ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tier1G09
India

Post by Tier1G09 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Sincere apologies if I am asking same thing again. I have done my MBA from UK University, do I need to give B1 examination or to provide NARIC comparability letter.

Sorry i am bit confused.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:27 pm

A UK degree will suffice the additional B1 requirement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Tier1G09
India

Post by Tier1G09 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:34 pm

D4109125 wrote:A UK degree will suffice the additional B1 requirement.
Many thanks Amber, this will save me to give any test or comparability letter.

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Following this link

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English;

The above contents says that your degree should be deemed by UK NARIC and they have not mentioned that you need to get a certificate from them. As I heard the PBS calculator database was fed from the UK NARIC database. so if effectively your degree is available in PBS, then it will be available in the UK NARIC. The points 1 and 2 are the enough evidences to provide and they have never mentioned a proof from NARIC is a must..!!!

correct me if im wrong. Thanks

karg_g

Post by karg_g » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi All

BalajiSundaram: Agreed. This is what I said exactly in my earlier post. Thanks for interpreting the same way I have done. The way it works is as long as your uni/school meets the requirement as per PBS calculator it implies its part of UK Naric and hence it mirrors qualification similar to UK's BS/MS/Ph.D. Furthermore it also implies the course to be taught in English and as per the information from UKBA its assumed to be Bachelor/Masters and hence no further proof required for English requirement.
karg_g wrote:Hi,

I still think if your university/college is part of PBS points calculator you should be fine. See below the first few lines nails our concern.

1) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

Page 3, Para 2: "Degrees taught in English
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal
speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide
appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered
automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be
required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK."

Good Luck
I try to give honest answers, however I might be wrong, kindly always check with your solicitor/accountant for final confirmation

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:23 pm

[quote="D4109125"]It doesn't matter if they deem it as C1 or not. As even if they do not, they will still confirm the degree was taught in English under the English Language Assessment. However, they will [i]not [/i]confirm whether a Masters or PhD was taught in English only Bachelors, which is what I have the issue with.[/quote]

I agree here. When I called home office last week they said they considered a degree course taught in English higher than ielts, esol or any test you take. It does not matter if its not c1. As long as uk naric certifies it's uk bachelors standard and taught in English that should suffice.

Now the outstanding question is if you give a uk naric comparability certificate and letter from your Asian university confirming English was the medium would they accept that option? I thing D4109125 has email to confirm just that...

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:55 pm

OP updated.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

rajee120

Post by rajee120 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

What is OP?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:20 pm

The original post on page 1.

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 pm

D4109125 wrote:OP updated.
Hi Amber,

What is your take on NARIC Comparability for Bachelors degree + Mark Sheet mentioning "Medium is English"?

It is too late to receive the letter from organisation and Eng Assessment is still not clear for B1.

So either Mark Sheet or B1 from ESOL.

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello Amber,

From the sample i could see for english language requirement, there is no confirmation that the degree was taught in english.

There is one row as

Level Of English: Description whether it meets C1 CEFR or not
so, degrees from Asian universities as i understand are not at C1 level, they will return back stating that the degree does not meet C1 CEFR; which cannot demonstrate that the degree was taught in english

Not sure, whether i am missing something here.
If what i have said is right, then the only option we Asians have it to go for english language test, is it not?
[/quote]

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:34 pm

The English Language assessment should read something on the lines of:

....although we can confirm the degree was taught in English we cannot confirm this meets a C1 level.

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:35 pm

D4109125 wrote:The English Language assessment should read something on the lines of:

....although we can confirm the degree was taught in English we cannot confirm this meets a C1 level.
Have we seen some samples of it, where it has been stated like this?

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm

t_india wrote:
D4109125 wrote:The English Language assessment should read something on the lines of:

I went for this some months ago and got letter similar in wordings what Guru said.

I can look for letter and post its wordings if needed.

Thanks

john353

Post by john353 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:39 pm

so, degrees from Asian universities as i understand are not at C1 level, they will return back stating that the degree does not meet C1 CEFR
Just want to double check......is this statement applicable for all institutes in Asia or are there exceptions?

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 pm

fslateef wrote:
t_india wrote:

I went for this some months ago and got letter similar in wordings what Guru said.

I can look for letter and post its wordings if needed.

Thanks
fslateef,

if you can double check and confirm, it will really be good.

Thanks

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:42 pm

fslateef wrote:I can look for letter and post its wordings if needed
That would be a big help because the sample UK NARIC has posted on their website is only for C1 level but we are not sure what will be the wording otherwise!

