ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Tier 2 General VISA is Legal to do contracting?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

UKAspirant2
Newly Registered

Is Tier 2 General VISA is Legal to do contracting?

Post by UKAspirant2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 am

When I am searching for Contract Jobs in UK, most of the recruiters say ‘NO’ to Tier 2 General Visa holders in first call itself. My reject rate is 95% above due to visa in first call.

The general answers I get from recruiters is
- Client do not prefer Tier 2
- Tier 2 Visa is complex visa to hire
- Risk Involved with Tier 2
- Not legal to hire Tier 2 Visa

With my knowledge from UK Contract Job searching, 95% rejection just because of Tier 2 General Visa but not due to skills or opportunities matching. There are many returning from UK just because of this Tier 2 General VISA.

Surprisingly, I was not able to find any information about this Visa Issue until I face this. This information is no where discussed in any forums and everyone knowing this after landing here (with my contacts in UK).
1) What is the issue?
2) Why sponsors hide this and never discuss about this at all? This VISA sounds like to USA H1B but it is not really like H1B.
3) How tackle this issue in contracts searching?

(Newly applying wise people, please check this with you sponsor before applying plan for this issues ahead)

Please some help me with these three questions

UK Aspirant

Abdoulla.Elgazzar
Newly Registered

Post by Abdoulla.Elgazzar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi,

I think something is wrong here.

If you have been offered a job offer in the UK and your prospective employer is willing to sponsor you, you can apply on the Tier2 VISA.

UKAspirant2
Newly Registered

Post by UKAspirant2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:44 pm

@Abdoulla Elgazzarm

First of all thanks for reply.

I was sponsored by a sponsorship company and completed my first contract of 2 months duration. Now I am looking for second contract.

In this situation, I was not able to get even one interview due to Tier 2 General VISA issue. I am getting at least 5-10 calls every business day and I am ending up with message as I mentioned above by recruiters.

When I search about this VISA in Google before landing here, it shows up like independent contractor and freelancers can use this VISA to come to UK.

It is not just me, many people facing similar issue. Few lucky people getting contract jobs after waiting for few months.
Are you in Tier 2 General Visa and not facing this issue? If yes, can you share me few tips to get contract opportunity. This helps me as well as many who were sponsored by umbrella companies.

@Manci,
Can you help me to answer these questions pls.

Thanks in advance
- UK Aspirant

ArgieBee
Ireland

Post by ArgieBee » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am

Under tier 2, you are supposed to be the employee of the sponsorship company and the sponsorship company is required to pay you the salary stated on the CoS/visa application. Are they still paying you the salary?

Did you have to pay them before they would sponsor you?

How much of your contract rate went to the sponsor for the 2 months that you had a contract?

This company might be running a scam and if the authorities find out what they are doing then they could lose their sponsorship licence.

You may be better off looking for a proper sponsor.

UKAspirant2
Newly Registered

Post by UKAspirant2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi,

Legally, everything is correct and there is no issues with sponsor and my stay. I am getting paid as my contract value good amount compared to salary mentioned on my VISA documents.

Due to gap between contracts, I am loosing what I earned.

The situation is why recruiters do not accept Tier 2 General Visa? I assume there is a problem or legal issue with recruiters to hire candidates with this VISA and sponsor not discussing about these issues before landing.

Do you know is it legal to do contracting with Tier 2 General?

- UK Aspirant

Abdoulla.Elgazzar
Newly Registered

Post by Abdoulla.Elgazzar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Tier 2 General Visa won’t be given unless you have a job offer in hands. So I suppose you have already a sponsor who sponsored you?
Now and as I understood you are looking for a new job? Correct?

kmahere
Newly Registered

Post by kmahere » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi, Tier 2 visa is for employees who should work only for the sponsored employer, and not for any other employer. As contracts are like working for an employer different to that sponsored, it is not legal. A Tier 2 holder cannot have a direct contract.

