ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I'm exempt from any tests?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

royh

I'm exempt from any tests?

Post by royh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I have refugee status so am exempt from taking any tests.

The funny thing is I already spent over £120 on the LIUK test (came "late" to one so had to take it over again). I was even about to pay £125+ for an ESOl course recently until I came across a random link in a thread about the requirements.

I didn't know about these exemptions for refugees, all I read everywhere was "you have to take the test, you have to take the test" until I read the small print in the pdf ( http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk ) - this refugee info is not in Guide AN or Booklet AN!

---

Anyway my question is: Form AN, page 5, Section 1.22 asks

"
1 - I met the knowledge and language and life requirement to qualify for settlement [box tick option]

2 - I have successfully completed ESOl course [box tick option]

3 - I have passed LIUK Test [box tick option]

4 - I wish to claim exemption [box tick option]
"

- Since I have passed the LIUK test but not the ESOL course do I not tick 1? Since after 28th Oct 2k13 it will require both the ESOL (which I haven't taken) and LIUK test? Note - I will probably hand in the form for naturalisation after 28th Oct.

- Do I check 3 - LIUK test passed? (I have passed it and have letter)

- Do I also check 4 - I wish to claim exemption?

- Would it look suspicious that I didn't know about the refugee exemption (lack of fact finding) and have taken one of the test requirements?

---

How would I explain it on page 15 "further information not covered in other sections". Can anyone suggest better wording:
Regarding page 5, Section 1.22

I have refugee status.

However, I have taken the Life in UK test prior to understanding that refugees are exempt from taking the test(s) required. I have ticked the box that I have taken the LIUK test and provided the test instance number nonetheless. Thank you.
---

If I have refugee status I don't have to provide ESOl/LIUK evidence further down the line? If so can I just show the HO letter saying I have refugee status to explain I am exempt (assuming the persons know about the exemption)? They ask for test letters when you go to pick up your passport?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:06 pm

I was going to direct you to your other thread but it contains a video which is bad on the eyes.

The form will change for after 28-Oct-2013. Do you have a degree taught in English?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

royh

Post by royh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 pm

D4109125 wrote:I was going to direct you to your other thread but it contains a video which is bad on the eyes.

The form will change for after 28-Oct-2013. Do you have a degree taught in English?
Unfortunately no degree. Will the changes then no longer exclude refugees from having to take the tests? The form AN I have says "September 2013" on the front page.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 pm

UKBA wrote:Transitional arrangements for naturalisation applications
Becoming a British citizen is a privilege and the requirements for naturalisation reflect this. There is
no time limit on making a citizenship application and so those who wish to apply after 28 October
2013 can take as much time as they need to meet the KOLL requirement. There are therefore no
transitional arrangements in place for those wishing to naturalise as a British citizen.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

royh

Post by royh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Thx for the reply, much appreciated.

If I read correctly the refugee status falls under the header "Additional exemption routes for settlement purposes". Having a disability or over 65 also falls under this header.

Then it lists some things under "Transitional arrangements for settlement applications" header such as PBS migrants, dependents of HM forces personnel etc.

The final header under "Transitional arrangements for naturalisation applications" says after 28th Oct there are no "transitional arrangements" in place for those wishing to naturalise as a British Citizen. It says nothing about "additional exemption routes" which refugee falls under.

Am I reading this correctly, if refugee status is no longer exempt shouldn't it be listed under the "transitonal arrangements" header instead of the header which also lists disability for example. In reference to the link in the 1st post regarding changes.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:49 pm

It's not so complicated. You might had exemption when applying for settlement (ILR) but this exemption doesn't include naturalisation. If you wish to become British, you will need to pass the tests.

royh

Post by royh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 pm

ok thx I see what you mean now between settlement purposes (ILR) and the last section mentioning naturalisation applications.