ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC certificate not required if PBS recognises degree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier_2_applicant

NARIC certificate not required if PBS recognises degree

Post by tier_2_applicant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

Hi,

I wrote a mail to HO to check if NARIC certificate is required even if PBS recognises the degree.

I am pasting the response below as I think it will be useful for many of us:

The points based calculator contains information about degrees that is regularly updated by UK NARIC, therefore applicants who obtained a degree overseas and who were awarded ten points for their level of English can submit evidence from the online points-based calculator, and provide the original certification of that degree, to demonstrate that they can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement. They will however still need to pass the Life in the UK test.

Applicants are awarded points for English when the calculator confirms that their degree:
∙ meets or exceeds the equivalent level to UK Bachelors degree; and
∙ was taught to a competent standard of English equivalent to level B1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).

It should be noted that the calculator will award points where a Tier 2 migrant has reached B1 level English (CEFR), whilst Tier 1 (General) migrants require the higher C1 level of English (CEFR). If a Tier 1 applicant’s degree is not recognised by the calculator as being at level C1, it will not award any points for English language assessment, even though the degree may be at the required level B1 (CEFR) for settlement or British citizenship applications.

Some applicant may be unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, therefore UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether their qualification satisfies the English language requirement. In these circumstances, they should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one, or select an alternative means of satisfying the English language requirement, such as an ESOL qualification.
It is important to note that UK NARIC are unable:
• to provide Statements of Comparability (SoC) or English language assessments (ELAs) for UK qualifications;
• to provide ELAs for degrees that are comparable to UK Master’s or PhD degrees;
• to comment on levels lower than CEFR C1 if their data says the degree’s level of English does not meet C1, or
• to combine an ELA with an SoC;

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Really useful , are you just taking print of online PBS result as a proof ?

Thanks

jsamad

Post by jsamad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Great, Thanks for sharing the info. I hope we dont need to get a letter from the university to say the degree was thought in english? do you think we still need that?

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

To be on the safe side I will take my degree, print out of PBS calculator and letter from university confirming that the course was taught in English.
Last edited by tier_2_applicant on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi, Me and My wife both are on ILR , she was on spouse of Tier1 Applicant visa before ILR , I can understand that if I produce the PBS calculator points and a letter from University should be enough for me as UKBA has been awarding me 35 points for my degree from the very first day. My question is as My wife got same degree , same course , same university and same year (we both were class fellows), Are these documents (I will get her letter from uni as well ) work for her naturalization as well or she have to do those stupid English courses.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Re: NARIC certificate not required if PBS recognises degree

Post by Rajuk09 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 pm

tier_2_applicant wrote:Hi,

I wrote a mail to HO to check if NARIC certificate is required even if PBS recognises the degree.

The points based calculator contains information about degrees that is regularly updated by UK NARIC, therefore applicants who obtained a degree overseas and who were awarded ten points for their level of English can submit evidence from the online points-based calculator, and provide the original certification of that degree, to demonstrate that they can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement. They will however still need to pass the Life in the UK test.

Applicants are awarded points for English when the calculator confirms that their degree:
∙ was taught to a competent standard of English equivalent to level B1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).

It should be noted that the calculator will award points where a Tier 2 migrant has reached B1 level English (CEFR), whilst Tier 1 (General) migrants require the higher C1 level of English (CEFR). If a Tier 1 applicant’s degree is not recognised by the calculator as being at level C1, it will not award any points for English language assessment, even though the degree may be at the required level B1 (CEFR) for settlement or British citizenship applications.

Some applicant may be unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, therefore UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether their qualification satisfies the English language requirement. In these circumstances, they should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one, or select an alternative means of satisfying the English language requirement, such as an ESOL qualification.
• to provide Statements of Comparability (SoC) or English language assessments (ELAs) for UK qualifications;
• to provide ELAs for degrees that are comparable to UK Master’s or PhD degrees;
• to comment on levels lower than CEFR C1 if their data says the degree’s level of English does not meet C1, or
Could you please paste the Email you sent and received from HO ? will help us to understand in details. Gurus .... so is this end of confusion on Language requirement atleast for Tier1s , Tier 2 , Work permits , HSMPs ?

bcan13
Newly Registered

Post by bcan13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:56 pm

tier_2_applicant wrote:Hi,

This is just what we have been looking for. Great work guys! Is it possible to get the email from you? If I give you my email could you please forward it to me?
Many thanks

Jhumbo
Newly Registered

Post by Jhumbo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm

[quote="tier_2_applicant"]Hi,

_______________________________________________________________[/quote]
Hi,

I got below response from HO having asked similar question:

Dear Sir,

Provided an applicant had been awarded 10 points on the points showing that their English language skill is at level B1 (CEFR) for their degree, they can submit a screen print of the calculator, together with the original degree certificate, as evidence to demonstrate that they have met the English language element of the KOLL requirement. They will also need to submit evidence that they have passed the Life in the UK test.

