceremony, but travelling to india

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Smkuk

urgent British Citizen Ceremony, but travelling to india

Post by Smkuk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,

I had attended my ceremony and got the certificate.
now i have to apply for british passport, but i need to travel urgent to india.

I donot want to surrender my indian passport, come back after 3 months and then surrender indian passport and apply for british passport.

please advice me what I have to do and how long i can travel on indian passport.

VR

3 months from date of ceremony

Post by VR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:26 am

smkuk,

You are allowed to travel for 3 months using the Indian Passport.
1)Make sure you surrender it and apply for OCI in time.
2)When you exit the UK make sure you carry your Citizenship Certificate with you safely (you might need it while re-entering).
cheers
vr

Smkuk

Post by Smkuk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Pls elaborate while coming back immigration office will ask certificate or its optional he may can ask for it.

please explain me while coming back my indian nationality will be cancelled or its optional for immigration officer to ask for certificate.

thanks

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Smkuk wrote:Pls elaborate while coming back immigration office will ask certificate or its optional he may can ask for it.

please explain me while coming back my indian nationality will be cancelled or its optional for immigration officer to ask for certificate.

thanks

when coming back join non eu non brit Q and have ur certificare handy the will let u in the country

Smkuk

Post by Smkuk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:11 pm

so that means i can legally travel india. on indian passport and come back to uk, and they will not allow me in on my ILR but on certificate they will allow me.

will i have any problem in india while i arrive and depart on indian passport?

pls tell if i understood wrong?
pls explain in details.

VR

no

Post by VR » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 pm

will i have any problem in india while i arrive and depart on indian passport?

Unless you are a member of the SIMI/IML you have no issues etc LOL!!!
cheers
vr

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:26 pm

If you declare your British Citizenship to Indian authorities you could be in trouble so best is not to declare your BC while in India.

On your return to UK, most probably you will be allowed to enter UK on your ILR but if immigration officer asks you then you can show your naturalization certificate.

samkma
Member of Standing

Post by samkma » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:39 pm

There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel.

See http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.html
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho