ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sum-img

Post by sum-img » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 am

I am filling a AN form to naturalise as spouse of a BC, if someone please give advice on few points. These may be very basic silly questions but I am confused.

When completing formAN what do exactly they mean by "Other Names"?

For example if a person first name is "Nina" and surname is "Sharma". Obviously I have to fill "Sharma" in "Surname" but confused where I need to fill my first name. Is it in "other names"?

I have not changed my surname yet? When is the right time to change it like before naturalisation or after I get my british passport?

Also can somebody confirm the list of documents which need to be sent with the application form.

1. AN - Application form
2. Passport (with any previous cancelled)
3. Life in the UK Test Certificate
4. Husband British Passport
5. Marriage Certificate

dayana173
Newly Registered

Post by dayana173 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 am

I am EA citizen and this year January I received permanent residence. For naturalisation I know that I have to send my pr card, life in the uk test, english language certificate. I know that I have to prove that I have been physically in the country for the past 6 years. I have no problem with the last 5 years but this year June I finish college. I am currently working for a charity every other Saturday and Sunday. I wonder if my manager gives me a letter that I work there, if it's going to be accepted as proof from the border agency.

felix2005
Newly Registered

Re: Filling AN form

Post by felix2005 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Moniek wrote:Hi. I'm just filling AN form and have some questions:
Question 1.3 What is that about?:)
In question 1.8 "if you are or have ever been known by any name or names apart from those mentioned above, please give details here" is that a place for my maiden name? Becouse that is the name I used an the beginning of my stay in UK.
Question 3.5 " addressof tax office or tax office reference" what is that and where can I get it from?
Thanks
you will find tax office reference on your P60

or you can ask your employer

thanks

Jaeger
Mood:

Post by Jaeger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:25 am

Jambo wrote:
siddiqr wrote:Dear forum members

I have some confusion filling in my citizenship application form, section 2.4 and 2.5 to be precise.

I married my norwegian wife on 27th july 2007 in Oslo and we started living in the UK straight after. My wife actively looked for work, started as self employed immediately and then found full time job in Sep 2007. I held EEA2 for 5 years and then applied for EEA4 in Sep 12. My PR rights were confirmed through a sticker on 4 Feb 13.

Am i eligible to apply for BC now? We will be married, living in the UK and continuously working for 6 years on 15th Aug 2013.

Sections 2.4 and 2.5 asks for the confirmation that treaty rights were being excercised. Do i give my details there or my wife's. I think it is my wife's as without her excercising treaty rights, i wont have obtained PR. Hope someone can help

Regards
It's your wife's details (and supporting documents) that are needed. Basically you can treat 2.4/2.5 as a mini EEA4 form so you will need to prove (again) what you proved in your EEA4 application.
Intriguing... in a good way :wink: Is it possible to do the same instead of submitting EEA3 form? Using family member's details in 2.4-2.6? Perhaps a covering letter could be useful for explaining this situation.

Or is it still advisable to to apply for the PR first?

golfergti
Newly Registered

Post by golfergti » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Dear Forum members,
I was wondering if anybody can provide some advice regarding AN1 from.
I have lived most of my details registered at my dads house as this is where I have lived most of my life, but during the past 3 year I have moved away out of town for 2 months and then into my brothers house.
But my bank accounts passports and driving license have never been changed from my dads house.
I was wondering if I will have to declare all my previous addresses?
Last edited by golfergti on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LIANA
Newly Registered

FORM & IDENTITY DOC

Post by LIANA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi i got ILR on 10 year legal residency basis i am plannig to apply naturalization which form ineed to use form AN or Form AN1 Or Form AN6(1). really confused and canot find any form apart from AN to download from UKBA website .

more over i used my driving licence as identity while taking LIUK test do i must need to send my driving liscence again with naturalization application or i can send my Passport intstead of licence as i dont want to send my licence it is needed almost every where as id .

explain please
thanks

zubbshah
Mood:
India

Documentation List

Post by zubbshah » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 am

Hello Guys,

Just a quick one.

I would be applying for my citizenship some time in Nov on the basis of
hsmp (2) + tier 1 (3) + ilr (1)

have checked the check list for documentation needed but need some more clarity.

apart from the following documentation to be submitted :-
passport (old and new)
brp ilr card
photo graphs - 2

do i need to submit any of p60's , payslips or letter from employer or bank statements ?

also evidence of exercising treaty rights, that document list is that only for EEA nationals ?

or any non EEA national.

please advise,
thanks a lot guys,
zubb

bazzy_1

Post by bazzy_1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Forum Members,

I have query i hope someone can give me some advice on.

We are about to apply for naturalisation for my wife.
I am a British citizen, my wife travelled to the UK on a passport under her maiden name.
She also received ILR using the same passport under her maiden name.
However we would like to apply for naturalisation under her married name.

