ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired IELTS and its use to meet the B1 requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

humanvoid

Expired IELTS and its use to meet the B1 requirement

Post by humanvoid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am

Hi folks,

Just came across the reply under FOI from UKBA regarding expired IELTS acceptance and seems like they are fine with that:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/settlement_ielts

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks for pointing this out, I might actually take a printout of this to my NCS appointment.
Challenges make life worth it!

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Just for reassurance, posting response from UKBA received today:

"Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date."

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks Humanvoid (like your name :)).

I have emailed the UKBA couple of times too, unfortunately, they havent responded to me on my email address, so I will try to make do at the NCS with these printouts.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:53 pm

rubina20102010 wrote:Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.
Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards
Mrs R Martin
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:54 pm

D4109125 wrote:
rubina20102010 wrote:Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.
Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards
Mrs R Martin
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.
Got the same reply, this clears things up.
Goodluck.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Guys, can someone please provide me the email ID they are emailing to where they are getting these responses from?

I have tried several, but am yet to get a response.

rubina20102010
Member of Standing

Post by rubina20102010 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:50 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Guys, can someone please provide me the email ID they are emailing to where they are getting these responses from?

I have tried several, but am yet to get a response.
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks rubina20102010.

n0mi
Newly Registered

Post by n0mi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I just had a reply from UKBA:

KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE AND LIFE IN THE UK REQUIREMENT

Qualifications Fact Sheet

Thank you for your enquiry to our Inbox. This sheet gives information about English language qualifications that can be used for the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirement. Further information can be found on our website, which we will update to provide information about frequently asked questions: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ypes/natur alisation/kol/.

If your query can be answered by the information below we will not reply directly.

English language tests

1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?

We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should be at B1 CEFR level or above and be on the attached list.

If you are not sure if your qualification is one of those on the list, you may wish to contact the college where you studied.

2. Do I need to pass all parts of the qualification?

Some of the qualifications which we accept include speaking and listening as part of a wider qualification which also covers reading and writing skills, but other qualifications are available which concentrate on speaking and listening skills only. Those who are unable to demonstrate all 4 communicative skills are advised to study for a qualification that concentrates on speaking and listening skills only. We will accept a pass certificate for one of the tests on the list. We will not look at scores for each part of the test.

3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?

The expiry dates on that list do not apply to settlement or citizenship applications. If your test is on the attached list it will be acceptable.

4. I sent my documents for a previous application. Do I need to send them again?

Yes. Evidence that an English language requirement was met for entry clearance purposes is only held by the post abroad for a limited period. In addition, this information is not easily accessible to caseworkers in the UK. You should therefore send evidence of your qualification with your application.

Degree Qualifications

5. Will my degree meet the requirement?

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:

- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or

- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).

You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). Details of how to contact UK NARIC can be found at: http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Contact%20Us.aspx

ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES

The following are classed as English speaking countries for the KoLL requirement:

Antigua and Barbuda Guyana

Australia Jamaica

The Bahamas New Zealand

Barbados St Kitts and Nevis

Belize St Lucia

Canada St Vincent and the Grenadines

Dominica Trinidad and Tobago

Grenada The United States of America

The Republic of Ireland is also included for citizenship applications.

RECOGNISED ENGLISH TESTS AND QUALIFICATIONS AT A LEVEL

EQUIVALENT TO LEVEL B1 CEFR OR ABOVE

Awarding body Specified English language test or qualification

Cambridge English

(previously known as

Cambridge ESOL)

Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) Online Test (Certificated version)

Cambridge English: Key (also known as Key English Test)

Cambridge English: Preliminary (also known as Preliminary English Test)

Cambridge English: First (also known as First Certificate in English)

Cambridge English: Advanced (also known as Certificate in Advanced English)

Cambridge English: Proficiency (also known as Certificate of Proficiency in English)

Cambridge English: Business Preliminary (also known as Business English Certificate Preliminary)

Cambridge English: Business Vantage (also known as Business English Certificate Vantage)

Cambridge English: Business Higher (also known as Business English Certificate Higher)

Cambridge English: Legal (also known as International Legal English Certificate)

Cambridge English: Financial (also known as International Legal English Certificate)

ESOL Skills for Life at Entry level 3, level 1 or level 2

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

Cambridge International Examinations

Cambridge IGCSE: English as a First Language

Cambridge IGCSE: English as a Second Language

City and Guilds City and Guilds International ESOL (IESOL) Diploma

Educational Testing Service

Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT)

Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)

Pearson Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

Trinity College London ESOL Skills for Life at Entry level 3, level 1 or level 2

Integrated Skills in English

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 am

Got the exact same response in my email this morning, thanks for the help folks!

matiq

Post by matiq » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

I emailed UKBA Nationality help desk and got typical answer as above...

