ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EX South African Citizen now British

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kayanne
Newly Registered

EX South African Citizen now British

Post by kayanne » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi there

I have about 2 years ago Naturalised as a British Citizen and did not request to retain my SA citizenship.

I am planning a trip to SA in Mar 2014 entry into SA with my British Passport, do you think I will have hassle with Border Control upon SA entry?

Thank you

orioza
Newly Registered

Re: EX South African Citizen now British

Post by orioza » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm

kayanne wrote:Hi there

I have about 2 years ago Naturalised as a British Citizen and did not request to retain my SA citizenship.

I am planning a trip to SA in Mar 2014 entry into SA with my British Passport, do you think I will have hassle with Border Control upon SA entry?

Thank you
If you did not apply for retention of your SA citizenship you have lost it (and due to this your passport is not valid anymore). This rule was in place since 1995. Ref: http://southafricahouseuk.com/passports ... itret.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afri ... h_Africans

That said. The UK does not inform the SA government that you are now a British citizen and they might not know about this. So therefore if you wanted you could probably get away with still using it. (What kind of offence it is, I dont know). In my opinion I would not use it. Rather just use your British passport and get the 6 months landing visa.

It is illegal to not use your SA passport if you are a South African to enter SA but in this case I think you should just use your UK one. As your SA citizenship was lost.

Why do I say this. I have friends that have naturalized and they have not had any problem entering SA with their UK passports.

I think it could not hurt emailing SA house and asking them. They take time to answer but they eventually answer.

jack902

Post by jack902 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes. If they find out- you will have lost your za citizenship.

If necessary, they will give you permanent residence upon application- but if you want to regain your citizenship and obtain a passport- you will have to love in South Africa for a minimum of 1 year

http://southafricahouseuk.com/passports ... itret.html

jack902

Re: EX South African Citizen now British

Post by jack902 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:38 pm

kayanne wrote:Hi there

Thank you
Nothing to worry about. You will go in and depart as a British citizen. If you get asked- simply say you are now british and understood you have now relinquished your sa citizenship.

kayanne
Newly Registered

Post by kayanne » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Great thanks!!!

I will not be breaking any rules as i do not possess and will not be ebtering on a sa passport therefore entering as british.

No visa needed if not staying for over 90 days i believe