ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accepted Professions (sticky)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

John

Post by John » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 am

Well the Manager in charge of Production is a Manager!

Need I say more?
John

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am

Does anyone know if a retired nurse would be an acceptable referee?

There seems to be no way to get in touch with the UKBA for such enquiries :?

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 am

I doubt, as retired, the professional registration may have lapsed, however that doesn't mean that she will not be called a nurse. Bit of grey area.

Ask if the registration is valid.
Looking at the list, seems like person has to be working.

Find someone else to be on safe side.

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks neoseal. I'll check if their registration is valid, but like you say it's a grey area and I'd rather be on the safe side.

I think I have another potential though - a sister of a friend. We only occasional meet at gatherings so we know each other but are not close friends.

What sort of questions would I be asked about a referee, or what sort of questions would the referee be asked about me?

I don't think we know too much about each others personal lives, but she knows I'm not a criminal :lol:

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 am

neoseal wrote:I doubt, as retired, the professional registration may have lapsed, however that doesn't mean that she will not be called a nurse. Bit of grey area.

It's a grey area; for instance, when you apply for a passport, they have the same list of professionals and they specify that the person can be retired (and must have known you for 2 years); in case of BC application, they must have known you for 3 years and it doesn't say if they can be retired or not; my guess is that if you use a retired person, they are probably not going to check, but if they do check and find out, it's not clear if they will accept this person or not; so basically, it's riskier than using someone still working, but not a huge risk, because they might not even check and if they do, they might still accept it and if they don't accept them, they normally ask you for another Referee; so I'd say the risk of refusal is low.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 am

neoseal wrote:I doubt, as retired, the professional registration may have lapsed, however that doesn't mean that she will not be called a nurse. Bit of grey area.

It's a grey area; for instance, when you apply for a passport, they have the same list of professionals and they specify that the person can be retired (and must have known you for 2 years); in case of BC application, they must have known you for 3 years and it doesn't say if they can be retired or not; my guess is that if you use a retired person, they are probably not going to check, but if they do check and find out, it's not clear if they will accept this person or not; so basically, it's riskier than using someone still working, but not a huge risk, because they might not even check and if they do, they might still accept it and if they don't accept them, they normally ask you for another Referee; so I'd say the risk of refusal is low.

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 am

Derivaz wrote: It's a grey area; for instance, when you apply for a passport, they have the same list of professionals and they specify that the person can be retired (and must have known you for 2 years); in case of BC application, they must have known you for 3 years and it doesn't say if they can be retired or not; my guess is that if you use a retired person, they are probably not going to check, but if they do check and find out, it's not clear if they will accept this person or not; so basically, it's riskier than using someone still working, but not a huge risk, because they might not even check and if they do, they might still accept it and if they don't accept them, they normally ask you for another Referee; so I'd say the risk of refusal is low.
Ah good. At least I can use the retired nurse as a referee for my passport!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:54 am

6.3.7.13 Referees are asked:
* how long they have known the applicant
* how, when and for what reason they met or meet the applicant

The risk is low, however, would you dare? :wink:

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 am

I don't know anyone else who fits the list of approved professions so I will have to take the chance :P

felix2005
Newly Registered

professional referee

Post by felix2005 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:33 am

Hi there, just wonder if someone knows the answer.

Can a retired sergeant from the army be considered as a referee with a professional standing?

thank you
Joanna

Derivaz

Re: professional referee

Post by Derivaz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:12 pm

felix2005 wrote:Hi there, just wonder if someone knows the answer.

Can a retired sergeant from the army be considered as a referee with a professional standing?

thank you
Joanna
The guide is not clear about retired people; the passport rules indicate that you can use a retired person, but the BC one doesn't say anything; so it's not clear, what I'd do is: If you can use another referee, use it, if you don't have anyone else, use this one, if they don't accept it, i think they'll ask you for another one.

Regards

D

luk1c

HR officer

Post by luk1c » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi, can I use HR officer in limited company as my professional referee?

MisfitMeL

Re: professional referee

Post by MisfitMeL » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:34 am

felix2005 wrote:Hi there, just wonder if someone knows the answer.

thank you
Joanna
Hi Joanna,

The BC list of acceptable referees annexa show the following:

Officer of the armed services (active or retired)

I am not sure if a sergeant qualifies as an officer? I know very little about the structure of the armed forces :lol:

I would go with Derivaz suggestion and try to avoid retired referees. That's what I did.

MisfitMeL

Re: HR officer

Post by MisfitMeL » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:39 am

luk1c wrote:Hi, can I use HR officer in limited company as my professional referee?
I can't see it listed in the UKBA guide but then again it is meant to be a sort of sample and not an exhaustive list.

Is there anyone else you know?

luk1c

Post by luk1c » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:41 am

But you can see personnel officer! Is the same like HR

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:13 pm

luk1c wrote:But you can see personnel officer! Is the same like HR
I'd say that HRand Personnel officer are the same thing; so if the company they work for is VAT registered or Limited company; I think it's a valid referee; I'd ask them to write down "personnel officer" as profession.

Regarding retired referees; they say "active or retired" for one of the professions, so I guess the rest of the referees have to be active....

Have you tried emailing the HO? they'll probably give you some vague answer that won't clarify it, but you never know, they might give you a straight answer for a change :)

luk1c

Post by luk1c » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Derivaz wrote:
luk1c wrote:But you can see personnel officer! Is the same like HR
I'd say that HRand Personnel officer are the same thing; so if the company they work for is VAT registered or Limited company; I think it's a valid referee; I'd ask them to write down "personnel officer" as profession.

Regarding retired referees; they say "active or retired" for one of the professions, so I guess the rest of the referees have to be active....

Have you tried emailing the HO? they'll probably give you some vague answer that won't clarify it, but you never know, they might give you a straight answer for a change :)
But everyone know HR is the same think as personnel officer!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Once upon a time there use to be "Industrial Welfare" department then it was called "Personnel Department". Then some new management graduates came and said that we don't like "personnel" name and will we call it "Human Resources" so came in new name for that department, though the job and roles and responsibilities remained the same, i.e to convert "Human Resources" to "Human Remains".

luk1c

Post by luk1c » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 pm

neoseal wrote:Once upon a time there use to be "Industrial Welfare" department then it was called "Personnel Department". Then some new management graduates came and said that we don't like "personnel" name and will we call it "Human Resources" so came in new name for that department, though the job and roles and responsibilities remained the same, i.e to convert "Human Resources" to "Human Remains".
So its fine HR referee?

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 am

luk1c wrote:
neoseal wrote:Once upon a time there use to be "Industrial Welfare" department then it was called "Personnel Department". Then some new management graduates came and said that we don't like "personnel" name and will we call it "Human Resources" so came in new name for that department, though the job and roles and responsibilities remained the same, i.e to convert "Human Resources" to "Human Remains".
So its fine HR referee?
I think it is, everyone thinks that HR and Personnel are the same thing, so I'd use that ref; although, one has to bear in mind that you are never 100% sure with the HO, they create vague laws intentionally to give themselves room for interpretation and make it difficult for anyone to complain against them.....

luk1c

Post by luk1c » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am

luk1c wrote:Thanks
No problem; let us know how you get on.

luk1c

Post by luk1c » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:03 pm

One more question. Professional refeere have to be first on page I mean on left site or doesnt mater?

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 am

Doesn't matter, unless you believe that you will get fast decision if they sign on right or on left, or just toss a coin :)

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 am

neoseal wrote:Doesn't matter, unless you believe that you will get fast decision if they sign on right or on left, or just toss a coin :)
I think tossing a coin will give you a more accurate prediction of how fast your application will be lol