ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

do OCI/PIO require renewal for minor when renewing passport?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xyz123

do OCI/PIO require renewal for minor when renewing passport?

Post by xyz123 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:25 am

hi

as per title, i saw somewhere on this forum where someone mentioned OCI needs to be renewed when minor passport is renewed.

Can someone please confirm either way and if possible provide a link to relevant rules.

does similar apply to PIO?

ta

Seedy
Newly Registered

Post by Seedy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:11 am

No need to renew the PIO/OCI card. However you MUST keep the old expired passport with you as the PIO/OCI card has the old passport number.

If you wish to renew PIO/OCI you may via HCI London's Miscellaneous Services

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:59 pm

can any mods confirm this? there are differing posts on the forum

ta

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:01 pm

See "new passport" PIO vs OCI comparison here -

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

Not sure if fresh application (£175) has to be made or can be done via misc OCI services.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:21 pm

OCI certificate needs to renewed each time a passport is reissued upto 20 years of age and once after 50 year. A lot of MHA OCI related links are not working but take a look at FAQ 35A
This can be done through OCI misc services.

Seedy
Newly Registered

Post by Seedy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 pm

My mother renewed her passport last year and she has not changed her oci card. You just have to carry the old passport with the life long sticker in it.

Check FAQ no 12
http://hcilondon.in/oci.html

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 pm

ban.s wrote:OCI certificate needs to renewed each time a passport is reissued upto 20 years of age and once after 50 year. A lot of MHA OCI related links are not working but take a look at FAQ 35A
Then is it better to simply get multi year visa or pio for minors, as long as no very long term visits are planned.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Seedy wrote:My mother renewed her passport last year and she has not changed her oci card. You just have to carry the old passport with the life long sticker in it.

Check FAQ no 12
That's typical Indian system. One consulate says different than another. HCI London OCI email address is also not working so one can ask for clarifications

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Seedy wrote:My mother renewed her passport last year and she has not changed her oci card. You just have to carry the old passport with the life long sticker in it.

Check FAQ no 12
what is her age? and when did she first obtain her OCI?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm

xyz123 wrote:
ban.s wrote:OCI certificate needs to renewed each time a passport is reissued upto 20 years of age and once after 50 year. A lot of MHA OCI related links are not working but take a look at FAQ 35A
Then is it better to simply get multi year visa or pio for minors, as long as no very long term visits are planned.
with a PIO minor can stay long term as well.

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am

What is better, OCi, PIO or 5 year visa ?
Like with many things, the simple answer is it depends.

I started a thread last month with the focus that PIO is better for minors.
ban.s suggested that even with PIO, it is "recommended" to transfer the PIO to new passport.

So if OCI for minors can be transferred via misc services, I think OCI is better.
•£18.00 (£16+£2) for changing any details in the card and transferring visa to the New Passport.

For me, after 5 years, it gives the option to get Indian citizenship back by staying in India for just one year.
With PIO, you have to stay in India for 7 years before getting Indian citizenship.

In all probability, one many not take Indian citizenship back but always good to have option open.

Maybe one wants to return back and education for kids being British citizens is very expensive.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 am

tusharagrawal wrote:What is better, OCi, PIO or 5 year visa ?

I started a thread last month with the focus that PIO is better for minors.
ban.s suggested that even with PIO, it is "recommended" to transfer the PIO to new passport.

So if OCI for minors can be transferred via misc services, I think OCI is better.
•£18.00 (£16+£2) for changing any details in the card and transferring visa to the New Passport.

For me, after 5 years, it gives the option to get Indian citizenship back by staying in India for just one year.
With PIO, you have to stay in India for 7 years before getting Indian citizenship.

In all probability, one many not take Indian citizenship back but always good to have option open.

Maybe one wants to return back and education for kids being British citizens is very expensive.
Is it confirmed that it only costs £18 to transfer the OCI. they keep using term "reissue" . Yeah oci is better that u get Indian citizenship earlier but one can convert pio to oci at any time. And don't forget that u have to se d British passport to Indian embassy every 5 years with oci renewal.

I will try to find d ur old thread.

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:22 pm

old thread -
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=144835

You are right - they use the word "reissue", so would be nice if someone who knows can confirm.

But even if its £175 every 5 years, its not to bad I think.

Yes, you can convert PIO to OCI at any point, but will have to wait for 5 years from that point.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm

tusharagrawal wrote:What is better, OCi, PIO or 5 year visa ?
fully agree - 'better'/ 'best' options are all relative and depend on an individual's circumstances, priorities and lot of other factors.

tusharagrawal

Post by tusharagrawal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am

tusharagrawal wrote:old thread -
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=144835

You are right - they use the word "reissue", so would be nice if someone who knows can confirm.

But even if its £175 every 5 years, its not to bad I think.

Yes, you can convert PIO to OCI at any point, but will have to wait for 5 years from that point.
I applied for OCI today morning.
I asked the officer at the counter about OCI when I renew my sons passport after 5 years.
She said that OCI would have to be reissued via misc service.
Hope this is correct!!