ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

partnership certificate for the residence card of my partner

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cowper
Newly Registered

partnership certificate for the residence card of my partner

Post by cowper » Thu May 31, 2007 5:59 pm

Hello
We sent the application on the 9th of May and we received today the 31st our passports back. We thought that we would be fine because we lived in another EU country together before coming in Ireland but now we are requested to send a partnership certificate within 10 days. However we were living in an European country that does not do partnership certificate and refused to get us married (long story). Does anyone know how we could get a partnership certificate in Ireland? We have an appointment in August for the civil wedding and we prooved that we were living together in EU country but seems that it is not enough: Did anyone face the same problem? Is there any way to get a quick partnership certificate in ireland?
thank you in advance for your help

cartaverde

Post by cartaverde » Thu May 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi,

Can you check for the state registry of people / magister or whichever it is called where you lived, if they can make a paper that states that you both were living in the address x on the time requested? If you call them and explain what it should say on the document, they may be able to write it.

Another way which I doubt would work but I'd try if above does not work : add a paper signed by you that says that the state x does not do such document and you asked x office from state (talked day x, with person x, hour x, and they told you so), so as closest you can go add a letter from the parents of one of you that says that you livd together and s/he is proving it, and bank statements if joined account, copy of old insurance policy etc if you are both covered in it etc.
"Waiting for namecheck" since 2007.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Thu May 31, 2007 10:35 pm

I'm not sure about this, but I think Ireland doesn't recognize civil partnerships. I think Ireland's one of the few countries where it's marriage or nothing. So I don't know how you'd get a partnership certificate here.

Flor_mz

Post by Flor_mz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:28 am

Yes, Platinum, I had the same information as you... It's very confusing:

1) On the EU1 application partnership seems to be considered, BUT

2) Directive 2004/38/EC states clearly that partnership will be considered as a relationship that allows the exercise of Treaty Rights ONLY in the countries where partnership exists. That is NOT the case of Ireland. Besides, it states that it should be registered: "...the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the legislation of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State treats registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage..." If the State wants to apply a more benign interpretation, it can, that is the case of UK, where you can submit proof of partnership without a certificate.

3) The text of the Directive transposed to the Irish law states: "Partners of EU citizens - The Regulations allow for the facilitation of the admission
of the partner of an EU citizen where they are in a durable relationship which is duly attested. The permission granted to such partners for the purposes of admission and residence in the State does not involve the recognition of such partnerships for other purposes. It will be noted from the Application Form that documentary evidence is required to establish that the partnership has existed for a reasonable duration. The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) would expect that clear evidence be provided that the partnership has existed for at least 2 years prior to the application in order to issue the relevant card."

So my guess is: if you cannot get any certificate of your partnership, you must prove it otherwise. As Cartaverde said, joint bank statements, joint lease contracts, bills, etc. Letters from family and pictures can also help (at least, I know that people submit these in the UK), but try to support your case with "formal" documents.

I'm afraid that since Ireland doesn't consider partnership on the same level as marriage, this could be difficult. Try also submitting a document where it shows you have applied with the Registrar to get married. Again, this is my guess, but I think they only included that partnership thing for couples of the same sex. For Ireland, if you are man and woman, you might as well get married instead of being partners. They don't seem very "open minded".

Let us know how this evolves.

One more thing: Did you asked for your documents back or did you just received them? They received my application on the 11th, and haven't got my documents back yet...

Best of luck,
Florencia

cowper
Newly Registered

Post by cowper » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:04 am

thanks for this useful information!
To get the visa as a partner we had to proove the relationship and I sent the same documents for the residence card (letter from family, joint rent contract...); we thought that it would be enough... We had to proove 3 years of relationship and we got the visa as EU partner and now they ask for a certificate that we cant get because neither the other EU country we were living nor ireland do partnership certificate!!!

Cartaverde: What is the state registry of people? How can I get to them? I thought indeed to make a letter, maybe as well to go to a sollicitor to state that we are together... it is so confusing now!!

For_mz: We sent a fax on the 30th in the evening but I guess that this did not count because we received the passports and the acknowledgement of our application on the 31st in the morning. I stressed in the letter that we lived in another EU country before so maybe they prioritized the application, I dont know...

Thanks again for the replies and hopefully there is a way to officially get this certificate...

Flor_mz

Post by Flor_mz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks Cowper!

By any chance do you remember the fax number you sent it to? That would be helpful!

Good luck with the certificate!
Florencia