ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New English language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

laxani

New English language requirement

Post by laxani » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi,
I got ILR via HSMP TIER1 route, so my English language requirements were already checked at that time. It is not clear if I need to submit any further documents during naturalisation?

Also, I have lost my life in the uk test certificate. This was checked during my ILR application. Can I just tick the relevant box or do I need to resit the exam?

Thanks

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I got ILR via HSMP TIER1 route, so my English language requirements were already checked at that time. It is not clear if I need to submit any further documents during naturalisation?
Cannot help you there, looking for the answer to the same for some time now. My hunch would be to attached the expired IELTS certificate (in my case) and the approval letter which mentioned I got 30 points for education.
Also, I have lost my life in the uk test certificate. This was checked during my ILR application. Can I just tick the relevant box or do I need to resit the exam?
Thats trouble pal, the NCS folks asked me to get along my original LIUK certificate. I am afraid you might have to write it again, others can confirm.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Laxani,

I am not an expert on this subject and have just started looking for information on citizenship application. I hope someone may correct me if I am wrong:

"If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

So, I am of the opinion if you have already done it, reattaching the old proof would suffice.

laxani

Post by laxani » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks that makes sense but I am not sure what evidence they would like. Any experience at NCS would be welcome

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 pm

laxani wrote:Hello, I am unable to ascertain if a 2003 IELTS will be accepted as KOLL? THANKS
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

laxani

Hello, I am unable to ascertain if a 2003 IELTS will be acce

Post by laxani » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello, I am unable to ascertain if a 2003 IELTS will be accepted as KOLL? THANKS

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 pm

If you met a B1 English requirement for entry clearance, that should suffice. Furthermore, do you have a degree taught in English?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

laxani

Post by laxani » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi,
I will get the degree taught in English with a letter from university confirming the same, but IELTS will be a better proof provided they accept old exam score. I don't want to pay NARIC unnecessarily.
Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm

£50 to make sure, I think is worth it for a £900 application.

laxani

Post by laxani » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:00 pm

D4109125 wrote:£50 to make sure, I think is worth it for a £900 application.
Thanks. I was thinking the same but I don't have official transcript hence can't apply for naric. My bachelor degree was taught in English and I have the letter from university as well. Still I am stuck it seems.

I have IELTS and TOEFL from 2003 but it appears they want them within 2 years.

Any suggestions please? My NCS appointment is on 14th Nov.

Many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Why do you not have the official certificate?

laxani

Post by laxani » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Guru,
I have the certificate but not the official transcript. It looks like the transcript is necessary from the naric website. I have mbbs degree 14 yrs ago and don't have the official transcript.

Will my ielts work?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

The requirement is:
Certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at
B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification;
It does not mention test validity but one would assume it would need to be valid.

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:00 pm

laxani wrote:
Thanks. I was thinking the same but I don't have official transcript hence can't apply for naric. My bachelor degree was taught in English and I have the letter from university as well. Still I am stuck it seems.

Many thanks
In 2010 I was told by UKBA that they don't care when I passed the IELTS and my certificate from 2000 was accepted for Tier2. Hope still this rules stays valid. Let us know what happens to you.

laxani

Post by laxani » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:27 pm

shahfor wrote:
laxani wrote:

Many thanks
In 2010 I was told by UKBA that they don't care when I passed the IELTS and my certificate from 2000 was accepted for Tier2. Hope still this rules stays valid. Let us know what you happens to you.
Thanks, one of my friends said the same thing. In the an form booklet it does not mention a valid certificate but just a certificate. So I hope a certificate will do.

I will apply for a naric certificate as well tomorrow. I hope I will obtain the certificate before my NCS appointment on 14th. Anybody has any idea about the actual time taken by naric? It mentions 10 to 15 days?
Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I am still awaiting confirmation, I shall ask also about the validity of tests.

laxani

Post by laxani » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Also in the booklet in the exemption part it says

If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK, on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to demonstrate it again

Does this mean that previous tier 1 applicants will be automatically exempt? But then it should have read on or BEFORE. 28 October?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:06 pm

That would be applicable to those who gained ILR after 28-Oct-2013, they would not need to show any additional requirement for naturalisation KoLL.

laxani

Post by laxani » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:42 pm

D4109125 wrote:I am still awaiting confirmation, I shall ask also about the validity of tests.
Thanks Guru.

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 pm

laxani wrote:Guru,
I have the certificate but not the official transcript. It looks like the transcript is necessary from the naric website. I have mbbs degree 14 yrs ago and don't have the official transcript.

Will my ielts work?
I spoke to NARIC today, for purpose of 'TRANSCRIPT' they are happy with my 'STATEMENT OF MARKS' from University of Delhi stating the marks obtained in various subjects for the 3 years of degree. They said they are not interested in the subjects you study but only fact that the duration of your degree is THREE years and a letter from your college or university confirming the medium of instruction was English. I was quite confused by word 'Transcript' and was not sure if anything extra is required.

By the way I'm asking my college to issue a certificate about medium of instruction being English (rather than asking the University of Delhi's central administration department which can be more complicated / time consuming). NARIC said the certificate by college is acceptable and need not be from central admin office of the university. Anyone has experience about this - giving certificate from college vs from university? both being acceptable?

By the way I intend to get only NARIC ELA for applying BC. I think SoC is NOT needed. Could someone please enlighten on this aspect? Thanks!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 pm

laxani wrote: If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK, on or after 28 October 2013,
That would mean if an applicant satisfied the requirement ON or AFTER 28 october. ON or AFTER would certainly not include BEFORE 28 october, because if they meant BEFORE then they would say BEFORE and not ON or AFTER. :wink:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/on?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/after?s=t

kishor_mit

Re:

Post by kishor_mit » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 am

teekay125 wrote:
laxani wrote:Guru,

Will my ielts work?
I spoke to NARIC today, for purpose of 'TRANSCRIPT' they are happy with my 'STATEMENT OF MARKS' from University of Delhi stating the marks obtained in various subjects for the 3 years of degree. They said they are not interested in the subjects you study but only fact that the duration of your degree is THREE years and a letter from your college or university confirming the medium of instruction was English. I was quite confused by word 'Transcript' and was not sure if anything extra is required.

By the way I'm asking my college to issue a certificate about medium of instruction being English (rather than asking the University of Delhi's central administration department which can be more complicated / time consuming). NARIC said the certificate by college is acceptable and need not be from central admin office of the university. Anyone has experience about this - giving certificate from college vs from university? both being acceptable?

By the way I intend to get only NARIC ELA for applying BC. I think SoC is NOT needed. Could someone please enlighten on this aspect? Thanks!

hi teekay125,

Have you received the Degree comparison and medium of instruction (in English) letters from NARIC?

A letter from the College with medium of instruction mentioned, acceptable by NARIC to confirm that the degree was tough in English?

Regards.

kishor_mit

Re: New English language requirement

Post by kishor_mit » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Update - received both Comparability and English language assessment letters for an Indian bachelors degree (3 years) based on the letter from College and original certificates.

Statement of Comparability took 5 working days.
English Language Assessment took 10 working days