ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

neoseal
Member of Standing

Citizenship Ceremony

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:43 pm

I had my citizenship ceremony yesterday :D.
All went well, correct name on certificate...so on.

Very punctual...first they checked our id and asked us to sign the attendance list and were asked if we will swear or affirm. Then we were taken to council chambers, where they had allocated seat to each of us according to our surname.
Our mayoress presided and ceremony started. The registrar explained the citizenship process and bit of lecture, following that, mayoress welcomed us and gave insight into what citizenship means and so on.

Then the people who were swearing were asked to stand and swear followed by people who were affirming. Then the pledge.

After that each one of us were called to shake hand with mayoress and get our certificate and citizenship medal from her, a professional photographer captured each individual moment.

Recited first verse of our national anthem.

Called for tea party, nice selection of savoury, cakes, biscuits, mingling with other citizens and the mayoress.

At the end of tea party, our mayoress was clearing away the tea cups and plates, no ego :)

Then we were called in to collect our photographs and passport & voters application information. i.e all done in one and half hours, very well organized.

I went straight to Post office and applied for passport.

For some reason, couldn't sleep well yesterday night...

Good luck to everyone.

Derivaz

Re: Citizenship Ceremony

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 pm

neoseal wrote:I had my citizenship ceremony yesterday :D.

Very punctual...first they checked our id and asked us to sign the attendance list and were asked if we will swear or affirm. Then we were taken to council chambers, where they had allocated seat to each of us according to our surname.
Our mayoress presided and ceremony started. The registrar explained the citizenship process and bit of lecture, following that, mayoress welcomed us and gave insight into what citizenship means and so on.

Then the people who were swearing were asked to stand and swear followed by people who were affirming. Then the pledge.

After that each one of us were called to shake hand with mayoress and get our certificate and citizenship medal from her, a professional photographer captured each individual moment.

Called for tea party, nice selection of savoury, cakes, biscuits, mingling with other citizens and the mayoress.

At the end of tea party, our mayoress was clearing away the tea cups and plates, no ego :)

Then we were called in to collect our photographs and passport & voters application information. i.e all done in one and half hours, very well organized.

Good luck to everyone.
good stuff; did they ask you for an ID? my council told me that the HO letter was enough.
I'll bring my EU national ID just in case.

I hope, there are no mistakes on my certificate; I'll apply for a passport after my xmas holidays, I think...

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Congrats Neoseal. Whats the next step for you, if any, after passport?
Challenges make life worth it!

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Congrats Neoseal. Whats the next step for you, if any, after passport?
After the passport, he can forget about all this process :D

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Derivaz, InUKonHSMP,

Yes they asked for id, take it with you, in fact they didn't ask for HO letter. They didn't had anything except the list to confirm the id of person, hence photographic id is required.

No other next steps for now..bit tired climbing this steep staircase.

I think it will be difficult to forget the process however may not keep upto date with it :)

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:35 pm

neoseal wrote:Thanks Derivaz, InUKonHSMP,

Yes they asked for id, take it with you, in fact they didn't ask for HO letter. They didn't had anything except the list to confirm the id of person, hence photographic id is required.

No other next steps for now..bit tired climbing this steep staircase.

I think it will be difficult to forget the process however may not keep upto date with it :)
A friend of mine went to my council and he was only asked for the HO letter; each council seems to be different....

I still havent got the invitation letter from the council, ill call on friday if i dont get it, just to check that everything is in order....

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Ya each council works in their own way. As a matter of security, what happens if someone else goes with your invitation letter? Unless they have kept your photograph on their system if you applied thru NCS. I personally think they should ask for id.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 pm

neoseal wrote:Ya each council works in their own way. As a matter of security, what happens if someone else goes with your invitation letter? Unless they have kept your photograph on their system if you applied thru NCS. I personally think they should ask for id.
Yeah, I think they should ask for ID too; if an impostor tried to get my certificate by stealing my HO letter; I guess they could get the certificate, but if their name is not on it, it would be useless for them..

