ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help please! Student VISA, Quit course. Where do we stand?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RR
Newly Registered

Help please! Student VISA, Quit course. Where do we stand?

Post by RR » Fri May 18, 2007 1:17 am

Hi there,

There's this girl who came here from the USA on a student VISA last September. On January 1st of this year she quit college and continued working the allowed 20 hours in her waitressing job.

Did the student visa become invalidated when she quit college? I've been advised by a friend that she can remain for the two years stated on her passport, but I have no idea as to the certainty of that.

She hasn't been contacted by the Home Office at her last known address at all and it's been a good while since the beginning of January.

Just checking up really to mkae sure she's not in trouble.

bristol
Newly Registered

visa not valid

Post by bristol » Fri May 18, 2007 5:43 am

hi there..

I was in UK under student visa before and i also quit my course. I spoke to the immigration. I was working part time as well. They said i cant work if i quit my course. Therefore my student visa is not valid anymore. So sorry to say you got to be studying if you want to keep working part time. Or else you will be in trouble if they find out. Try recomfirming with the immigration again. Good luck.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 18, 2007 7:05 am

Not only that - if you quit ur course you should return home too as ur visa is no longer valid.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Help please! Student VISA, Quit course. Where do we sta

Post by sakura » Fri May 18, 2007 10:10 am

RR wrote:Hi there,

There's this girl who came here from the USA on a student VISA last September. On January 1st of this year she quit college and continued working the allowed 20 hours in her waitressing job.

Did the student visa become invalidated when she quit college? I've been advised by a friend that she can remain for the two years stated on her passport, but I have no idea as to the certainty of that.

She hasn't been contacted by the Home Office at her last known address at all and it's been a good while since the beginning of January.

Just checking up really to mkae sure she's not in trouble.
Well, a student visa is for studying first and working PT second. The advice you got is therefore totally wrong. If she drops out then her visa is no longer valid. Bear in mind that her college/university has a legal (?) obligation to inform the BIA that she is not longer attending classes. She can get herself in trouble...she probably already is in trouble, since it's been over 5 months of non-attendance. I'd advice her to seriously re-think her dropping out (isn't that a waste of money anyway, and she's only waitressing?), try to re-enter school and if not, then simply return home. If they find out she isn't studying, then they'd assume she's a scammer and..well I don't know exactly what'll happen, but she does need to leave the country if she no longer wants to study.

RR
Newly Registered

Post by RR » Wed May 30, 2007 11:18 pm

Hmm, scary news.

If it's invalidated does that mean she's classed as an 'illegal immigrant'? What if she stops working until she returns?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 30, 2007 11:31 pm

RR wrote:Hmm, scary news.

If it's invalidated does that mean she's classed as an 'illegal immigrant'? What if she stops working until she returns?
She's an overstayer and and illegal worker. If she gets caught she'll find it hard to gain future entry to UK and will need to formally apply for a UK visitor visa ie no visa waiver. So no easy return.

RR
Newly Registered

Post by RR » Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 am

As an overstayer, what are the implications if she gets 'found out'? We're going to need about a month to get plane ticket money most likely.

RR
Newly Registered

Post by RR » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:05 am

Any ideas?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:18 am

Stop forcing us to speculate, just get your act together and leave the country as soon as possible.

Jon_H

Post by Jon_H » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:58 pm

As indicated in many posts on here (do some searching and reading) there is no good outcome from overstaying. All you can do is get out of the country asap.

Others have advised that in order to avoid exit controls and hence the overstay stamp in her passport, your friend might want to fly out of an airport other than Heathrow / Gatwick if she can.

zalimet
inactive

Post by zalimet » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:09 am

Well from the time your friend quit college the university is suppose to inform BIA, too many people come in on student visas and disappear and this is trouble its a matter of Peter paying for Paul If they find her so I suggest if she really wants to stay in the UK seek legal advice.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:28 am

SYH wrote:Stop forcing us to speculate, just get your act together and leave the country as soon as possible.
It is not clear that leaving the country is what she should be doing. Don't think you are in a position to order anyone to leave the country. RR is right to try and solicit our opinions.

