ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Approved citizenship then cancelled within 2 weeks!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kaataak13
Newly Registered

Approved citizenship then cancelled within 2 weeks!

Post by kaataak13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi,
I applied for citizenship at the end of September and got it approved at the end of October. I booked my citizenship ceremony for 15th January (within 3 months from approval) and then got a phone call two days later from the citizenship office saying that my ceremony was cancelled as my home office requested the return of my documents. The office said that they can't help me and I have to contact Home office but none of the numbers allow me to speak to a person and can only email... What is that about? has that happened to anyone else? How can they approve my citizenship and then within 3 weeks cancel it again. I did not get into any trouble with police or anything so I really don't get it. I should add that I am EU citizen living here since June 2006 and my application was sent via Nationality Checking Service who told me that I meet all the criteria and should not have any problems... They even made me wait two months to make sure that everything matches (they didn't want to accept my payslip for September and WRS registration as a proof of employment in August so I had to wait until I had payslips from August and September from another employer!).

Thanks for your help
Last edited by kaataak13 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eirikur
Netherlands

Post by Eirikur » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:39 pm

This sounds scary, as they don't want tog ive you any explanation whatsoever, I would advise you to contact a immigration sollicitor as soon as possible

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm

As long as you have the acceptance letter from the Home Office I would not jump straight into the pocket of an immigration solicitor.
Send an email or letter (read receipt or recorded delivery) asking for an explanation without delay.
The ceremony has to be within the required period but if it is a Home Office mistake it needs to be sorted by them.
Without an explanation a solicitor is going to do the same as you can but charge lots of money for it.
Make sure you keep copies of everything.
Sounds pretty odd to me!

kaataak13
Newly Registered

Post by kaataak13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:49 pm

bob-russell wrote:As long as you have the acceptance letter from the Home Office I would not jump straight into the pocket of an immigration solicitor.
Send an email or letter (read receipt or recorded delivery) asking for an explanation without delay.
The ceremony has to be within the required period but if it is a Home Office mistake it needs to be sorted by them.
Without an explanation a solicitor is going to do the same as you can but charge lots of money for it.
Make sure you keep copies of everything.
Sounds pretty odd to me!
That's why I am still in a bit of a shock of what happened. I have kept the voicemail from the citizenship office and sent an email to both UKBA and Home office. I guess I will have to wait and see if anything comes through the letterbox with some explanation. I find it weird that they requested the citizenship office to return the certificate, yet nobody has bothered contacting me despite the office having my contact details.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:10 pm

It may have been that the decision maker has made some mistakes and his/her cases are being recalled and checked again. I wouldn't worry.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kaataak13
Newly Registered

Post by kaataak13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:14 pm

D4109125 wrote:It may have been that the decision maker has made some mistakes and his/her cases are being recalled and checked again. I wouldn't worry.
Fair enough but in that case they would have had all my document on their file for them to review which I am waiting for my ceremony. Then if it doesn't match (which would be worrying) then they should let me know and request the certificate to be sent back.. at the end of the way it's still two months before I was going to attend it

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 pm

If they suspected an error it would be usual for them to request everything to be returned. You should email ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk and ask for an explanation.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kaataak13
Newly Registered

Post by kaataak13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks. I have emailed them and nationalityprogress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk hopefully at least one of them will let me know what is happening

freedom34

Post by freedom34 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm

kaataak13 wrote:Thanks. I have emailed them and nationalityprogress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk hopefully at least one of them will let me know what is happening
Any update about this horrible situation that happened to you?

kaataak13
Newly Registered

Post by kaataak13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 pm

I emailed home office and got a reply saying that they are dealing with my case. No explanation, no timeframes, nothing...

freedom34

Post by freedom34 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I hope they solve this problem and send you approval letter very soon then you can have your ceremony. Be patient and good luck to you my friend.

kaataak13
Newly Registered

Post by kaataak13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 pm

freedom34 wrote:I hope they solve this problem and send you approval letter very soon then you can have your ceremony. Be patient and good luck to you my friend.
Thank you. I am waiting for the postman by the door everyday :) hopefully it won't take long. Will post update