ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for my child. better to give birth in uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

benz710
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for my child. better to give birth in uk

Post by benz710 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello.

My wife and I are British by naturalisation. We'd lived in the UK for more than 10 years before we left at the end of July 2013.
My wife is now 3 month pregnant. Is it better for me and my wife to go back to give birth in the uk so my child will not be british by descent.

So he/she will be able to pass British to another generation.

Thank you.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:17 pm

English third person pronouns are gender specific and using it would only be suitable for an animal or object, so for the sake of examples I will say he. If he is born outside the UK, he would still be able to pass his citizenship to his own children if they were born inside the UK. So, as you have no idea where he will be living in the future, I would be inclined to leave it to him, as an adult, to pay for his own airfare to the UK and medical costs, rather than you burden yourselves with paying for you own flights and medical costs now.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Lucapooka wrote:English third person pronouns are gender specific and using it would only be suitable for an animal or object, so for the sake of examples I will say he. If he is born outside the UK, he would still be able to pass his citizenship to his own children if they were born inside the UK. So, as you have no idea where he will be living in the future, I would be inclined to leave it to him, as an adult, to pay for his own airfare to the UK and medical costs, rather than you burden yourselves with paying for you own flights and medical costs now.
Very interesting thoughts. Culture plays a big part in thinking about this kind of issues. Lucapooka, you are right in one way, why to worry about where child will live, ultimately they will do what they want, and why spend money now as he/she is going to be a BC any ways.

As a parent, we always like to think about the best interest of the child and grand child and so on...here what if UK changes the rule on BC by decent, in that case if a child born in UK may have more advantage than not. Another thing, if a child is not born in UK, he/she can be deported to the country of birth but if he/she is born in UK, he/she will have a birth right here. I cannot speak for any nationality, but I know if an Indian has the option of their child being born in UK, they would, even if they had to travel.

Be good to your children because they are the ones who will choose your "home". :)

benz710
Newly Registered

Post by benz710 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:16 am

Thank you very much for all of your opinions.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:29 am

neoseal wrote:
Lucapooka wrote:English third person pronouns are gender specific and using it would only be suitable for an animal or object, so for the sake of examples I will say he. If he is born outside the UK, he would still be able to pass his citizenship to his own children if they were born inside the UK. So, as you have no idea where he will be living in the future, I would be inclined to leave it to him, as an adult, to pay for his own airfare to the UK and medical costs, rather than you burden yourselves with paying for you own flights and medical costs now.
Very interesting thoughts. Culture plays a big part in thinking about this kind of issues. Lucapooka, you are right in one way, why to worry about where child will live, ultimately they will do what they want, and why spend money now as he/she is going to be a BC any ways.

As a parent, we always like to think about the best interest of the child and grand child and so on...here what if UK changes the rule on BC by decent, in that case if a child born in UK may have more advantage than not. Another thing, if a child is not born in UK, he/she can be deported to the country of birth but if he/she is born in UK, he/she will have a birth right here. I cannot speak for any nationality, but I know if an Indian has the option of their child being born in UK, they would, even if they had to travel.

Be good to your children because they are the ones who will choose your "home". :)
Who told you a British citizen can be deported? A British Citizen can never ever be deported.

You seem to have lost your trolley to think if the law on citizenship by descent changes, the ones who already have citizenship will loose their citizenship and the loss of citizenship backdated. That would mean tens or most probably hundreds of thousand of British Citizens (and may I say white British) who were born overseas will need to be deported to Australia, Canada, USA, South Africa, Malaysia, Singapore and many other countries around the globe.

As far as Indians' obsession and mental anxities are concerned regarding gaining British ( or other western country's) citizenship is concerned, then I am sure that if you go near a graveyard in India and shout that British Citizenships are being granted easily, then even the dead people will get out of their graves and run to submitt their applications.

royh

Post by royh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:56 am

Could be some confusion over if you're born British than they can't strip you of anything since you have no other nationality to go to. I don't think it makes any difference born in UK or not since they can still strip anyone of British citizenship on national security grounds regardless.

The way things are going with "good character" (parking fines, cautions etc). . . Just need an ultra conservative government down the line to expand reasons.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:14 pm

royh wrote:Could be some confusion over if you're born British than they can't strip you of anything since you have no other nationality to go to. I don't think it makes any difference born in UK or not since they can still strip anyone of British citizenship on national security grounds regardless.

The way things are going with "good character" (parking fines, cautions etc). . . Just need an ultra conservative government down the line to expand reasons.
Actually, good character requirements have been eased for most people.

As far as persistent offenders and criminals are concerned, who wants them here?

royh

Post by royh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Actually, good character requirements have been eased for most people.
I thought the good character requirement changes/increases was introduced fairly recently, past year?. Also I won't entertain that other strawman. :-)

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Yes fairly recently.

Most immigrants had problem with traffic offence convictions such as driving on L license, speed limit violations, driving without insurance etc etc. They were required to wait 5 years after any of those convictions, because with all the convictions came a fine which took 5 years spent period.

Now, the conviction does not become spent for immigration or nationality purposes, but now they can apply 3 years after a non-custodial sentence and that includes fines.

So, many many immigrants have benefited from the new HO regime. Also, now naturalisation applications are being decided with a lightning speed. Immigrants would prefer it to be same day service though. :lol:

royh

Post by royh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:03 pm

ah thx I see, interesting info. Seemed really harsh beforehand.