I know of a girl who was deregistered from the University for five months because her fees were late in arriving from her home country. She was doing a research degree and continued to work on her own until the money arrived and she re-regeistered and went on to complete her phd.

Tell your friend to relax. She just needs to sort herself out and decide what she wants to do. She may need to switch courses and as far as I know that is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. Once she decides what to do then do it. I don't see any point in informing Home Office of anything until she is sure of what it is she intends to do.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:30 am

What is the current state of play RR?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:45 pm

William Blake wrote:
SYH wrote:Stop forcing us to speculate, just get your act together and leave the country as soon as possible.
It is not clear that leaving the country is what she should be doing. Don't think you are in a position to order anyone to leave the country. RR is right to try and solicit our opinions.

I know of a girl who was deregistered from the University for five months because her fees were late in arriving from her home country. She was doing a research degree and continued to work on her own until the money arrived and she re-regeistered and went on to complete her phd.

Tell your friend to relax. She just needs to sort herself out and decide what she wants to do. She may need to switch courses and as far as I know that is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. Once she decides what to do then do it. I don't see any point in informing Home Office of anything until she is sure of what it is she intends to do.
Well, she's broken the rules for a good five months now, I don't think the HO would want her to mull things over before deciding on what to do. They check people's NI cards now, don't they? She needs to "sort herself" out by leaving the country, to be honest. She doesn't sound like she intends to stay on studying, and if her educational institution was a properly established and bona-fide one, they would have told the HO about her long ago. It is not the same as wanting to study but not having the fees available like your friend. She had paid. She didn't attend class. She just continued to work. So she broke the rules of her STUDENT visa by not being a STUDENT.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:57 pm

William Blake wrote:

She pretty much got the information. First she checks is what she is doing wrong. It is. Then she tries to work around it by offering as some kind of consolation by not working. Cmon now. then she started going down another route about implications. She keeps trying to push the issue when it is quite clear, she is in violation. I didn't order her out of the country although the consensus is she shouldn't be here as she is in violation of her visa terms. I did suggest she get her act together so that does entail seeing a solicitor, although most people on the forum are trying to avoid doing just that so I doubt that she will do it.

As for your friend, being deregistered, completely different scenario. It is clear from your facts, that student didn't quit, and it also sounds like she didnt deregister but her school forced her deregistration for lack of tuition payment. I can gleam that she intended to pursue her studies but for the fact of her finances. This girl in this post just stopped going

What do you mean she needs to switch courses. She dropped out, there is nothing to switch from if she is not taking any classes. From what time dimension are you reading this thread????

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:49 pm

From what time dimension are you reading this thread????[/
I like that - funny, nice one.

I don't thinking dropping out means she could not be re admitted or take the same subject at a different university.

RR
Newly Registered

Post by RR » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:07 pm

William Blake wrote:What is the current state of play RR?
Sorry for the late reply.

She flew back in June with no problems.

pnanda007
Newly Registered

Post by pnanda007 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:26 pm

dsrdfd
Last edited by pnanda007 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pnanda007
Newly Registered

Post by pnanda007 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:30 pm

1sdsdfdsfer

trueindian
Newly Registered

Post by trueindian » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:50 pm

[ POST DELETED by Admin. Two or three more identical ones re-posted around the forum.

NOTE TO OFFENDER and all others who read this: Multiple posting is called SPAMming.

And it results in BANning.

I am also VERY displeased with the open advocay of engaging in CLEARLY ILLEGAL activities.

Cease and desist immediately.

NO FURTHER WARNINGS.

the Admin ]

trueindian
Newly Registered

Post by trueindian » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:52 pm

i forgot to tell u dogs that i have got a workpermit--geniune one from a busy restaurant--fastfood and it has been the best period of my life to succeed and goodbye for now