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 pm

I doubt your citizenship certificate will be useless to an imposter, they have their ways of putting it to good use, basically cloning you :wink:

All will be good for you...

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Good luck to everyone.

Good one buddy ... Surely you had a nice ceremony, not every council does it in such a systematic manner ... many a places its just a formality to hand over the certificate and no party or mingling around ....

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm

neoseal wrote:I doubt your citizenship certificate will be useless to an imposter, they have their ways of putting it to good use, basically cloning you :wink:

All will be good for you...
I guess a professional could manage to use it somehow....

I just hope my info is correct and I dont have to send it back; they have always spelt my name correctly, so hopefully, they don't talk to up now haha.

I'll let you know if I have any hassle; I don't rule anything out, until it's over lol

VR

hope you sang the first verse correctly

Post by VR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:02 pm

with ave not have! LOL :D
congrads
vr

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks VR

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

neoseal wrote:Thanks VR
I take it that you used the check and send post office service? so you send the certificate and your foreign passport and that's it right?

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes, just the passport and certificate.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Derivaz wrote:
InUkOnHsmp wrote:Congrats Neoseal. Whats the next step for you, if any, after passport?

then he will go on world tour. 173 countries VISA free or VISA on arrival with UK passport
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:16 pm

neoseal wrote:Yes, just the passport and certificate.
cool, i thought so; the main thing now is to get the certificate without any errors.....

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Derivaz wrote:

then he will go on world tour. 173 countries VISA free or VISA on arrival with UK passport
Ha ha no; I'll just go on Hols around xmas, but won't apply for my UK passport till after my xmas hols; my current passport allows me the same kind of travel possibilities, but good to have both :)

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Derivaz wrote:

Ha ha, I really want to go, anyone to accompany me...bagpacking...adventure...British airways and Quantas have good offers...

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 am

neoseal wrote:
askmeplz82 wrote:
Derivaz wrote:

Ha ha, I really want to go, anyone to accompany me...bagpacking...adventure...British airways and Quantas have good offers...
cool, sounds like a fun trip.

Jaeger
Mood:

Post by Jaeger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:19 pm

sunil.suneel wrote:

Good luck to everyone.

Good one buddy ... Surely you had a nice ceremony, not every council does it in such a systematic manner ... many a places its just a formality to hand over the certificate and no party or mingling around ....
It would be col to have a nice ceremony like that. But if it's basically just swearing an oath and receiving a certificate with no other bells and whistles then that's fine. A final step after a long road.

I wonder how Barnsley Council is doing it and how many people actually go for a ceremony. Perhaps I will see many fellow Eastern Europeans :D

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Jaeger wrote:
sunil.suneel wrote:

Good luck to everyone.

It would be col to have a nice ceremony like that. But if it's basically just swearing an oath and receiving a certificate with no other bells and whistles then that's fine. A final step after a long road.

I wonder how Barnsley Council is doing it and how many people actually go for a ceremony. Perhaps I will see many fellow Eastern Europeans :D
I think they give you refreshments and something to eat too; although, each council is different; I just hope my certificate is ok with no errors or lost or something like that; so I can forget about the HO lol

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 pm

You will get refreshments and usually they don't make mistake, just check the details on HO invitation letter, the same details are on certificate.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

neoseal wrote:You will get refreshments and usually they don't make mistake, just check the details on HO invitation letter, the same details are on certificate.
I checked the details on my approval letter and they were correct, BUT you can never rule out anything with the HO lol

I also hope they don't lose my certificate or something and I turn up there for nothing lol

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 am

Derivaz wrote:
neoseal wrote:You will get refreshments and usually they don't make mistake, just check the details on HO invitation letter, the same details are on certificate.
I checked the details on my approval letter and they were correct, BUT you can never rule out anything with the HO lol

I also hope they don't lose my certificate or something and I turn up there for nothing lol
When is your ceremony arranged ??? Do share your experience :)