ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is the IELTS a suitable equivalent of English at B1 CEFR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tallyhoope
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by tallyhoope » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:45 am

I have an ILR in the UK and want to apply for British citizenship soon, I won't be able to apply before the Oct 28 deadline and was just wondering what the equivalents/alternatives for the now mandatory English tests at B1 CEFR level or higher are, the equivalents weren't even listed, talk about Immigration's Organization!!! I have an IELTS certificate with an overall score 8.0, minimum score 7.0 from just over a year ago. Is it good enough as an alternative/equivalent to exempt me from having to take this unnecessary and expensive English speaking and listening test. I have passed my Life in the UK though, passed that even before bagging my ILR in 2011. So i got that end covered, it's just ridiculous we have to do English tests before citizenship will be conferred, Any honest answers would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

nionlight
Member of Standing

Re: Is the IELTS a suitable equivalent of English at B1 CEFR

Post by nionlight » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:07 pm

tallyhoope wrote:I have an ILR in the UK and want to apply for British citizenship soon, I won't be able to apply before the Oct 28 deadline and was just wondering what the equivalents/alternatives for the now mandatory English tests at B1 CEFR level or higher are, the equivalents weren't even listed, talk about Immigration's Organization!!! I have an IELTS certificate with an overall score 8.0, minimum score 7.0 from just over a year ago. Is it good enough as an alternative/equivalent to exempt me from having to take this unnecessary and expensive English speaking and listening test. I have passed my Life in the UK though, passed that even before bagging my ILR in 2011. So i got that end covered, it's just ridiculous we have to do English tests before citizenship will be conferred, Any honest answers would be greatly appreciated!!! :)
Yes you are all good to go providing the fact that, you apply before 2 years of your ielts test 8)

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

See also, the approved test list.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

primaryracer
Newly Registered

similer english language requiremnet question

Post by primaryracer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 am

thank you so much for your swift response. I am in similar position and would be extremely grateful if you could help to expand on same question.

I came to UK in October 2004 and later got the HSMP in October in 2007.
My wife Joined me in the UK as Tier one Dependent in November 2010.
We both were granted ILR (She got on 2 Year rule) on 28th November 2012.

We am planning to apply for BC on 9th November or Later in that week. I completed 5 Year on HSMP+Tier 1 and 1 12 Months on ILR. She spent 2 Year as Tier 1 Dependent and 12 Months as on ILR. Hope this is OK?

Now i did my both (BSc & MSc) degrees from UK universities and exempt from English Language university.

She is a Doctor currently working in the UK. She appeared in IELTS test 3 time and finally did get the score (overall 8) to register with UK medical Council. However, this was more then three years ago and certificate now expired.

Does she still need this B1 CEFR or she can use her old IELTS certificate.
It is bit daft that someone who is working as a professional and who has already took the test have to do the whole thing again.

thanking you in advance for your assistance

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: similer english language requiremnet question

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:37 am

primaryracer wrote:We am planning to apply for BC on 9th November or Later in that week. I completed 5 Year on HSMP+Tier 1 and 1 12 Months on ILR. She spent 2 Year as Tier 1 Dependent and 12 Months as on ILR. Hope this is OK?
Your wife will need to wait.
See Q1 & Q2 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.
Now i did my both (BSc & MSc) degrees from UK universities and exempt from English Language university.

She is a Doctor currently working in the UK. She appeared in IELTS test 3 time and finally did get the score (overall 8) to register with UK medical Council. However, this was more then three years ago and certificate now expired.

Does she still need this B1 CEFR or she can use her old IELTS certificate.
It is bit daft that someone who is working as a professional and who has already took the test have to do the whole thing again.

thanking you in advance for your assistance
I would wait for the rules to be published but I suspect the HO would accept any test results even if expired.

primaryracer
Newly Registered

Post by primaryracer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 am

thank you yet again
Any ideas when HO would be publishing these rules?
Also do you know if she could apply with me at the same time for BC. i am bit confused re her eligibility.

i read this in FAQs.

Once a dependent is granted ILR, he/she is not a dependent any more. For naturalization, each applicant needs to meet the requirements (including the 5 years residence period). There is a reduced fee when applying together.

