ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 grilled/insulted at heathrow immigration.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hsyasin

Tier1 grilled/insulted at heathrow immigration.

Post by hsyasin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 am

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone else on Tier1 has had this worst experience at heathrow immigration. I mean I've been in the uk since 2007 and have been in and out of country on student then psw and then T1 visa and never been insulted in this manner by any immigration officer. And right now I'm on T1 extension.
So what happened was, I just came back from Pakistan (went to get married last month 8) ) and all was pretty good and normal until my turn came and i approached this immigration officer who was not wearing his name badge and by the looks of his outfit was a sikh, NOTE: believe me, honest to God, before that I had that image in mind that sikhs are the most nicest peoply I've ever met, as I've a few friends from same culture.
So I'm not trying to point out anything about any race or religion, just explaining here what happened, ok so, i approached this guy smiling as usual and said hi and gave him my passport with visa, and he started questioning, like what is ur salary i said 32k and i'm getting a raise this september.
and his reply was how did i get this visa, and i told him that i worked part time for a few months with my old employer to provide software support and that made me cover the shortfall in my salary easily.
and he just wouldn't listen to me afterwards, just started insulting me, oh u got this rest of money through the company that u've in ur backyard and blabla.
well i told him about the company and the website and stuff, but he just wouldn't listen and kept saying, oh ur smiling now, I'll cancel ur visa and send u back to pakistan as i've sent many indian and pakistani's on this visa.
And also, he said that the people who gave u this visa, I'm 4grades above them and also I'm a part time accountant. So dont lie to me and tell me that u got this visa by fraud, and I kept saying no, coz I really did work part time for my previous employer and paid proper tax and stuff.
And his insults/grilling for more than half an hour, i had it and told him that ok, u go and do ur checks and i'm gonna go and sit down, coz I had a leg muscle injury and couldn't stand and to this, his reply was, yea ok, i'll put u in detention overnight and will contact hmrc and companies tomorrow and then will send u back to pakistan. And i was like, what the hell does he want.
But then what i did was kept agreeing to whatever bullcrap he was saying and denied all the false accusations he was trying to make, and then he went in, did some checks and then let me go saying, I've ur address and everything now and shit.

So, anyone else had this sort of situation?

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:51 pm

You lost me when you judged him on his religion and then try and explain that you weren't judging him on that but still try and generalise which means that you judged him on that already.

Either way, there have been many people in the past claiming that they've been grilled by an immigration officer. Not saying that your narrative wasn't a grilling, but being asked how much you earn, where you work, what additional income you earn and if you paid tax on it is not a grilling. If you felt that the IO was busy insulting you, you should have asked for his supervisor there and then. As we weren't there, I don't think anyone can really comment on it, because it's your side of the story (and not saying it's the case here, but people do tend to blow things out of proportion when they think the questions are unfair).
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

mikkiii
Newly Registered

Re: Tier1 grilled/insulted at heathrow immigration.

Post by mikkiii » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 pm

hsyasin wrote:Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone else on Tier1 has had this worst experience at heathrow immigration. I mean I've been in the uk since 2007 and have been in and out of country on student then psw and then T1 visa and never been insulted in this manner by any immigration officer. And right now I'm on T1 extension.
So what happened was, I just came back from Pakistan (went to get married last month 8) ) and all was pretty good and normal until my turn came and i approached this immigration officer who was not wearing his name badge and by the looks of his outfit was a sikh, NOTE: believe me, honest to God, before that I had that image in mind that sikhs are the most nicest peoply I've ever met, as I've a few friends from same culture.
So I'm not trying to point out anything about any race or religion, just explaining here what happened, ok so, i approached this guy smiling as usual and said hi and gave him my passport with visa, and he started questioning, like what is ur salary i said 32k and i'm getting a raise this september.
and his reply was how did i get this visa, and i told him that i worked part time for a few months with my old employer to provide software support and that made me cover the shortfall in my salary easily.
and he just wouldn't listen to me afterwards, just started insulting me, oh u got this rest of money through the company that u've in ur backyard and blabla.
well i told him about the company and the website and stuff, but he just wouldn't listen and kept saying, oh ur smiling now, I'll cancel ur visa and send u back to pakistan as i've sent many indian and pakistani's on this visa.
And also, he said that the people who gave u this visa, I'm 4grades above them and also I'm a part time accountant. So dont lie to me and tell me that u got this visa by fraud, and I kept saying no, coz I really did work part time for my previous employer and paid proper tax and stuff.
And his insults/grilling for more than half an hour, i had it and told him that ok, u go and do ur checks and i'm gonna go and sit down, coz I had a leg muscle injury and couldn't stand and to this, his reply was, yea ok, i'll put u in detention overnight and will contact hmrc and companies tomorrow and then will send u back to pakistan. And i was like, what the hell does he want.
But then what i did was kept agreeing to whatever bullcrap he was saying and denied all the false accusations he was trying to make, and then he went in, did some checks and then let me go saying, I've ur address and everything now and shit.

