ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Knowledge Of Language And Life In the UK requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

go-fish
Newly Registered

New Knowledge Of Language And Life In the UK requirements

Post by go-fish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm

I just read on the UKBA website that effective Oct 28, 2013 there will be a few changes in KOLL requirement whereby now English Language speaking and listening will also be added as a requirement. On reading further, I found that the following :

Degrees taught in English

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.

I have a full-time Master's degree from the USA. I intend to put in my naturalisation application (spouse of British citizen) through National Checking Service at the local authority in December. I would like to know whether I need to get the formal document called Statement of Comparability from UK NARIC or a print-out from Point Based Calculator on UKBA website should be sufficient ?I can simply show the academic transcripts at NCS as obviously the teaching medium is English in the USA.

Please advise.

Many Thanks

sikiliza69

Re: New Knowledge Of Language And Life In the UK requirement

Post by sikiliza69 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:19 am

Excerpt from the article

Annex A: list of countries,

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:44 am

Is the OP a US national?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

go-fish
Newly Registered

Post by go-fish » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 pm

I am not a US or a national of majority English speaking country. I have a US Master's degree as I went there to study.

sikiliza69

Post by sikiliza69 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:29 am

If you met a B1 requirement for your PBS application (if applicable) then that will suffice.

If not your degree should suffice if it is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English.

To prove this, you need to submit a NARIC statement of comparability (click)with:

A certificate from the institution stating the medium of instruction for the degree was English

Or

A NARIC English Language Assessment (click)

And the degree certificate of course. You can get an idea if this will suffice by seeing if 10 points are awarded for your degree on the PBS calculator, if not, don't fret, just apply for the NARIC statement(s).

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:25 am

As your degree was taught in the US you do not need to prove it was taught in English, just that it is comparable to a UK degree, thus just a NARIC statement of comparability. Remember, that if you satisfied a B1 entry clearance requirement that should also suffice.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:20 am

go-fish wrote:Form An mentions that one of the referees should be a person of professional standing. I looked at list of acceptable Professional Referees. It mentions Engineer( with professional qualification), director / manager of VAT company and manager of limited company.

I have two friends who are:-

1. Job Title : Consultant, Qualification : B.E. from India. He is working in IT consultancy in the UK. Can he qualify as Engineer although job title doesn't has word "Engineer" in it?

2. Who has engineering degrees and an MBA, can he qualify as director / manager of VAT company and manager of limited company? Not sure what these categories mean but he is working in a managerial role in a big multinational company in the UK.

Many Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:21 am

Is the friend a computer engineer? Or is s(he) a member of the British Computer Society (BCS)?

go-fish
Newly Registered

Post by go-fish » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Has a degree in computer engineering but not a member of BCS. What about the second friend, can he qualify?

go-fish
Newly Registered

Post by go-fish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 am

Any response on my last question about the referee? I have been redirected to this thread by Guru.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am

If s(he) is a manager of a limited company then yes.

jahangir

Post by jahangir » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Guys, if you did Life in the UK test for your ILR last year, and are applying for naturalization after 28th Oct, do you still have to do the additional Knowledge of language test, or will last year's LIUK test suffice?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Last year's LIUK remains valid, however, you will need to meet a B1 requirement unless exempt if applying after 28-Oct-2013.

go-fish
Newly Registered

Post by go-fish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 pm

D4109125 wrote:If s(he) is a manager of a limited company then yes.
Yes, the company is Limited Company. But what do they mean by Manager of a Ltd Company? There are people working in management positions in large companies.

Also, does any one know a UKBA customer care number where I can contact them? The Annex A list is a single page document but there could several professions which are not covered in that document but still valid as Professional Referree.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Indeed, the list is not exhaustive, just use commonsense.

indian2012
India

RE:Bachelors of Pharmacy degree

Post by indian2012 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:00 am

Hi,

I along with my wife are due for citizenship next year.

My wife has a bachelors in pharmacy degree from India.

Regarding the english language requirement , in order to bypass the English ESOL test , kindly advise if UKNARIC will access her bachelors degree comparable to british degree standard.

She already has certificate that degree was taugh in English , but a statement of comparability from UKNARIC is a must as per current rules.

I am unsure since it is a pharmacy degree from India.

Kindly advise.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 am

I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on Naric Assessment, if you have a degree taught in English...

Nowhere on the UKBA sites or gov.uk do they refer to you getting the comparability from NARIC, as it is another money churning independent body. Use it only for your self confidence and including the letter from Naric is not going to change anything for your application. UKBA will do its own verification with may be Naric and other bodies to confirm your degree was taught in English.

The only proofs you will require to include are your Degree Certificate and if possible the Transcript from the university which usually stated the medium of instruction was english. This is commonly issued by most universities for students wishing to go overseas for higher studies.

Not as per the statement of intent in the link below it clearly states:
"The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).

Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.
"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

So if you have a degree taught in English just include your Original Degree Certificate and Your transcript ... don't waste your time and money on NARIC.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:20 am

The rules clearly state the degree must be deemed by NARIC not by the UKBA, unless you have a source to back up your claims I would err on the side of caution.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:26 am

D4109125 wrote:The rules clearly state the degree must be deemed by NARIC not by the UKBA, unless you have a source to back up your claims I would err on the side of caution.

Atleast I couldn't find anywhere on the UKBA site that refers to NARIC, please can you point us to the right link or material that states this.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:30 am

page 62 wrote:v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 am

Agree, but getting a comparability from NARIC is not a must. If you have a degree that shows 10 points on the PBS, that means your course and university is already on UKBA database and your original degree certificate should be enough and if can include the transcript showing the medium of instruction should be more than sufficient.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 am

Unfortunately, that statement has not been clarified by UKBA yet. The points calculator has nothing to do with NARIC, it's a creation of the UKBA, although some information may be sourced by NARIC, the safest route would be a NARIC statement upon waiting for clarification by the UKBA.