I trust this answers your question.

Regards

bcan13
Newly Registered

Post by bcan13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Awesome! This is getting better and better.

ken218

Post by ken218 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am

Wonder if NCS got the same info...

I don't want to go in with the print out and my degree cert, and they refuse to process my case.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:37 am

Hi Jhumbo, Just wanted to confirm m, in your email , did you mention it is for Naturalisation ? Wondering if HO understood your question for the right category ?
Raj

Jhumbo
Newly Registered

Post by Jhumbo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:Hi Jhumbo, Just wanted to confirm m, in your email , did you mention it is for Naturalisation ? Wondering if HO understood your question for the right category ?
Raj
Hi,

Yes I did mention it was for BC.
I have today received below follow up email from HO:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The points based calculator contains information about degrees that is regularly updated by UK NARIC, therefore applicants who obtained a degree overseas, for which the online points calculator has awarded ten points for English language skill, can submit evidence from the calculator, together with the original certification of that degree, to demonstrate that they have met the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement. They will however still need to pass the Life in the UK test.

Regards

lizrich002
Newly Registered

Post by lizrich002 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Jhumbo

Which email address did you send your enquiry to?

Thanks

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 pm

That's great news I must say.

I wonder why HO have yet to publish this information on their websites. This will help lots of us avoid this money-wasting venture of using UK NARIC to confirm our English language proficiency. Surely if it was their websites, I would have had that as proof to the NCS guys that I did not require UK NARIC verification. Now I have now begun English Language Assessment with UK NARIC, costing me £55 and having lost £83 of my booking with NCS Manchester.

Still good news though. I wish this would be published on their websites for the sake of people without access to this forum.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Still did not see any serniors or gurus reacting to this news ???? What we all talk here making any sense Gurus ?

ken218

Post by ken218 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:04 am

It is still the early stage of the new rule being applied, so no one knows exactly what is going on. I got the feeling there might even be different standards between case workers.

It looks more and more like I will just get the English test over and done with. Sigh...

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 am

OP can you please share the email id to which you sent ? so that every one send asking with the same question , they might change this rule in their website ? may be ? please do share

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 am

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Jhumbo wrote:
Rajuk09 wrote:Hi Jhumbo, Just wanted to confirm m, in your email , did you mention it is for Naturalisation ? Wondering if HO understood your question for the right category ?
Raj
Hi,

Dear Sir,

The points based calculator contains information about degrees that is regularly updated by UK NARIC, therefore applicants who obtained a degree overseas, for which the online points calculator has awarded ten points for English language skill, can submit evidence from the calculator, together with the original certification of that degree, to demonstrate that they have met the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement. They will however still need to pass the Life in the UK test.

Regards
Just a thought about these replies from HO , Hope you guys (OP and Jhumbo) got EC by either HSMP/T1/T2/Work permit and during those times (atleast after PBS norms) ,even during ILR Degree/Masters were checked, so why do HO needs Degree certificate again ? Replies seems still to be a vague answer ? for me :-(

n0mi
Newly Registered

Post by n0mi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 am

I am family member of EEA National. I was student before that so no PBS. I wish to apply for Naturalisation.
Knowledge of language and life in the UK:

I have passed the Life in the UK test.

I have a graduation degree from Pakistan ( Bs Computer Science). The qualification has been deemed by UK NARIC and meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s degree in the UK.

I have a letter from my College where i studied Bachelor degree that the qualification was taught and researched in English.

I would like to know if the documents above are sufficient to meet the KOLL requirement or do i need English Language Assessment statement from UK NARIC too.

If not then on AN form which options need to be marked?

•Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and

(i) an English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC
confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in English or

(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada)

I called home office on two different numbers both gave different reply. one said college letter is enough other said u need UK NARIC ELA. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jhumbo
Newly Registered

Post by Jhumbo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am

[quote="Rajuk09"][quote="Jhumbo"][quote="Rajuk09"]Hi Jhumbo, Just wanted to confirm m, in your email , did you mention it is for Naturalisation ? Wondering if HO understood your question for the right category ?
Raj[/quote]

Hi,

Dear Sir,

Regards[/quote]
Just a thought about these replies from HO , Hope you guys (OP and Jhumbo) got EC by either HSMP/T1/T2/Work permit and during those times (atleast after PBS norms) ,even during ILR Degree/Masters were checked, so why do HO needs Degree certificate again ? Replies seems still to be a vague answer ? for me :-([/quote]

Hi
Why not write HO and request for a more direct answers if you beleive the answers they've provided so far are vague and of no use.
HO email addresses have been provided somewhere on this thread and please remember to share with forum when you receive those direct answers.