Dear Hamad,

I had same experience as you had, I was deported in January 2012, I was coming back with my wife from Paris, He told gave two option either leave or I will put in detention, I decided to leave as my wife was pregnant and she couldn't bear that ordeal at that time. So I went back to Pakistan, appealed against their decision, won the appeal, it all took year and half time. I am back in UK now, they gave me only visa for 7 days as my Tier1 was expiring on 5th of September 2013. I am back now, and I sent my passport to UK border to get an extension, on the basis of they have wasted my tier 1 time, I want that back... so lets see how thinks goona work,or they going to give me visa or not. its been10 days now, no response from UK border yet.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:42 pm

mulderpf wrote:You lost me when you judged him on his religion and then try and explain that you weren't judging him on that but still try and generalise which means that you judged him on that already.

Either way, there have been many people in the past claiming that they've been grilled by an immigration officer. Not saying that your narrative wasn't a grilling, but being asked how much you earn, where you work, what additional income you earn and if you paid tax on it is not a grilling. If you felt that the IO was busy insulting you, you should have asked for his supervisor there and then. As we weren't there, I don't think anyone can really comment on it, because it's your side of the story (and not saying it's the case here, but people do tend to blow things out of proportion when they think the questions are unfair).

Correct.

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 am

rizwan567 wrote:
mulderpf wrote:You lost me when you judged him on his religion and then try and explain that you weren't judging him on that but still try and generalise which means that you judged him on that already.

Correct.
Look, I always try to look on the bright side. AND, I only told the religion of that specific chap is coz, I had a vague memory of a friend who had a similar experience and told me about that guy, so was wondering if anyone else had a similar terrible experience from this guy. As I've been in a out of the UK and never been that "insulted", and the reason I say "insulted" is coz he kept trying to discriminate me, and these aren't my words, my director who is not of any asian background said that this is clearly discrimination.
And, if he was just asking simply about my earnings were, then as an educated and civilized person, he would've listened to what i was saying in clear english, whereas he just wasn't listening as to whatever i was saying and just kept repeating like an literate and completely ignoring my answers. Coz, I was clearly telling him, this is the company i work with and this is how much I've earned.
And FYI: I'm not exaggerating

Harry80
Newly Registered

Post by Harry80 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I have just hear an other story of the same immigration officer(Sikh) at Heathrow.This Friday 18/10/2013 He stopped a guy from subcontinent (Tier 1 G holder) and questioned about his previous earnings .This guy was self Employed and was in UK since last 9 and half years.

The immigration officer threatened and abused him as well.

His previous tax payments to HMRC were checked ardor ding to his earnings claims to UKBA.

I don't know too much details but end of the story he accused him of fraud/bogus earnings claim.Some how the immigration officer was able to get this guy on a written statement (Big Mistake from the Guy).This guy was deported back to his home country on Saturday .

I personally think this guy (if he had genuine earnings) should not have sign any statement and instead if going back he should have asked for an in country appeal even from in the detention .

Self employed people's need to get their tax payments in order before they gets in to trouble .

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Harry80 wrote:

I have just hear an other story of the same immigration officer(Sikh) at Heathrow.This Friday 18/10/2013 He stopped a guy from subcontinent (Tier 1 G holder) and questioned about his previous earnings .This guy was self Employed and was in UK since last 9 and half years.

His previous tax payments to HMRC were checked ardor ding to his earnings claims to UKBA.

I don't know too much details but end of the story he accused him of fraud/bogus earnings claim.Some how the immigration officer was able to get this guy on a written statement (Big Mistake from the Guy).This guy was deported back to his home country on Saturday .

I personally think this guy (if he had genuine earnings) should not have sign any statement and instead if going back he should have asked for an in country appeal even from in the detention .

Self employed people's need to get their tax payments in order before they gets in to trouble .
The same immigration officer? Are you sure? Just on the basis that both immigration officers are Sikh? Heathrow is near Southall, which has the largest Sikh community in the UK. I am pretty certain that there is more than one visibly Sikh immigration officer working at Heathrow.

There have been lots of people who have gone to prison for organising large scale fraud for Tier 1 General/HSMP applications based on bogus previous earnings.

Harry80
Newly Registered

Post by Harry80 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 pm

PaperPusher wrote:
Harry80 wrote:

The same immigration officer? Are you sure? Just on the basis that both immigration officers are Sikh? Heathrow is near Southall, which has the largest Sikh community in the UK. I am pretty certain that there is more than one visibly Sikh immigration officer working at Heathrow.

There have been lots of people who have gone to prison for organising large scale fraud for Tier 1 General/HSMP applications based on bogus previous earnings.
I understand there are a big Sikh community in the London and there are may be more then 1 people's from the same background in the Heathrow .

One thing is common in both cases that the immigration officer was very abusive and unfriendly.He did not listen to the immigrant and just abuse/insulted him.

If I accept your logic that the immigration officer may not be the same one ... Then I am sorry ....