However, if the contracting companies or agencies have their contract with your sponsoring company and list you as the personnel, you could work on contracts. Also note that there are few sponsors that just offer sponsorship without explaining what's legal/illegal, be careful with them.

As a tier 2 holder, you should only be paid salary/bonus by your sponsored employer, not directly by the clients.

kranthi15

Post by kranthi15 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Tier 2 General is Legal VISA, big companies who can not find right skills in market will sponsor visa to individual abroad... and small companies who cant afford to get all this process will hire skilled people as contractors...

Few companies will provide service to different clients like onsite resource service.. which is same as many Indian companies do by sending employees to Onsite work...

So few small companies in UK will provide t2g to skilled people and provide them as resource to clients... and some companies will provide t2g and ask employee to find the client for them self..

I do agree few agencies dont entertain t2g visa coz they dont have proper checking system in place, they just want quick money...which is why the person above is facing problem...

I know 100's of people who are on t2g and moving contracts all the time... and they are accepted by many agencies..

it might be your particular skill which need some kind of certification or to be given to only settled persons of UK

Please readers don't make any false conclusion about skilled category.

Tier 2 General is one of the best opportunity for professional to get international exposure...and good opportunity for companies to recruit right skilled person for required amount of time and get the business going...
Cheers

UKAspirant2
Newly Registered

Post by UKAspirant2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:23 pm

@Kranthi,
Here the context more precisely with CONTRACTING. Tier 2 general visa is legal otherwise I cannot cross the border.

This great VISA but land here with full knowledge.

After meeting solicitors, I got the answers clearly, to the point.

1) End client and sponsor should come to agreement so that if UKBA comes to any audit at end client place, they can able to trace back up to sponsor. (Recruitment/\ Agencies to not want to expose/share this sponsor details with end client. So Agencies avoid T2General Visa holders)

2) (Do not know)

3) To avoid this problem, do not search job through recruiters (Who cannot share your sponsor details with end client). Directly search with end client so that there will be no middle person between sponsor and end client. (NOTE: Few recruiters agree for tier 2 general visa holders)

So not all contract opportunities on job portal really available for T2G contractors. Searching job without agencies help is not easy one.

Thanks for everyone who answered me.

ukaspirant5
Newly Registered

Re: Is Tier 2 General VISA is Legal to do contracting?

Post by ukaspirant5 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:16 pm

UKAspirant2 wrote:When I am searching for Contract Jobs in UK, most of the recruiters say ‘NO’ to Tier 2 General Visa holders in first call itself. My reject rate is 95% above due to visa in first call.

The general answers I get from recruiters is
- Client do not prefer Tier 2
- Tier 2 Visa is complex visa to hire
- Risk Involved with Tier 2
- Not legal to hire Tier 2 Visa

With my knowledge from UK Contract Job searching, 95% rejection just because of Tier 2 General Visa but not due to skills or opportunities matching. There are many returning from UK just because of this Tier 2 General VISA.

Surprisingly, I was not able to find any information about this Visa Issue until I face this. This information is no where discussed in any forums and everyone knowing this after landing here (with my contacts in UK).
1) What is the issue?
2) Why sponsors hide this and never discuss about this at all? This VISA sounds like to USA H1B but it is not really like H1B.
3) How tackle this issue in contracts searching?

(Newly applying wise people, please check this with you sponsor before applying plan for this issues ahead)

Please some help me with these three questions

UK Aspirant
Hi All,

Tier 2 general people will not get the job,even though you have rare skill.If govt gives any flexibility 2014 April else better to leave from UK. my good suggestion

pythonista
India

Post by pythonista » Fri May 30, 2014 3:05 am

Hi UKAspirant2,

I am curious to know has your situation changed? Did you land yourself into a new contract?

Would you mind telling the name of the company that sponsored you?

