ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Language requirements from Oct 28 2013

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thatsy

Language requirements from Oct 28 2013

Post by thatsy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I have already passed the Life in the UK Test for my settlement and only just found out that for Naturalisation (and also ILR), there's going to be an additional requirement of speaking and listening.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... uirements1

Could someone give more information about this? Is it the Cambridge one or the Trinity one that we're supposed to take?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Under what basis did you apply for ILR and do you have a degree taught in English?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

thatsy

Post by thatsy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I was on HSMP for 2 years and Tier 1 for 3 years. Got my ILR earlier this year. Yes, I do have a masters degree from the US taught in English.

None of the above seem relevant anymore according to the new requirements that take effect towards the end of next month. I'm trying to understand which listening and speaking exams are my best options. Any thoughts?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 pm

If for your PBS application you met a B1 English requirement that'll suffice. If not, a degree from the US will suffice. In either case, you'll not need to take any additional test.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

thatsy

Post by thatsy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:31 pm

I did not have B1 English as a requirement for HSMP/Tier 1. All I needed to do was submit my original Masters degree and a letter from my Uni stating that all the courses were in English.

As I've said before, the above are irrelevant as per new rules. Both the following requirements need to be met for Naturalisation.
1) Life in the UK requirement and
2) a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 am

And as I said before, if you've got a degree from the US you'll meet the new requirement. Moreover, as you gained points for your degree as a PBS applicant, you'll already meet the requirement anyway.

thatsy

Post by thatsy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:49 am

No offense but all I do is quote Martin Luther King, Jr - "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." @D4109125, there's no real value in your responses anymore, please don't attempt.

Everybody else in the forum, please follow the link I've given in the 1st post of this thread. These rules are effective from Oct 28 2013.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:22 am

thatsy wrote:No offense but all I do is quote Martin Luther King, Jr - "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." @D4109125, there's no real value in your responses anymore, please don't attempt.

Everybody else in the forum, please follow the link I've given in the 1st post of this thread. These rules are effective from Oct 28 2013.
I think you need to learn some manners.

thatsy

Post by thatsy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 am

Based on the content of your replies, it doesn't really matter what you "think". Being polite and giving incorrect information is far worse than being firm and giving the right info. I clearly wasn't rude.

Check this too: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

I don't want to continue with this argument with you, my post is as much to seek advise as it is to provide info to others who are unaware of the changing rules. Please don't divert it with personal tirade.

Either show proof of what you're saying or don't add anything at all.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:39 am

If you care to read your link correctly by clicking on the further links you'll find I'm correct. Most notably this (click).

You're a very rude character I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 am

thatsy wrote: Either show proof of what you're saying or don't add anything at all.
What "D4109125"said is correct, if you want real proof, have a look at this http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

on Page 60.

Besides, I don't see any point in disrespecting advice given to you for free. You are the one who is applying, so you should be the one looking out for proof of what others are advising is true/false.

If you are not satisfied with advice given to you by one or many members on this forum, you have freedom to seek advice from professional lawyers & from http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ website. Please don't disrespect people who are giving their time/knowledge to give you best what they can for free.