ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Visa while waiting for OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

coolmate
Newly Registered

Applying for Visa while waiting for OCI

Post by coolmate » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 pm

this situation applies If you are travelling in the near future and still haven't received your OCI.
You have British Passport and have surrendered your Indian Passport.
According the VFS website - its seems prudent to apply for Tourist Visa which costs around £94.
However - VFS office has confirmed that you can actually apply for a ENTRY VISA which will cost £67. if you have the necessary documentation. i.e. surrender certificate, revoked Indian passport,etc. if you have already printed off the tourist visa form - you would still be able to use the same - as long as you mention it to the VFS personell at the counter.

You can save some money and enjoy the same or more benefits as a tourist visa.

Further Notes: An X visa used to be issued to people who didn't clearly fall into any of the other categories of visa applicants (such as volunteers). However, as of mid 2010, an X visa is only available to the following people:
•A foreigner of Indian origin.
•Spouse and children of a foreigner of Indian origin or Indian citizen.
•Spouse and dependent children of a foreigner coming to India on any other long term visa, such as an Employment visa or Business visa.

Unlike Tourist visas, X visas are not subject to the two month gap. Therefore, people of Indian origin should apply for one of these visas when visiting India. It's not possible to work in India on an X visa. However, X visas can be extended in India, and there's no need to leave every six months.

rambharose
Newly Registered

Post by rambharose » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Where did you find this information? FAQ's on Entry visa still says as below, so it is still not available for British passport holder ?

Can I get a visa on arrival to enter India?

You can obtain "Tourist Visa-on-Arrival“ valid for 30 days for citizens of five countries viz. Finland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand and Singapore only. Other passport holders must obtain a visa before taking a flight to India. You cannot obtain a visa on arrival in India, and immigration authorities will not permit any foreigner to enter the country.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 pm

rambharose wrote:Where did you find this information? FAQ's on Entry visa still says as below, so it is still not available for British passport holder ?
Entry (X) visa is different from visa on arrival.

rambharose
Newly Registered

Post by rambharose » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 am

Ah OK.. thank you ban.s
ban.s wrote:
rambharose wrote:Where did you find this information? FAQ's on Entry visa still says as below, so it is still not available for British passport holder ?
Entry (X) visa is different from visa on arrival.

coolmate
Newly Registered

Post by coolmate » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 am

As mentioned on the post _-source of this is from the VFS office London. The information on the VFS website isnt that helpful. Nevertheless if you Google it you can get more on this.Also, the timelines are very short. Received the visa in very short time. Applied on thu and received on Monday. Hope that helps.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 am

cool mate
thanks for information.
currently i am waiting for my oci and i have no hope i get it before my travel. so decided to apply for visitor visa.
couple of questions.
1. which visa cateogary i need to select while filling online application?
2.what documents i need to submit?
3. is original surrender certificate enough or they need original cancelled indian passport as well?
4. do i need to tell them specifically i need x visa?
thanks

coolmate
Newly Registered

Post by coolmate » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Infact you asked quadruple instead of a couple. :-)
Also, this topic would be irrelevant if you have already applied for a Tourist Visa(Visitor Visa) . Dont think that you would receive a refund or make any amendments.

Here are the answers to your queries.:

1. which visa cateogary i need to select while filling online application?
A: Entry Visa

2.what documents i need to submit?
A. Application form, declaration , two photos, Copy of revoked indian passport, copy of surrender certificate, copy of BP. consent form( if applying for a child)
You can refer the VFS website and check for Tourist Visa docs.

3. is original surrender certificate enough or they need original cancelled indian passport as well?
A. As above.

4. do i need to tell them specifically i need x visa?
A. Its called Entry Visa.
(It is marked as "X" in VISA TYPE column in your visa when you receive it)
If you are applying in person - the person in the counter would be aware of it already.

P.S. When i went to the counter - i had filled the Tourist Visa form and it was readily accepted for Entry Visa. Guessing its a generic form.

thanks

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 pm

thanks cool mate

i am applying this Friday, your replies are highly valuable, it looks like you saved me at least 30 quid. I Don't live in London and my travel is on 5th December. do you think i can get the visa if i apply in person and ask them to post my passport through next day delivery?

coolmate
Newly Registered

Post by coolmate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:28 am

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by jacsll55 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Can someone shed some light please:
Visa to India - VFS says if
For Minor Child (Under 16 Years of age)

A copy of the child’s birth certificate showing both the parents names.
Consent letter addressed to the HCI, London OR its respective consulates signed by both the parents.
Do they need BC and consent letter for Minors whose previous nationality was Indian? and applying alongwith parents application? what are the wordings of the letter?

Dealing with Indian embassy is more stressful and complicated!