Thanks.

tonyteeSG
Newly Registered

Post by tonyteeSG » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:58 am

hi UKAspirant5,
I am newly register user from Singapore.
I know this is old post in last year, I hope you can share your experience
about UK Tier-2 Visa.
one of the UK company/ agency is willing to sponsor Tier2 with contracting Visas and I need to pay for it.
my paid is under basic 35K pa and get a pay rate once u get a contracting job from clients( whether get it yourself
or the sponsor's clients)

a) Will the Tier2 visas able to help me to get a contract job there? I am a bit worry when read this issue in this forum?
b) Once contract is completed, I need to find another contract. In between , if no projects, I may not get any pay
it sound a bit risky
c) any alternatively way I can authorise and get sponsor besides Tier 2

d) any advise you can highlight since you had some experiences in this issue of this contracting ?

thanks
tony

PrinceFav
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by PrinceFav » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:10 pm

UKAspirant2 wrote:@Kranthi,
Here the context more precisely with CONTRACTING. Tier 2 general visa is legal otherwise I cannot cross the border.

This great VISA but land here with full knowledge.

After meeting solicitors, I got the answers clearly, to the point.

1) End client and sponsor should come to agreement so that if UKBA comes to any audit at end client place, they can able to trace back up to sponsor. (Recruitment/\ Agencies to not want to expose/share this sponsor details with end client. So Agencies avoid T2General Visa holders)

2) (Do not know)

3) To avoid this problem, do not search job through recruiters (Who cannot share your sponsor details with end client). Directly search with end client so that there will be no middle person between sponsor and end client. (NOTE: Few recruiters agree for tier 2 general visa holders)

So not all contract opportunities on job portal really available for T2G contractors. Searching job without agencies help is not easy one.

Thanks for everyone who answered me.
@UKAspirant2

This is a priced info, very genuine. Many only judge T2general visa by what they know on face value or what they've heard. Study to show yourself approved...

UKAspirant2
Newly Registered

Post by UKAspirant2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:16 am

I recently came across two people, who said this blog helped them to understand hidden problem with Tier 2 General Visa. Someone sent a private message about asking whether to drop off this kind of opportunity or not. I know how difficult it is to take decision from overseas. So I thought will add few more points from my experience. Note: This is just my view. It is really good way to come to UK but be prepared before landing. Work hard and get contracts.
- First of all, if your sponsor hiring you to employ within their capacity like any IT Services Company, NHS Hospital or other large business then there is no hurdle. It is straight forward.

- Try to find contract job with your friends and relatives in UK first than finding sponsor. (FINDING SPONSOR IS VERY EASY BUT CONTRACT JOB IS TOUGH)

- DO NOT PAY for T2 General Sponsorship
It is illegal. If at all you are required to pay, do not pay more than £500-£600 (I think their expense is less than £500 per person and rest goes to their pocket). There are number of decent tier 2 sponsors who charge £500 upfront. Remember, there are situations where these sponsor may close down their businesses and give you approximately 8 week notice time to find another sponsor. So paying them higher is more risky.

- Check whether your sponsor have recruiting capacity
If sponsor have recruiting capacity, it will be easier for them to place you in their existing clients. (Try to do all your research to find weather they have one such real capacity)

- Ask them “How do they support you, if you are in between contracts?”
Understand who is taking more risk and use this to negotiate terms well.

- Try to find people who were already working with sponsor. Learn their real experience.

- Find a reference to get contract job directly than using recruiting firms. Try LinkedIn and Xing

- Find sites like NHSJobs.co.uk where employers directly publish requirements without middle man. (Still Monster, Indeed, JobServe etc are worth. I got my contracts through monster only)

- Do not share more than required information to Recruiters
UK recruiting firms are very smart. They collect all details about your current interviews and market their services behind you. Give contact details of your reference as last thing after interview but not before. They try to market their services to your references than recruiting you. Do not be prey to their tricks.

- Do not stop finding job until you formally sign contract.

