ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

I am applying for naturalisation and I see this in the new form (Oct 28)

Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and (i) an English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in English or (ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);

Can anyone suggest me how can i get this UK NARIC certificate? My course which was done in India had qualified under points system (used this while applying for ILR/PR)

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Google UK Naric and by magic, all the information will appear on your screen.

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Google UK Naric and by magic, all the information will appear on your screen.
:) done! Just to benefit other's

Please use this following link

http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/C ... ility.aspx

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Grand Magician. :lol:

ken218

Post by ken218 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:37 pm

for degrees taught in a non-English speaking country, don't forget to apply for the English Language Assessment as well.

The two certificates together would cost over £110... maybe I should just do the English test...

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm

If they cost that much, then there is option of doing english test. Costs £ 125 a shot, and results in a week. But the benefit for UK Naric is, that you can use their assesment for other purposes too if you want to.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 pm

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award.

from Naric website
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:If they cost that much, then there is option of doing english test. Costs £ 125 a shot, and results in a week. But the benefit for UK Naric is, that you can use their assesment for other purposes too if you want to.
There are two kind of assessments in UK NARIC
English Language Assessment
Statement of Comparability

Wanted to confirm that it required to get certificate for both?

Prices are as below ,

https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/Individuals/

avijendr

Post by avijendr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 pm

sreblog wrote:
Ayyubi72 wrote:If they cost that much, then there is option of doing english test. Costs £ 125 a shot, and results in a week. But the benefit for UK Naric is, that you can use their assesment for other purposes too if you want to.

Prices are as below ,

So do we need both or just the English Language Assessment? Please confirm.

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 pm

avijendr wrote:
sreblog wrote:

Prices are as below ,

So do we need both or just the English Language Assessment? Please confirm.
Yes you need to applied for both i.e. Comparability and English language.

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Could someone please share the comparative details (effort / cost / time delay / location etc) for the potential English tests? I could google it but if someone has already has first hand info / experience, will be appreciated and save time for many. Thanks.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:34 pm

UK Naric - Statement of comparability and English language comparability £ 55.20 each, Total £ 110.40, Turnaround around 15 days.

Trinity college B1 cefr listening and speaking exam - 15 minutes test, same day results, certificate within 14 days, Cost £ 125

http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/b1-esol ... vel-3.html

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:42 am

TOEFL ibt can also be a good option. Cost is $185 which comes out at present to be roughly £117.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:26 pm

What has Statement of Comparability got to do with Naturalization? Does it mean you have to obtain a degree to apply for BC?
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Adojay wrote:What has Statement of Comparability got to do with Naturalization? Does it mean you have to obtain a degree to apply for BC?
The thing is although you have a degree taught in English, that degree still should be at the level of Bachelors/Masters/PhD in UK.
So that means you have to prove that you have a degree that is comparable to UK degree + that should be taught in English.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:36 pm

p2kin wrote:
Adojay wrote:What has Statement of Comparability got to do with Naturalization? Does it mean you have to obtain a degree to apply for BC?
The thing is although you have a degree taught in English, that degree still should be at the level of Bachelors/Masters/PhD in UK.
So that means you have to prove that you have a degree that is comparable to UK degree + that should be taught in English.
The question is, of what benefit is this document to applying for BC? This should have been requested before initial entry to the UK. We are already here working with whatever degrees we have. How does it affect naturalization? How come obtaining B1 CEFR now makes it all okay? Honestly, I don't see any sense in all this. During HSMP?Tier 1, FLR and ILR applications, we have all claimed points for English Language (compulsory) so how is this one different?

- Vince Lombardi

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Adojay wrote: The question is, of what benefit is this document to applying for BC? This should have been requested before initial entry to the UK. We are already here working with whatever degrees we have. How does it affect naturalization? How come obtaining B1 CEFR now makes it all okay? Honestly, I don't see any sense in all this. During HSMP?Tier 1, FLR and ILR applications, we have all claimed points for English Language (compulsory) so how is this one different?
Accept you point for T1G/T2G applicants, but there are other routes with which applicant can obtain settled status & then free for Naturalisation, it's meant to be for them according to Statement of intent.