If one applicant meets the 5 years residence requirement but the spouse doesn't, then once the applicant is granted BC (after the citizenship ceremony), the spouse becomes a spouse of BC and can apply for naturalization under the 3 years residence requirements.

She only spent 3 Years (2 Year as Tier 1 Dependent and 1 on ILR) in the UK. Can she still apply for BC with me if her old IELTS certificate is accepted. Does the 28 Days apply to BC application as well or i have wait until the day its exactly 12 months from ILR date.

primaryracer
Newly Registered

Post by primaryracer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am

Apologies, please ignore my last post
you have already answered my question

laxani

Re: Is the IELTS a suitable equivalent of English at B1 CEFR

Post by laxani » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:58 pm

nionlight wrote:
tallyhoope wrote:I have an ILR in the UK and want to apply for British citizenship soon, I won't be able to apply before the Oct 28 deadline and was just wondering what the equivalents/alternatives for the now mandatory English tests at B1 CEFR level or higher are, the equivalents weren't even listed, talk about Immigration's Organization!!! I have an IELTS certificate with an overall score 8.0, minimum score 7.0 from just over a year ago. Is it good enough as an alternative/equivalent to exempt me from having to take this unnecessary and expensive English speaking and listening test. I have passed my Life in the UK though, passed that even before bagging my ILR in 2011. So i got that end covered, it's just ridiculous we have to do English tests before citizenship will be conferred, Any honest answers would be greatly appreciated!!! :)
Yes you are all good to go providing the fact that, you apply before 2 years of your ielts test 8)
Will a 10 year old IELTS. work? Thanks

laxani

Post by laxani » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 pm

This link says
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

Hence >2year old IELTS should suffice. Anybody can plase confirm this?
Thanks

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Laxani,

The latest AN guide says something totally different:

"• Your confirmation that you met this requirement, on or after 28th October 2013, in order to obtain settlement."

I am in the exact same boat as you, it certainly looks like we need to write IELTS or some such test soon.

REegards
Challenges make life worth it!

laxani

Post by laxani » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Contacted NCS who contacted HO -Old IELTS should be OK.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi Laxani,

Thanks for letting me know such a huge weight off my chest. But what would you mention in the new AN form, it does not have any option to mention that you are qualifying based on previously having qualified when applying for entry clearance. Would it be the first option as pasted below:
I have a speaking anf listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification
Did you confirm this with the NCS as well?

When are you due for naturalisation?

Regards

laxani

Post by laxani » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 am

NCS said that I have to discuss this during appointment but any old certificate ( e.g. IELTS) should be OK. I would just tick the box saying I have the certificate.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks Laxani, hope this works for us. One less thing to worry about before the application. Good luck for your application.

amit0277

Post by amit0277 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:52 am

laxani wrote:This link says
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

Hence >2year old IELTS should suffice. Anybody can plase confirm this?
Thanks
As per the new guidance the case worker will also check fo the validity of the certifcate. Unfortunately IELTS is only valid for 2 years.

Please refer page 13 on the following link.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Gurus please correct me if my understand is not correct.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:43 am

amit0277 wrote:As per the new guidance the case worker will also check fo the validity of the certifcate. Unfortunately IELTS is only valid for 2 years.

Please refer page 13 on the following link.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Gurus please correct me if my understand is not correct.
This guidance is for the Immigration rules (visas). It's not for naturalisation. I would think there is no need to show a valid test. If the required level has been met in the past (even if the certificate has now expired), that would be fine.

puma
Newly Registered

Post by puma » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Dear all

I am due to submit an application for naturalization myself and I am yet struggling to understand whether I should set again an IELTS or other equivalent level B1 CEFR test.

I was granted entry clearance back in 2007 when I apply for a HSMP permit; it turns in to a TIER 1 general visa and finally ILR. All the way through English ability was a requirement and always backed by my IELTS exam certificated, dated June 2007 with a score of 6 point mark on all skills. This is above the B1 CEFR level requirement but the guidance and Form AN are not very explicit, neither about exceptions for these type of migrants nor for English exam requirement meet already by previous applications. Thus I am nervous that if I send my application just with this IELTS certificate it may be rejected.

As some months have passed since few of you were discussing/about to submit your application for naturalization, I was wondering if you could give some more feedback on how it worked out at the end.

Thx
Puma