ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

irish citizenship/naturalization questions

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dr_raihan29

irish citizenship/naturalization questions

Post by dr_raihan29 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:19 am

Hi there I am a naturalised british citizen(obtained through hsmp---ilr route.). for the last 8 months. I had been and currently living in northern ireland for the last 7 and half years.(both my kids born in NI)

I was wondering ifsomeone could point mein the right direction towards the process of irish naturalization. I appreciate might need to wait a good few years to qualify!

many thanks
raihan

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 am

Are you married to an Irish national? Has that marriage subsisted for at least 3 years? If so, then you will be entitled to Irish citizenship (even though you are living in NI)

Living in NI doesn't work unless you are married to an Irish citizen.

See these:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... riage.html

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000014

dr_raihan29

Post by dr_raihan29 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm

THANK you for your reply. no i am not married to an irish citizen. is there any other way??

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't think so, apart from working in the Republic of Ireland. I don't know why you would need to become an Irish citizen if you are already British. There's not much difference between the passports and a British person can work in Ireland without any problems any way.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 am

Your kids might be entitled depending on your status when they were born. (Or the status of their other parent).

You ... No special entitlement (which makes sense, you have never had any connection with the Republic of Ireland and you are not of Irish background)

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:03 pm

You can move to Ireland to live and work.

After 5 years you can apply for Irish citzenship.
BL