ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New AN form from 28-Oct-2013

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 am

D4109125 wrote:They realised that people from 25/10/13 would need to submit the new AN form so uploaded it I think without further checks, leading to confusion because UKNARIC do not do an English Language Assessment for overseas Masters and PhDs.
Are you anticipating them to change forms again to correct little bit in this week or so?

Fairychild

Post by Fairychild » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 am

[quote]
Please let everybody know that. What email address have you got from HO?[/quote]

FurtherNationalityEnquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk

If I don't hear anything in the next few days I will probably book an IELTS test. My husband wrote his this weekend.

I have a masters degree in english but I don't have the transcripts and it will probably take me a lot longer to get it and then get the NARIC english assessment.

royh

Post by royh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:You can use the old form for 28 days from when it was published.
Wonder what happens to the ppl who got a referee to sign a recent form but plan to apply later down the line? I know referees can sign 6 months beforehand according to another thread, but if the page numbers and sections turn out different for later forms it could mean they will have to ask the referees again and they'll probably not want to do it and get paranoid/suspicious.

Jaeger
Mood:

Post by Jaeger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 pm

How about degrees from UK universities?

Aren't they self-explanatory? Or still ELA from NARIC is needed?

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I and my wife just came back from NCS submitting our application. I have done IELTS around three months ago and my wife presented her Msc degree from UK university. no issues at all. The lady that attended us didn't even know it was a new form released last Friday; I had to educate her on it.

We hope we get naturalised before year end.

Fairychild

Post by Fairychild » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Fingers crossed Pqek!

I found my master degree certfificate and transcript but are unsure if NARIC does english assessment on post grad degree? :? Is it worth the ££ and will it be level B1?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 pm

As far as I am aware NARIC do not offer the English Language Assessment for overseas Masters or PhDs as per:
NARIC wrote:UK NARIC will not be able to assess any tests, which are not included on the Home Office list of approved English language tests or provide an English language assessment of overseas degrees which are comparable to UK Master's and research degrees.
Contact NARIC on 01242 258621 and confirm.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Fairychild

Post by Fairychild » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks Amber. :)

I gave them a call and the advisor said they can only do an English language assessment on a degree that is equivalent to a Bachelors degree in the UK.

So if your overseas degree is equivalent to a Bachelors degree in the UK then they can assess it but if it is higher than a Bachelors degree in the UK they cannot assess it for English language.

:(
Last edited by Fairychild on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Loona
Newly Registered

Post by Loona » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:21 am

It is clearly mentioned on page 3 of following document that:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

"Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

I called Home Office Croydon office at 0870 606 7766 to confirm and was told that people who did IELTS (now expired) at time of entry clearance will NOT need to do it again as they have already satisfied language requirements. I am applying for Naturalisation.

Hopefully guys who has asked the same question from Home Office through email will get the same reply.

Fairychild

Post by Fairychild » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 am

Loona thank you, that was my understanding too and it is good to hear that Home Office said that.

It is just a shame that there is nowhere on the application form to indicate this and I'm not sure if NCS will accept my application as I don't have my expired IETLS Test certificate. Any mention of this when you spoke to Home Office? Are you applying through NCS?

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:13 am

Great news Loona, I am still a bit concerned that it doesnt say that explicitly in any of the docs, or the form.

I will try to get this in an email from the HO, however, I do realise getting it is almost impossible.
Challenges make life worth it!

Loona
Newly Registered

Post by Loona » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 pm

[quote="Fairychild"]Loona thank you, that was my understanding too and it is good to hear that Home Office said that.

It is just a shame that there is nowhere on the application form to indicate this and I'm not sure if NCS will accept my application as I don't have my expired IETLS Test certificate. Any mention of this when you spoke to Home Office? Are you applying through NCS?[/quote]

NCS is just a processing office and in my opinion the only benefit of applying thorough it is that you get your original documents back so are free to travel. I am sure they won't object to whatever documents you submit. When I asked about the new language requirement, my local NCS advised to contact Home Office as they only act is facilitators in sending documents.

Yes I didn't see the language acquirement exemption applicable to us on the new Application form but I believe it may be incompetence on Home Office part. I will just add a note in the exemption section attaching copy of HO document mentioning exemption and attach my expired IElLTs certificate. Have you tried to get a copy of your IELTS. The following link may help:

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/help/lost-certificates/

Fairychild

Post by Fairychild » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks will try the lost certificate option.

