ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Change Of Name Certificate

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sense
Newly Registered

OCI Change Of Name Certificate

Post by sense » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello All,

I acquire Brutish Citizenship after completing my Tier 1 qualifying period.

Since UK doesn't have a formal policy to change the name; A self made deed with 2 witness is all that require to legally change your name; so do I follow it and got a British passport with my new name (It is a single character changed in my surname). Having said my surrender certificate still got the old name.

I'm looking to apply for my OCI card which apparently required a document : Change of name/appearance affidavit by Consular Section of High Commission of India, London/Notary Public/Oath Commissioner.

I think I have to visit HCILondon to get change of name deed affidavit by "Consular Section of High Commission of India" and put my OCI application same day (wonder if it is possible to do it).

This is HCILondon page regarding this - http://hcilondon.in/fees.html doesn't mention if it will be done same time to let me submit my OCI afterwards and which section it falls under (how much is the fee).

Looks like a task to me; I wonder if anyone have been in a similar situation and what they did.

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Re: OCI Change Of Name Certificate

Post by jacsll55 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

sense wrote:Hello All,

I acquire Brutish Citizenship after completing my Tier 1 qualifying period.

Since UK doesn't have a formal policy to change the name; A self made deed with 2 witness is all that require to legally change your name; so do I follow it and got a British passport with my new name (It is a single character changed in my surname). Having said my surrender certificate still got the old name.

I'm looking to apply for my OCI card which apparently required a document : Change of name/appearance affidavit by Consular Section of High Commission of India, London/Notary Public/Oath Commissioner.

I think I have to visit HCILondon to get change of name deed affidavit by "Consular Section of High Commission of India" and put my OCI application same day (wonder if it is possible to do it).

This is HCILondon page regarding this - http://hcilondon.in/fees.html doesn't mention if it will be done same time to let me submit my OCI afterwards and which section it falls under (how much is the fee).

Looks like a task to me; I wonder if anyone have been in a similar situation and what they did.
SENSE
Have you managed to get this done?
I am stuck in the same situation as I changed name (dropped my middle name) after naturalisation and got British passport in new name - surrendered Indian passport and as they say the surrender certificate in old name.
Now I want to apply for OCI and am stuck at this
Change of name/appearance affidavit by Consular Section of High Commission of India, London/Notary Public/Oath Commissioner.

Did you visit HCI any hope?

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

You can just get an official looking deed poll from 100s of services online (I had used http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk) and get it signed by any oath commissioner (they shouldn't charge more than £7 for this).

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by jacsll55 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:54 pm

lifofifo wrote:You can just get an official looking deed poll from 100s of services online (I had used http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk) and get it signed by any oath commissioner (they shouldn't charge more than £7 for this).
Thank you for the response - I cannot find any Commissioner of oaths in my area. I have a deed poll (used for British Passport)
See below the reply I got from VFS re: entry visa
As per the details provided, along with all the documentation both for Surrender application and Visa submission a name change deed poll would be required to avoid delays on the submission to be made.

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Maybe search for solicitors at http://www.yelp.co.uk/ for your post code. There are plenty of them all around!

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Deed poll signed by an oath commissioner is sufficient for the OCI btw. I had done it recently and there were no issues with the submission.

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by jacsll55 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:26 pm

lifofifo wrote:Deed poll signed by an oath commissioner is sufficient for the OCI btw. I had done it recently and there were no issues with the submission.
Thank you, at last I have managed to find a solicitor who is willing to do for £8 (all others are asking for a fee @£70p/h)!

So do I take a blank deed poll or the one I used for British passport (it has been witnessed by a friend)?

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 pm

jacsll55 wrote:So do I take a blank deed poll or the one I used for British passport (it has been witnessed by a friend)?
A blank one! Be sure to take a photo id as well (passport, license etc.) as the solicitor may ask for it to confirm your identity. It's also a good idea to get 2-3 deed polls signed by the solicitor, just in case.

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by jacsll55 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:57 pm

lifofifo wrote:
jacsll55 wrote:So do I take a blank deed poll or the one I used for British passport (it has been witnessed by a friend)?
A blank one! Be sure to take a photo id as well (passport, license etc.) as the solicitor may ask for it to confirm your identity. It's also a good idea to get 2-3 deed polls signed by the solicitor, just in case.
So does HCI need a copy or the original? don't they just return the original?

lifofifo

Post by lifofifo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah, they want copies. But the online deed poll that I had ordered said "Copies of this documents are not valid". So I just took an original, wrote "True Copy" on it and signed/dated it. That was accepted without any issues.

InUkOnHsmp

Re: OCI Change Of Name Certificate

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Forum members, I have taken out 10 copies of deed polls for my wife using the site mentioned, and got 5 witnessed by my manager at work. Can I get the other 5 witnessed by an oath commissioner?

The docs received from the deed poll site say all copies should be witnessed by the same witness, I dont see why!
Challenges make life worth it!

visaforv10

Re:

Post by visaforv10 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:36 pm

lifofifo wrote:You can just get an official looking deed poll from 100s of services online (I had used http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk) and get it signed by any oath commissioner (they shouldn't charge more than £7 for this).
Was anyone successful in changing the name for OCI by using the method stated above? I have applied for copies using above websites and going to find a local oath comissioner, but was wondering if HCI had any issues with this method?

Thanks