Where I see UKBA has gone wrong is, they have omitted option for applicants like T1G/T2G saying "I have proved this in my earlier application.".

Let's see what other kind of problems are presented due to incomplete version of new AN form. I'm expecting many such complaints over next 2-3 weeks atleast. Not to mention, I'm one of them.

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi, Me and My wife both are on ILR , she was on spouse of Tier1 Applicant visa before ILR , I can understand that if I produce the PBS calculator points and a letter from University should be enough for me as UKBA has been awarding me 35 points for my degree from the very first day. My question is as My wife got same degree , same course , same university and same year (we both were class fellows), Are these documents (I will get her letter from uni as well ) work for her naturalization as well or she have to do those stupid English courses.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:09 pm

sharjeelpk wrote:Hi, Me and My wife both are on ILR , she was on spouse of Tier1 Applicant visa before ILR , I can understand that if I produce the PBS calculator points and a letter from University should be enough for me as UKBA has been awarding me 35 points for my degree from the very first day. My question is as My wife got same degree , same course , same university and same year (we both were class fellows), Are these documents (I will get her letter from uni as well ) work for her naturalization as well or she have to do those stupid English courses.
Unless there is any new pronouncement to this issue, both you and your wife will have to send your degree certs and letter from your uni to UK NARIC for assessment. It's sad that we've all been claiming points on degree and English language since day one, and yet at the last hurdle they want us to demonstrate proficiency in the language. Don't get it!

- Vince Lombardi

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:19 pm

NARIC certification may not be required if your degree is recognised on PBS calculator. However do take print out of PBS calcultor showing that it awards you 10 points for English language.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=150136

vinodhks
Newly Registered

Re: English language requirement for naturalisation

Post by vinodhks » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 am

Please refer https://www.gov.uk/english-language. It clearly mentioned that

You’ll need to provide your original degree certificate and 1 of the following:

-a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
-an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
-an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (excepting Canada)

I am going to apply next week with a point based calculator print out and let every one knows what happens..

farrukhnizam

Post by farrukhnizam » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi,
my wife is going to apply nationalization soon. She needs to take B1 exam.
Is there any way she can take IELTS exam instead of B1 exam. If yes then which one she can take it like IELTS General or Academic and score required to reach B1 level.

Thanks
FN

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:46 pm

farrukhnizam wrote:Hi,
my wife is going to apply nationalization soon. She needs to take B1 exam.
Is there any way she can take IELTS exam instead of B1 exam. If yes then which one she can take it like IELTS General or Academic and score required to reach B1 level.

Thanks
FN
There is nothing called B1 exam. In the list of tests below, you need a set score to be treated as B1 level. Please see the approved list of tests and scores required to satisfy the B1 level of English . By the way, IELTS is in the list and one needs to get atleast 4.0 to attain a B1 level. She cantake academic or general.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

tascopic
Newly Registered

Post by tascopic » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:01 am

if one has obtained a post graductae Diploma from a UK university and applying for naturalisation. what evidence does he need to show to meet the english level requirements? thanks

guptarakeshh1
Newly Registered

Post by guptarakeshh1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 am

Hi,
I need a help on English Language
I moved to UK way back in 2007, them HSMP in 2009 where I was given 10 points for english its the same again last year when I had to applied for my ILR, again I was given 10 points for English along with my English test which i had to pass for my ILR. Do I need to get my Degree verified for NARIC when UKBA has awarded me points for my Degree and English language ( 10 points) on all the previous 3 occasions?
Also about my spouse, as per UKBA online points calculator, she gets 10 points for her English and required points for her Degree ( Bachelor of Science from Ranchi University) , she has also passed the English test required for ILR, Do I still need to get her degree verified by NARIC to claim 10 points for English?
whether the UKBA calculator will be accepted by Brent Council - National checking services team for my Naturalisation , where I intend to visit to submit my documents.
A prompt help will be highly appreciated...Many thanks