My question is can we have her name changed using deed poll and still supply her passport with her maiden name on for the application, as this has her travel history and ILR stamp?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

bazzy_1
Regards,

Baz

Mnc

Acceptable Proof of Residence for Citizenship Application NA

Post by Mnc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I have made an appointment with NCS for 14 Nov 2013.

I just wanted to know if passports alone are sufficient proof of residence.

The NCS appointment form had mentioned that alternative proof of residence will be required if passports are missing.

Does that mean I will not need to provide any other proof of residence?

During the last 5 years, I had been self-employed and started two companies for which I have certification of incorporation etc. Some advise will be helpful.

Thanks

P.s. I had retained my rights of residence after divorcing my EEA spouse, was granted residence card last year via EEA4.

Mnc

Acceptable Proof of Residence for Citizenship Application NA

Post by Mnc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I have made an appointment with NCS for 14 Nov 2013.

I just wanted to know if passports alone are sufficient proof of residence.

The NCS appointment form had mentioned that alternative proof of residence will be required if passports are missing.

Does that mean I will not need to provide any other proof of residence?

During the last 5 years, I had been self-employed and started two companies for which I have certification of incorporation etc. Some advise will be helpful.

Thanks

P.s. I had retained my rights of residence after divorcing my EEA spouse, was granted residence card last year via EEA4.

tronca33

Post by tronca33 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi MNC.
So remember to past qualification on Language and life in uk test.
I have today call from NCS for have app.on 24th October.But I leave app.and I will send myself.
Look at this:
For an application for citizenship to be considered under the pre 28 October requirements, the application will need to be received by UK Visas & Immigration by Friday 25 October 2013 (the last working day before the change). We do not receive a postal delivery on Saturday or Sunday.
So I will loss my money.Because Lady from NCS say that she cant give me warranty that they receive my application before 25th.

So please someone know how long I will be waiting for my passport and ID back???My dad have a cancer,so maybe I will need to travel.So what I need to do???

zcsordas
Newly Registered

Post by zcsordas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi,

Nationality: hungarian (A8 countries)

Applying for naturalisation, but I have a problem with the form. I can't decide what they mean in the 1.3 section. I had an address with my name from 10/2007, but I only started to work from 02/2008 (got my WRS, and my WRS starting date for my first job is for february).

The bit confuses me in the booklet is:
"Only when an A8 national has completed the necessary 12 months employment under the WRS will they be considered to be in the UK and exercising their treaty rights. However, time spent as a registered worker on the Workers Registration Scheme will count towards the five year qualifying period for permanent residence."

My question is, that how long do I actually need to wait before applying? 5 years or 6 years? Does the 12 months really count towards the 5 years or is it 5 years plus the 12months? I get confused. I read the booklet, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.[/i]

tronca33

Post by tronca33 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:11 pm

5 years+12 months after permanent residence.

zcsordas
Newly Registered

Post by zcsordas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

tronca33 wrote:5 years+12 months after permanent residence.
I have been living at address for 6 years now so does that qualify? Or is it counting from the WRS?

Mnc

Post by Mnc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:27 am

tronca33 wrote:Hi MNC.
I have today call from NCS for have app.on 24th October.But I leave app.and I will send myself.
Look at this:
For an application for citizenship to be considered under the pre 28 October requirements, the application will need to be received by UK Visas & Immigration by Friday 25 October 2013 (the last working day before the change). We do not receive a postal delivery on Saturday or Sunday.
So I will loss my money.Because Lady from NCS say that she cant give me warranty that they receive my application before 25th.

So please someone know how long I will be waiting for my passport and ID back???My dad have a cancer,so maybe I will need to travel.So what I need to do???
Thanks, but my question was regarding the acceptable proof for the 5 years residence, I don't think life in the uk test or language test is acceptable proof for the 5 years residence.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 pm

If you have a valid passport the stamps in the passport will prove your stay. You don't need anything else. You need all valid and expired passport to be sent. If your latest passport is expired, then you will need extra documents like P-60, bank statements, council tax bill etc to prove your stay.

tronca33

Post by tronca33 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Mnc wrote:
Look at this:
Thanks, but my question was regarding the acceptable proof for the 5 years residence, I don't think life in the uk test or language test is acceptable proof for the 5 years residence.
I just told you that if you do not have ESOL so be ready that in November you need have to past Language test...

tronca33

Post by tronca33 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:43 pm

neoseal wrote:If you have a valid passport the stamps in the passport will prove your stay. You don't need anything else. You need all valid and expired passport to be sent. If your latest passport is expired, then you will need extra documents like P-60, bank statements, council tax bill etc to prove your stay.
Thank you...
Im Polish and I do not have any stamps in my passport.So I will send my ID because my Test Life in Uk I past with ID.
So now understand just I need send one proof of my nationality so can be ID...
Thank you...

