ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Eligibility

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

circle
Newly Registered

Passport Eligibility

Post by circle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 am

I'm a little confused after reading the government websites about this, so I thought I'd ask here...

My father was born in Scotland (British national or citizen? I'm not sure) and my mother is an Irish citizen. Both moved here to Australia where I was born. I have an Irish passport. I've just had a son of my own and my father seems to think he will be able to get a British passport (or an Irish one).

Is that true? Is my son eligible for a British passport?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

See also:

British.

Irish.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 am

See if this Flow Chart help you solve the riddle. Also read through BNA Act
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:34 pm

So, on the face of it, it seems that child is neither British nor Irish, hence not entitled to British or Irish passports.

It appears that there is no entitlement for the child to be registered as British Citizen.

It appears that the child can be registered as Irish Citizen. Copying the info from the link provided by vinny.

If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born outside Ireland, and any of your grandparents were born in Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen, and can do so by having your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register maintained by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs. You can do this by applying to your nearest Irish embassy or consular office. A list of these is available on the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs at www.dfa.ie. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Circle have you ever lived in the UK or other qualifying territory?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 pm

What would be regarded as qualifying territory in his case?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 am

Qualifying territories are the British overseas territories that qualify under certain sections of the nationality rules. They are all of the British overseas territories except for the sovereign base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.