ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Birth certificate and marriage certificate out of UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shahfor

Birth certificate and marriage certificate out of UK

Post by shahfor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of applying for naturalisation for my wife and I, and registering my kid.

We marraied long time ago (in 2000) in my original country and my son was born in another country.

My question is about the certificates for which I couldn't find in the guides.

Do I need to provide my original or translated marriage certificate or as it happend abroad I should not?
Do I need to provide birth certificate for my kid or his name in his mum's passport would be enough?

Thanks you very much

shahfor

Please reply

Post by shahfor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:22 am

Can one of the moderators give me suggestions please?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 am

Have you read the guides/forms for the evidence required?

They are required and are listed in the guides/forms.

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 am

Jambo wrote:Have you read the guides/forms for the evidence required?

They are required and are listed in the guides/forms.
Yes I have read 3 times but there is no guide for my situation. It seems the assumption is for UK born kid but I am not sure. Can you please help me?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Bottom of page 30 in Guide MN1. Does it say UK birth certificate or just birth certificate?

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Jambo wrote:Bottom of page 30 in Guide MN1. Does it say UK birth certificate or just birth certificate?
I don't know what you meant by your question. Are trying to test my English?

This is exactly what I am talking about. It just says birth certificate and does not say if the kid born outside the UK, the foreign certificate is what they want or passport is enough. In my original country "birth certificate" does not exist and the expectation is that passport show the same info.
Again I don't know if my kid's passport is satisfying or I have to make one certificate somehow.

It is the same for marriage certificate. It does not say what applies to people who married outside of UK.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:31 pm

A passport is not a birth certificate. The form asks for (any) birth certificate. It doesn't matter where it was issued.

Now if your child doesn't have one, that's a different question. In that case, I would just add a note that the country doesn't issue birth certificates and that's why it was not provided.

With regards to the marriage certificate, if it just ask for a marriage certificate and not a UK marriage certificate, surely they mean any certificate including one from abroad. Didn't you use the same logic when you applied for visas?

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Jambo wrote:A passport is not a birth certificate. The form asks for (any) birth certificate. It doesn't matter where it was issued.

Now if your child doesn't have one, that's a different question. In that case, I would just add a note that the country doesn't issue birth certificates and that's why it was not provided.

With regards to the marriage certificate, if it just ask for a marriage certificate and not a UK marriage certificate, surely they mean any certificate including one from abroad. Didn't you use the same logic when you applied for visas?
For visa application marriage certificate is not required and not even for the ILR application. I have applied for visa for more than 20 countries and I was never asked for it. As in Europe and US people live together easily I don't understand the importance of marriage certificate (which does not matter).
The thing is the "logic" for applicant and authorities are not the same most of the time. Don't you think so?
As passports show all the required info and in a certified English, in my logic, UKBA could see all the required info and that's why I thought the birth/marriage certificate might apply just for the UK events.

Thanks anyway

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:03 pm

I would think marriage certificate is required for visa application but that depends on the type of visa of course.

Marriage certificate is only required for naturalisation application in order to benefit from the (cheaper) joint application fee (as it only applies to married couples applying together).

With regards to the birth certificate, then most passports don't hold the parents details in them but birth certificates do so birth certificates are used to link between the child to his parents.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 am

shahfor wrote:Hi,
My history is work permit (3 Yrs), Tier2 (2 Yrs) and then ILR. I will apply for naturalization in Dec 2013. I have got a few questions regarding AN form and would appreciate if anybody could me with some guidance.

1. I passed my Life in UK test in 2012 which I used for my ILR. As based on the new rules with requiring also the spoken test, what shall I indicate in the form? Shall I pick the one says I met the requirement before OR say I passed the test and write the test Number?
In the new form there isn't any place about results of spoken test and does not ask how we meet this task. Shall I just leave the certificate in the pack?

2. I did my IELTS (score 6) in year 2000 which was accepted for my Tier2 application in 2010. I guess it should be still OK, right?

3. for evidence of lawful staying, my passport has the sticker for 3 years. But since 2011 the permits was on the Biometric cards all which have been taken by UKBA, I have no proof of that. As I am unemployed now, how can I show my lawful staying? Would the passport be enough as it shows the immigrations entrance stamps in Heathrow when I came back from my trips?

4. Do I have to hand over my ILR card with the application pack? or the UKBA's letter stating my indefinite leave would be enough?

Thanks,
Shah
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Tuvoc

Post by Tuvoc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:45 am

We provided the foreign language original marriage certificate, and a certified translation. The Home office accepted these for the spouse visa and ILR, and we need to provide again for the citizenship application.

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 am

Tuvoc wrote:We provided the foreign language original marriage certificate, and a certified translation. The Home office accepted these for the spouse visa and ILR, and we need to provide again for the citizenship application.
Thanks. I had it translated. That question was for about 1 year ago!!!!!!!!!

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:25 am

D4109125 wrote:
shahfor wrote:Hi,
My history is work permit (3 Yrs), Tier2 (2 Yrs) and then ILR. I will apply for naturalization in Dec 2013. I have got a few questions regarding AN form and would appreciate if anybody could me with some guidance.

1. I passed my Life in UK test in 2012 which I used for my ILR. As based on the new rules with requiring also the spoken test, what shall I indicate in the form? Shall I pick the one says I met the requirement before OR say I passed the test and write the test Number?
In the new form there isn't any place about results of spoken test and does not ask how we meet this task. Shall I just leave the certificate in the pack?

2. I did my IELTS (score 6) in year 2000 which was accepted for my Tier2 application in 2010. I guess it should be still OK, right?

3. for evidence of lawful staying, my passport has the sticker for 3 years. But since 2011 the permits was on the Biometric cards all which have been taken by UKBA, I have no proof of that. As I am unemployed now, how can I show my lawful staying? Would the passport be enough as it shows the immigrations entrance stamps in Heathrow when I came back from my trips?

4. Do I have to hand over my ILR card with the application pack? or the UKBA's letter stating my indefinite leave would be enough?

Thanks,
Shah

I cannot see any answer or suggestion here. Can anyone help? For the reason I cannot figure out Guru has added my question in Dec last year here which is a different matter.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:47 am

Questions should begrouped together.

The form is changing in October to reflect the new KoLL requirement so the questions (and what to tick) may be different.

If you met a B1 English Language requirement for Entry Clearance i.e. the IELTS, that should suffice for the new requirement. Alternatively, if you have a NARIC comparable degree taught in English that should suffice.

So long as you have passports covering the last 5 years, that will suffice.

Your BRP will be required, using the NCS will allow you to keep your documents.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

shahfor

NCS and travel

Post by shahfor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am

D4109125 wrote:Questions should begrouped together.

The form is changing in October to reflect the new KoLL requirement so the questions (and what to tick) may be different.

If you met a B1 English Language requirement for Entry Clearance i.e. the IELTS, that should suffice for the new requirement. Alternatively, if you have a NARIC comparable degree taught in English that should suffice.

So long as you have passports covering the last 5 years, that will suffice.

Your BRP will be required, using the NCS will allow you to keep your documents.

Hi,
I see in the forum many times that as NCS gives back the passport, we can travel following the application. As I understood we need to hand over the BRP (ILR) card. If this is true, how can somebody back to UK without holding the ILR card? Does NCS gives any thing for this?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:22 am

You get to keep the BRP too.