- Be prepared for unknown problems and keep PLAN B ready.
Other suggestions from successful tier2 general visa holder may help. Share your experience.
GOOD LUCK.

Regards
UKAspirant2

[quote]For critical decisions, listen to brain as well and not let heart overtake[/quote]

Srt2079
Newly Registered

Post by Srt2079 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Ukaspirant2,

Thank you very much for sharing this peice of information. I am also planning to switch to tier 2 general visa and would like to know your experience so far with your employers who had sponsored you for your visa. Can you please send me a private message with the details of the sponsoring companies and which are tge reliable ones. Thanks.

Tier2interest
Newly Registered

Post by Tier2interest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Hello UK Aspirant2,

Thanks for posting this valuable info. I am planning switch my Tier 2 ICT to Tier2 General thru a sponsor. I bit worried about job oppotunities here for based on these comments & your experience. Kindly send me a private message to know about your experience on how you tackled the situations when you were switching contract jobs.

ayanaforever
Newly Registered

Post by ayanaforever » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi,

It would be really helpful if some one can email inbox me with the legal sponsors in UK ?

Many Thanks
AJ

samukt2g
Newly Registered

Post by samukt2g » Fri May 15, 2015 10:02 am

Hi,

I know this is an old post but very useful information though. Especially thanks to UKaspirant2 for a great post.
How are the situations now on Tier 2 General. Well if anyone could provide information about sponsors who are charging below 2K,
Would be really helpful.

samukt2g
Newly Registered

Post by samukt2g » Tue May 19, 2015 8:30 am

Hi UKAspirant 2,

Your post certainly made me think on Tier 2 General.
I found a sponsor who is in a capacity of recruiting and they had personally floated my resume into their clients.
The only thing is they are charging me around 2k for the sponsorship and 32% (13.8% employer NI) on our day rate and would reduce it after an year.

Please provide me any suggestions to sam99sands at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Sam

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 19, 2015 11:43 am

Contracting on a T2 is not permitted.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 pm

There are organizations that will arrange a T2 General visa transfer for a "fee" and would require "you" to find projects thereby you generating an income for yourself and the company....... Not an ideal situation, strictly not illegal (as long as they pay employers NI contribution) but there are still companies who does that.... but I would certainly not recommend

samukt2g wrote:Hi UKAspirant 2,

Your post certainly made me think on Tier 2 General.
I found a sponsor who is in a capacity of recruiting and they had personally floated my resume into their clients.
The only thing is they are charging me around 2k for the sponsorship and 32% (13.8% employer NI) on our day rate and would reduce it after an year.

Please provide me any suggestions to sam99sands at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Sam

abhi_picar
Newly Registered

Post by abhi_picar » Tue May 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi UKaspirant2 ,

Thanks to UKaspirant2 for a great post.
I am also planning to switch to tier 2 general visa and would like to know your experience so far with your sponsor. Can you please send me a mail with the details of the sponsoring companies and which are the reliable ones.
Thanks
AC

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:43 am

List of Tier 2 approved sponsors below

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... onsors.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Sat May 30, 2015 6:48 pm

In my opinion recruitment agents are not allowed to act as sponsors. In Tier 2 you have to be working FOR the sponsor, not for someone else via the sponsor. The sponsor has to offer you a genuine vacancy, not a made-up one with the hope they can contract you out once you get here.

sandesh1008
Newly Registered

Post by sandesh1008 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:35 am

abhi_picar wrote:Hi UKaspirant2 ,

Thanks to UKaspirant2 for a great post.
I am also planning to switch to tier 2 general visa and would like to know your experience so far with your sponsor. Can you please send me a mail with the details of the sponsoring companies and which are the reliable ones.
Thanks
AC
Hi ahi_picar,

Have you managed to switch to T2G successfully ? How does the cooling period affects the change?
I am also trying to do the same.
It would be really helpful if you can share your experience.