Jhumbo

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Sure Jhumbo , I will do it . I was trying to help myself and everyone in thisw forum to think about this situation when you receive an answer for a PBS EC person. Logically these people would have submitted atleast twice in their journey to reach here ,Anyway when are you applying? Are you going with the PBS pirntout only ?
Or any one who is successful in doing so ? atleast NCS accepted it as proof ?

n0mi
Newly Registered

Post by n0mi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I am family member of EEA National. I was student before that so no PBS. I wish to apply for Naturalisation.
Knowledge of language and life in the UK:

I have passed the Life in the UK test.

I have a graduation degree from Pakistan ( Bs Computer Science). The qualification has been deemed by UK NARIC and meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s degree in the UK.

I have a letter from my College where i studied Bachelor degree that the qualification was taught and researched in English.

I would like to know if the documents above are sufficient to meet the KOLL requirement or do i need English Language Assessment statement from UK NARIC too.

If not then on AN form which options need to be marked?

•Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and

(i) an English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC
confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in English or

(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada)

I called home office on two different numbers both gave different reply. one said college letter is enough other said u need UK NARIC ELA.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 am

Jsut wondering did anyone get away with NCS showing PBS calculator printouts ? Or any new emails from UKBA ? I am still waiting to receive a reply.

n0mi
Newly Registered

Post by n0mi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Had a reply frmo UKBA today:

KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE AND LIFE IN THE UK REQUIREMEN

Qualifications Fact Sheet

Thank you for your enquiry to our Inbox. This sheet gives information about English language qualifications that can be used for the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirement. Further information can be found on our website, which we will update to provide information about frequently asked questions: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ypes/natur alisation/kol/.

If your query can be answered by the information below we will not reply directly.

English language tests

1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?

We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should be at B1 CEFR level or above and be on the attached list.

If you are not sure if your qualification is one of those on the list, you may wish to contact the college where you studied.

2. Do I need to pass all parts of the qualification?

Some of the qualifications which we accept include speaking and listening as part of a wider qualification which also covers reading and writing skills, but other qualifications are available which concentrate on speaking and listening skills only. Those who are unable to demonstrate all 4 communicative skills are advised to study for a qualification that concentrates on speaking and listening skills only. We will accept a pass certificate for one of the tests on the list. We will not look at scores for each part of the test.

3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?

The expiry dates on that list do not apply to settlement or citizenship applications. If your test is on the attached list it will be acceptable.

4. I sent my documents for a previous application. Do I need to send them again?

Yes. Evidence that an English language requirement was met for entry clearance purposes is only held by the post abroad for a limited period. In addition, this information is not easily accessible to caseworkers in the UK. You should therefore send evidence of your qualification with your application.

Degree Qualifications

5. Will my degree meet the requirement?

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:

- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or

- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).

You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). Details of how to contact UK NARIC can be found at: http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Contact%20Us.aspx

ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES

The following are classed as English speaking countries for the KoLL requirement:

Antigua and Barbuda Guyana

Australia Jamaica

The Bahamas New Zealand

Barbados St Kitts and Nevis

Belize St Lucia

Canada St Vincent and the Grenadines

Dominica Trinidad and Tobago

Grenada The United States of America

The Republic of Ireland is also included for citizenship applications.

RECOGNISED ENGLISH TESTS AND QUALIFICATIONS AT A LEVEL

EQUIVALENT TO LEVEL B1 CEFR OR ABOVE

Awarding body Specified English language test or qualification

Cambridge English

(previously known as

Cambridge ESOL)

Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) Online Test (Certificated version)

Cambridge English: Key (also known as Key English Test)

Cambridge English: Preliminary (also known as Preliminary English Test)

Cambridge English: First (also known as First Certificate in English)

Cambridge English: Advanced (also known as Certificate in Advanced English)

Cambridge English: Proficiency (also known as Certificate of Proficiency in English)

Cambridge English: Business Preliminary (also known as Business English Certificate Preliminary)

Cambridge English: Business Vantage (also known as Business English Certificate Vantage)

Cambridge English: Business Higher (also known as Business English Certificate Higher)

Cambridge English: Legal (also known as International Legal English Certificate)

Cambridge English: Financial (also known as International Legal English Certificate)

ESOL Skills for Life at Entry level 3, level 1 or level 2

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

Cambridge International Examinations

Cambridge IGCSE: English as a First Language

Cambridge IGCSE: English as a Second Language

City and Guilds City and Guilds International ESOL (IESOL) Diploma

Educational Testing Service

Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT)

Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)

Pearson Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

Trinity College London ESOL Skills for Life at Entry level 3, level 1 or level 2

Integrated Skills in English