I have my home office letter from my Tier 1 Visa Application in 2010 that say I was awarded points for language requirement. I may just include that in my application.

Greggio_f
Newly Registered

Knowledge of Life in the UK test

Post by Greggio_f » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

So we don't have to sit the Life in the UK test again, right?

I just went to print out the forms and noticed the changes - I was expecting to check the "I've satisfied this previously" box.

I got ILR in mid-November last year and sat the Life in the UK test for that. But the person who reviewed and approved our ILR kept the Life in the UK test certificate. Hopefully, I've still got a copy of it so I can get the test number...

The English language one's fairly simple for me at least being a NZ Citizen.

Update: The evidence requirements at the back of the AN1 form require the "Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor". There's no alternative provided if you had to supply that for an earlier application and didn't get it back... Any thoughts?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:32 pm

If the Home Office have already seen your LIUK test they shouldn't need it again.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Greggio_f
Newly Registered

Post by Greggio_f » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:32 pm

D4109125 wrote:If the Home Office have already seen your LIUK test they shouldn't need it again.
Definitely agree that they shouldn't need to see it. I don't have much confidence in the UKBA's consistent application of their rules though, even when the rules are clear. Here the form's unhelpful on this point - which is particularly frustrating; if that's all they were changing the form for, you'd think they could've been clearer.

The announcement of the changes seems pretty clear, though, that it's not intended that anyone should have to re-sit it if they've already done so. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best...

Dreamcatcher09
Newly Registered

Exemption from English Language Reqmt - Home Office website

Post by Dreamcatcher09 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Hello Friends,

To add further confusion, I found this on the ukba site:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... exemption/

The last paragraph says:
Knowledge of language and life in the UK became a requirement for settlement in 2007. If you were exempted from this requirement when you applied for settlement, you must now pass a test or take an ESOL course before applying for naturalisation, unless the previous exemption was agreed on grounds of your age or a physical or mental impairment. If you satisfied the settlement-stage requirements to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK, you do not have to do it again.

This whole thing has been put together in a hurry without proper thought process... People should not be asked to get the NARIC SoC & ELA if they have already met their requirement eligibility...

Have emailed them...If they don't respond in 48 hrs, will have to pay £110 in this futile & illogical exercise.[/u][/i]

Shiftingsands
Newly Registered

Post by Shiftingsands » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:44 pm

I have booked an NCS appointment for Nov 18,2013. They say that as long as the degree certificate is in English and I have passed the LiUK test, there is no need for any additional documents.

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi Shiftingsands,

Which NCS did you talk to?

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Shiftingsands I would be careful, if the degree is not from the UK it should be deemed by UKNARIC to be comparable.

Shiftingsands
Newly Registered

Post by Shiftingsands » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:01 pm

D4109125 wrote:Shiftingsands I would be careful, if the degree is not from the UK it should be deemed by UKNARIC to be comparable.
Yes, I agree. I have double checked with the NCS guys and he claims that they have received clear guidelines now.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:05 pm

Well if they have clear guidance then it should be available to the public as they're not caseworkers. Perhaps ask for a copy of this guidance.

Shiftingsands
Newly Registered

Post by Shiftingsands » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 pm

D4109125 wrote:Well if they have clear guidance then it should be available to the public as they're not caseworkers. Perhaps ask for a copy of this guidance.
ok will call them again to double check. shall keep you all posted.

Shiftingsands
Newly Registered

Post by Shiftingsands » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:03 pm

Shiftingsands wrote:
D4109125 wrote:Well if they have clear guidance then it should be available to the public as they're not caseworkers. Perhaps ask for a copy of this guidance.
ok will call them again to double check. shall keep you all posted.
I spoke to the NCS service at the council again. She confirmed that all i need is my degree certificate in English and my LiUK test original.

Hope this helps.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:39 pm

I spoke to the NCS service at the council again. She confirmed that all i need is my degree certificate in English and my LiUK test original
Is this because the UKBA can check by themselves if the degree has been taught in English?

Did anyone who emailed UKBA for clarification on the English language requirement get any response from them?