Mnc

Post by Mnc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:24 pm

tronca33 wrote:
Mnc wrote:
Look at this:
I just told you that if you do not have ESOL so be ready that in November you need have to past Language test...
Hi,

Thank you for highlighting that, since my degrees are from U.K Universities I wouldn't be required to appear in the language test. But thank you for sharing the information.

Best Wishes

giruzz

Post by giruzz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello,

My girlfriend is applying for citizenship on the basis as non-EEA family member.

This is her situation:
  • 25/09/2008 - Arrived in the UK
    09/06/2009 - Date stated on 'Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National'
    08/05/2013 - Date stated on Permanent Residency label in passport
She is applying after 6 years of continuous stay in as Family member of an EEA National.

On the form, there are a couple of points that are not clear:

1.31 - Details of your partner
-> We are not married. The form defines partner as 'wife, husband or civil partner' - shall she leave it blank or shall we put my name? (considering that she is applying after 6 years as EEA Family member)

2.4 - 2.6 -> EEA Nationals exercising EC Treaty rights
-> GF has been in UK for over 6 years because I was exercising treaty rights. However, the label was only given 6 months ago albeit Permanent Residency was acquired on 25/09/2013, 5 years after arrival.

Is she required to complete this section? Is it her details or mine (because I am the one exercising treaty rights)

Thanks,

Giruzz

Mnc

Post by Mnc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:05 pm

If you go by 6 years from arrival, you can simply disregard the 'residence permit' you obtained. Your partner will be required to show that you have been exercising your treaty rights and she has been your partner; basically the same evidence that you provided for the 5 year residence card.

Nevertheless, if you can wait till the completion of 12 month since the residence card was allocated, it will be very simple.

She will only need to provide her residence card, pass the life in the uk test and language requirements, along with proof of residence for past 5 years.

I am waiting for the 12 months period otherwise my 6 years completed in January, but I prefer a simple application.

I wish you all the best with your application.

giruzz wrote:Hello,

My girlfriend is applying for citizenship on the basis as non-EEA family member.

This is her situation:
  • 25/09/2008 - Arrived in the UK
    09/06/2009 - Date stated on 'Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National'
    08/05/2013 - Date stated on Permanent Residency label in passport
She is applying after 6 years of continuous stay in as Family member of an EEA National.

On the form, there are a couple of points that are not clear:

1.31 - Details of your partner
-> We are not married. The form defines partner as 'wife, husband or civil partner' - shall she leave it blank or shall we put my name? (considering that she is applying after 6 years as EEA Family member)

2.4 - 2.6 -> EEA Nationals exercising EC Treaty rights
-> GF has been in UK for over 6 years because I was exercising treaty rights. However, the label was only given 6 months ago albeit Permanent Residency was acquired on 25/09/2013, 5 years after arrival.

Is she required to complete this section? Is it her details or mine (because I am the one exercising treaty rights)

Thanks,

Giruzz

batall
Newly Registered

AN dec 2012 or Sept 2013?

Post by batall » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:37 am

Pls I'm bit confused. I was ready to post my applctn on monday oct the 15 but I jst realised I filled AN form dec 2012 and there is a new form posted Sept 2013. Can I use the old form? One of my referee has travelled and I don't want to be involved with another English test. Anyone can help. which date de new application posted? sometime they allow 3 weeks for old form.

jnp
Newly Registered

Form AN

Post by jnp » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:25 pm

I and my husband want to apply for a British citizenship. We are both EEA Nationals. In section 2.4 Form AN, I need to state on what basis I was in the UK for the last 6 years. Can you please advise, what I should put down if I had 8 months gap in employment in last 6 years period. Just to add that I was employed in the UK since 2004. Thank you.

Mnc

Re: Form AN

Post by Mnc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:51 pm

jnp wrote:I and my husband want to apply for a British citizenship. We are both EEA Nationals. In section 2.4 Form AN, I need to state on what basis I was in the UK for the last 6 years. Can you please advise, what I should put down if I had 8 months gap in employment in last 6 years period. Just to add that I was employed in the UK since 2004. Thank you.
You could have been exercising treaty rights as a 'self sufficient person' so long as you can prove that you had sufficient money during that period and that you had the EU health insurance for that period. I am assuming you were still in the UK during those 8 months.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Form AN

Post by Jambo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:38 am

Mnc wrote:
jnp wrote:I and my husband want to apply for a British citizenship. We are both EEA Nationals. In section 2.4 Form AN, I need to state on what basis I was in the UK for the last 6 years. Can you please advise, what I should put down if I had 8 months gap in employment in last 6 years period. Just to add that I was employed in the UK since 2004. Thank you.
You could have been exercising treaty rights as a 'self sufficient person' so long as you can prove that you had sufficient money during that period and that you had the EU health insurance for that period. I am assuming you were still in the UK during those 8 months.
Or if your partner has been exercising treaty rights as well, just base your status on him.
If you are from A8 country, did you register with WRS as it was required at the time?