ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK NARIC Assessment of B.Sc Chemical Engineering from UET PK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

iqhamid
Newly Registered

Post by iqhamid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi,

In the process of getting English evaluation for my B.Sc Chemical Engineering degree from UET Lahore, Pakistan, I am shocked to see that the degree was assessed comparable to GCE Advanced Level / Scottish Advanced Higher standard. I was expecting to have the degree comparable to British Bachelor (Honours) standard. I am now very disturbed and going to challenge UK NARIC assessment. I would like to request help from this forum for provision of references that I could include in favour of my stance. Please Help.

Thanks and kind regards,
iqhamid

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Unfortunately, it must be deemed to be equivalent to a UK Bachelor, Masters or PhD.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

go-fish
Newly Registered

Re: UK NARIC Assessment of B.Sc Chemical Engineering from UE

Post by go-fish » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 pm

iqhamid wrote:Hi,

In the process of getting English evaluation for my B.Sc Chemical Engineering degree from UET Lahore, Pakistan, I am shocked to see that the degree was assessed comparable to GCE Advanced Level / Scottish Advanced Higher standard. I was expecting to have the degree comparable to British Bachelor (Honours) standard. I am now very disturbed and going to challenge UK NARIC assessment. I would like to request help from this forum for provision of references that I could include in favour of my stance. Please Help.

Thanks and kind regards,
iqhamid

Does PBC award 30 points for it. Check yourself at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:58 pm

iqhamid wrote:Hi,

Thanks and kind regards,
iqhamid
Exactly How do you plan to challenge UK Naric?

iqhamid
Newly Registered

Post by iqhamid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for your response. I got 30 points when applied for Tier-1 General and ILR. Now I am looking forward to British Citizenship. To meet the new English language requirements I decided to get the degree and language assessment from Naric and got this surprise. I have faxed to Naric for reassessment of my case explaining the course duration of 4 years and admission criteria of F.Sc (pre-engineering) which requires 12 years of education. Engineering degree in total requires study of 12+4=16 years, which is the same as required by British Graduation 13+3=16 years. I have also described that B.Sc in Engineering diciplines from UET Lahore has been assessed comparable to British Bachelor degree standard by UK Naric. All top UK universities accept this degree as equivalent to British Bachelor degree as well. Please let me know if you think additional points to be included.

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Iqhamid, sorry to hear that.

Did you check in the UKBA points calculator? It seems to consider an Engineering Bachelors degree from UET Pakistan equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree. As per the Tier 1 and Tier 2 guidance forms, the data in the points calculator is from the NARIC database. I wonder why there is this discrepancy then.

The points calculator, however, does not seem to give points for English Language for this specific course. It could be because they haven't assessed the course or because they do not consider it to be equal to C1.

(Please verify, I could be wrong)

For your initial Tier 1 or HSMP application which led to your ILR, did you use a letter from your university to prove your English language skills or did you pass an English language test?

iqhamid
Newly Registered

Post by iqhamid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi all,

Thanks you very much for all of you who participated in the discussion. Today I received the result of my re-assessment request. UK Naric has accepted the error and they appologised for it. Now they have assessed the B.Sc Chemical Engineering from UET, Lahore comparable to British Bachelor degree standard. They attributed the error to human factor and expressed disappointment for failure in detecting the error during cross checking. Anyway, the main thing is that they have corrected the error.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:51 am

iqhamid wrote:Hi all,

Thanks you very much for all of you who participated in the discussion. Today I received the result of my re-assessment request. UK Naric has accepted the error and they appologised for it. Now they have assessed the B.Sc Chemical Engineering from UET, Lahore comparable to British Bachelor degree standard. They attributed the error to human factor and expressed disappointment for failure in detecting the error during cross checking. Anyway, the main thing is that they have corrected the error.
Congrats! Question is, does it give you 10 points for English Language? If not, then it won't be enough I'm afraid.
Goodluck.

navalaviator
Member of Standing

Post by navalaviator » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 am

By the way 12 years of education certificate from Pakistan which is called HSSC(Higher Secondary School Certificate) is NOT equivalent to the UK A-levels either and is same as UK GCSE. :roll:

ilrupdates
Member of Standing

Post by ilrupdates » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 am

Hi dear iqhamid,
could you please confirm me whether NARIC office confirmed your degree as a substitute of English level B1 which is required by ukba for naturalisation application?

During my Initial HSMP application from Pakistan in 2008, I provided a letter issued by my university confirming that my professional degree was taught completely in English and that letter was accepted along with my TOEFL Certificate.

Do I need to pass any English test at level B1 for my Naturalisation application which is due in March 2014 OR the previous letter and TOEFL Certificate will suffice (although TOEFL Certificate automatically expires after two years)
Disclaimer: I am neither an immigration lawyer nor an OISC qualified/registered member. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:32 pm

ilrupdates wrote:Hi dear iqhamid,
could you please confirm me whether NARIC office confirmed your degree as a substitute of English level B1 which is required by ukba for naturalisation application?

During my Initial HSMP application from Pakistan in 2008, I provided a letter issued by my university confirming that my professional degree was taught completely in English and that letter was accepted along with my TOEFL Certificate.

Do I need to pass any English test at level B1 for my Naturalisation application which is due in March 2014 OR the previous letter and TOEFL Certificate will suffice (although TOEFL Certificate automatically expires after two years)
If your degree gets you 10 points on Points based calculator for English then you can use that degree.
Even if it doesn't give you 10 points, you can always use your TOEFL. That alone should be enough.
Goodluck.

engrwaq
Newly Registered

Post by engrwaq » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Hello Iqbal

I have a similar case. My degree is evaluated as B1 by NARIC where as I need level C1 for tier 1 ILR settlement. Can you please advise what level you were given on re-Assessment and how did you manage to get this done from NARIC. please advise as I really don't want to go through the tests like IELTS just to get level C1

Many thanks