HSMPLOCHA

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 pm

[quote="D4109125"]
I believe that the Statement of Comparability and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice, but until this is confirmed by the Home Office you should use caution.[/quote]

I called Home office this morning and they said the above will be accepted. I did make it clear that there was no option on the form. they told me they will accept it and that I should send it in.

to be proved when my application is submitted. please use this option with caution unless ho updates the form or I can confirm my application was successful. :)

good luck

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:34 pm

BalajiSundaram wrote:Following this link

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English;

The above contents says that your degree should be deemed by UK NARIC and they have not mentioned that you need to get a certificate from them. As I heard the PBS calculator database was fed from the UK NARIC database. so if effectively your degree is available in PBS, then it will be available in the UK NARIC. The points 1 and 2 are the enough evidences to provide and they have never mentioned a proof from NARIC is a must..!!!

correct me if im wrong. Thanks
I did call the UKBA 2 times today just get their opinion on this. They have said that the statement of comparability is mandatory for this. I have said them that the guidelines doesn't ask for any proof from UK NARIC it just only states that the qualification needs to be deemed. UKBA customer service said that they will not get to know if your degree is deemed by UK NARIC Unless you have a letter from them and as well one of the customer service said that they are not using PBS for settlement category to check if the qualification is deemed by UK NARIC. Hope this helps !!!

landsend
Newly Registered

Post by landsend » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:36 pm

I get same situation with you. Please see following document from UKBA says: "We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will be required to take another one. So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage."

It looks that we do not have to provide qualification, however does anybody make sure about it?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf
okokok wrote:Sorry, guys, I'm still a little bit confused:
1) I am on Tier-2 General (2009 + 2012). When applying for entry clearance I have provided to NARIC a letter from my Uni (non-English speaking, in general) that my PhD was written in English. This was okay then, and I have claimed successfully 10 points on PBS. After 3 years, when applying for another Tier-2 visa I ticked the box “language qualification has been proven already” (or something of this kind). Does it mean that my qualification will continue to be automatically recognised for ILR purpose? I glanced over the application form and I cannot see such a subsection present. I bet many of us are in quite a similar situation. Do I have to contact NARIC one more time asking them to confirm something which has been actually confirmed by them 5 years ago?
2) Sorry for not asking this in a separate thread: if an ILR application is refused is the applicant entitled to remain until her previous (current) visa expires, or the rejection implies cancelation of current visa too? Many thanks, and sorry for probably being repetitive.

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:48 pm

landsend wrote:I get same situation with you. Please see following document from UKBA says: "We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will be required to take another one. So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage."

It looks that we do not have to provide qualification, however does anybody make sure about it?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf
okokok wrote:Sorry, guys, I'm still a little bit confused:
1) I am on Tier-2 General (2009 + 2012). When applying for entry clearance I have provided to NARIC a letter from my Uni (non-English speaking, in general) that my PhD was written in English. This was okay then, and I have claimed successfully 10 points on PBS. After 3 years, when applying for another Tier-2 visa I ticked the box “language qualification has been proven already” (or something of this kind). Does it mean that my qualification will continue to be automatically recognised for ILR purpose? I glanced over the application form and I cannot see such a subsection present. I bet many of us are in quite a similar situation. Do I have to contact NARIC one more time asking them to confirm something which has been actually confirmed by them 5 years ago?
2) Sorry for not asking this in a separate thread: if an ILR application is refused is the applicant entitled to remain until her previous (current) visa expires, or the rejection implies cancelation of current visa too? Many thanks, and sorry for probably being repetitive.
Yes this is as per the statement of intent. However there is no option in the new application form, to indicate, this has already been proved as part of entry clearance or extension

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi All,

I had called the UK NARIC, to see whether there has been any communication from UKBA to UK NARIC on what would be the appropriate certificate to be issued.

As expected, there is no such communication.

Further, i did check with them, and came to understand that some standard universities from India, would meet up to C1 level
and hence we cannot generalise that when we apply for english language assesment, we will get negative result for sure.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 pm

The following post is regarding settlement (ILR) applications and the additional B1 English requirement.

If you have an overseas Bachelor’s, Masters or PhD degree that is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English then that should suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to the LIUK test.

There are two assessments/statements offered by UKNARIC:

1. UKNARIC statement of comparability and

2. UKNARIC English Language Assessment

I believe that the Statement of Comparability (thus the degree is deemed to be comparable by UKNARIC) and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice as per the Home Office Guidance at page 35.

For naturalisation: it would appear that both the statement and assessment are required until it is clarified any different.

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 pm

I applied for ILR today at Croydon and it was success. I will post full details in couple of days but for English lang this is what I gave

1. main applicant
- bachelor degree certificate
- NARIC comparability letter
- Letter from university mentioning medium of instruction

2. dependent applicant
- Transcript mentioning medium of instruction

Hope this helps

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 pm

tier1check wrote:I applied for ILR today at Croydon and it was success. I will post full details in couple of days but for English lang this is what I gave

1. main applicant
- Letter from university mentioning medium of instruction

2. dependent applicant
- Transcript mentioning medium of instruction

Hope this helps
at least tell us that your degree was from uk university or from overseas university.