Are they all abusive,unfriendly and ill mannered .

1 person can be like this but not all of those.

I myself as a Punjabi/same culture and background like the immigration officer.I have so many friends from the same background.All of them are nice and friendly.

I totally agree to play by the rules and I will agree that they have to check the people's who are coming here.but they can check/work like 99% other immigration are working.They can investigate any body but in a professional/friendly way as UK is modern and civilised country and not a third world country .

Thx

romy4you

Post by romy4you » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:29 pm

hi,
i am going in December i am on tire 1 general .
i got my extension in April 2013 for 3 years but my earning was all from 2 employments .
i have earned about 43000 pounds to qualify my points .
do i need to worried about any thing ?

also in way back i am going Ireland . from Ireland i am coming by ship . not this heathrow .
any advise on this ?

AUHS
Member of Standing

Post by AUHS » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 pm

romy4you wrote:hi,
i got my extension in April 2013 for 3 years but my earning was all from 2 employments .

also in way back i am going Ireland . from Ireland i am coming by ship . not this heathrow .
any advise on this ?
Why you are scared man.

If your earrings were genuine then you don't have to worry about any thing .

But if some thing is fishy then ......

U might take Ship ,plane and train it's getting harder for the people's who abuse the system.

romy4you

Post by romy4you » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:50 am

:D
hi AUHS.

not afraid yar i am going in December i have 3 weeks holidays so i am traveling holland & Ireland . been travel by bus and ship many times i love to travel by ship .

dilip_gem

Post by dilip_gem » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 am

ROTFAL.. sorry but found this thread a bit funny.

IO has every right to question you about your job/earnings/education/background etc.. This applies to people with 'Settled/ILR' status as well. As long as your background is clear and your visit abroad was for Holiday/family visit/ personal or official tour/medical or family emergency, you should be fine.

Btw I've seen many IO (wearing turbans) at Heathrow airport (for last 8.5 years). You shouldn't worry if IO officer is wearing turban/skullcap/ orange colored wig (or a bald IO), as long as your papers are fine :)

Thanks for this post, I had a good laugh :)

Cheers,
D
Last edited by dilip_gem on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 am

romy4you wrote:hi,

any advise on this ?
You'll need a visa for Ireland remember, though there are few checks. I went to Dublin by ferry several times and was only stopped once.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Harry80
Newly Registered

Post by Harry80 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:55 am

[quote="dilip_gem"]ROTFAL.. sorry but found this thread a bit funny.

IO has every right to question you about your job/earnings/education/background etc.. This applies to people with 'Settled/ILR' status as well. As long as your background is clear and your visit abroad was for Holiday/family visit/ personal or official tour/medical or family emergency, you should be fine.

Btw I've seen many IO (wearing turbans) at Heathrow airport (for last 8.5 years). You shouldn't care if IO officer is wearing turban/skullcap/ orange colored wig (or a bald IO), as long as your papers are fine :)

Thanks for this post, I had a good laugh :)

Cheers,

I think you misunderstood the concept.

The question is not that why they questioned the peoples.They have every right to do so.No body is disputing that.

The problem is that it should be done professionally and nicely and not in abusive/insulted way.There a lot of other IO are working on air ports and never heard of such bad behaviour.

IO are sitting on a London airport and not in any third world countries airport where they can do whatever they want. :D

Perhaps if you work hard and paid tens of thousands of pounds towards the tax and NI in the last couple of years and then they treat you ill manneredly then you feel may be differently. :?
Because every body have a right to be treated FAIRLY.

romy4you

Post by romy4you » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:42 pm

hi Wanderer

i been in Holland for one year i went many European countries before . Ireland also .
came heathrow many times .
just be confident let them do there work .i never had any problem .

nks

Post by nks » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Harry80 wrote:

Per highlighted text, seems this guy's tax affairs were not in order and corroborating with earning calims, in which case, refusal to enter is apparently valid.

SHAIKH9870

Post by SHAIKH9870 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:31 pm

I had experience not bad as I was going to back from Heathrow to Pakistan, I have been stopped for scan check by gora and says let me show you a new nice machine I was not worry I say ok lets go for it :lol: as I love mahcines just like RANCHOO from 3-idiots 8)
he too my scan :P I said ok ...can I got now he was like ...eeehhh...

then after I stopped just getting in the plan by Indian guy NOT Muslim - he asked me ANT-SHUNT Qs ...why you were here I said I came here for shopping and he Was like :shock: I said now I am going back for my marriage ...then he didn't ask any question coz I was full prepare to give him a nice Insult as I was GOING BACK not coming in :D

well at Heathrow they do some ant-shunt looks and checks.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 am

i can imagine 40 % have not paid taxes

so they r grilling at ports and now at their centres

fasdone

Post by fasdone » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Sushil-ACCA wrote:i can imagine 40 % have not paid taxes

so they r grilling at ports and now at their centres
Taxes is not an immigration issue.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member