I have now emailed FOI and Public Enquiry offices of UKBA as well and expect more specific reply as "rubina20102010" had above. I believe only such direct reply shall be accepted by NCS.

Following statement (at following link) is not clear in terms if someone gets entry clearance after 28th Oct 2013 only he/she does not need to further prove English (CEFR) B1 level again at naturalization stage OR is it true if someone got entry clearance 5/6 years ago.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk
-
If you already have a qualification at B1 level

Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.
-

NCS people are giving typical answer that do the test OR give NARIC English cert .... I wonder PRINT above URL to show above statement OR what???

Any shinning ideas will be great!

Thanks

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:34 pm

I spoke to them, they clearly said that unless your IELTS used in the past for any visa clearance, it's not valid after two years. It says on the website as well,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

When you just need to score 4 band, it's so easy !

why would you risk your whole application of such stupid thing :

dadageer
Mood:

Post by dadageer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:44 pm

humanvoid wrote:Just for reassurance, posting response from UKBA received today:

"Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date."
This really is insane! Home office should make things clear at first place instead of causing all sorts of confusion!

I had my IELTS band 8.0 overall (which is above C1) back in 2008 but the Home office pdf file of approved tests says validity "2 years" for IELTS. Back in July 2013 I asked several people here on forum as well as solicitors and they said an expired test won't be valid so you either get your degree certified by NARIC at C1 or pass one of the ESOL/IELTS test.

See here : http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... c&start=60

Now, you are saying HO has told you that an expired certificate of IELTS is valid which makes me wonder as to why did they mention 2 year validity on their list of tests? Why they did not put a small note saying those who have passed tests in past would be acceptable? I would have never gone for an ESOL FCE exam had they made it clear that an expired IELTS is good for Citizenship application. I am sure many people said that an expired test will only be valid if you have used it in your previous applications. For people like me I met English requirement for HSMP and Tier-1 by just showing NARIC certificate for my degree Equivalent to British Bachelors. So, I never submitted an IELTS test to HO in past. I am not sure if this 2 year validity is only for those who will submit the test to HO for first time. People who have made an application in past (HSMP/Tier-1/Entry Clearance) and met English requirement by showing IELTS certificate, only they can still show the same certificate although expired!
Not all those who wander are lost...

mustang390

Post by mustang390 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 am

I did IELTS back in 2009 and when I spoke with local NCS the lady on the phone said "Yes we know few peoples have applied with expired IELTS tests recently and you will be alright as well"

Is there anyone whose application was actually accepted using the old IELTS certificate ?

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm

mustang390 wrote:I did IELTS back in 2009 and when I spoke with local NCS the lady on the phone said "Yes we know few peoples have applied with expired IELTS tests recently and you will be alright as well"

Is there anyone whose application was actually accepted using the old IELTS certificate ?
Hi,
Don't worry. I asked UKBA and they said for the purpose of settlement and naturalization the expired test results are accepted.

dadageer
Mood:

Post by dadageer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:34 pm

I asked UKBA about the 2-year validity thing and this is what they answered:

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your e-mail.

The answer to your question can be found at section 3 of the attached factsheet.

I hope this helps.

Mrs C

Not all those who wander are lost...

matiq

Post by matiq » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 pm

I got reply as above where "question 3 from Factsheet - Follow link above" was attached.

All sorted - Thanks!

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Well, the so called Fact-sheet is not from UK Border Agency, it's not official document, check any official document from UK border agency, they always put the month and year at the bottom of fact sheet.

It's still not bad, 4 bands in IELTS, they expect 8 bands for Australia !

sort it out before they change the rules and increase fees in April 2014 !

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:58 pm

If they are advising that expired tests are OK for settlement or citizenship, what about extensions of leave to remain as that is technically neither?

My wife needs to apply for her extension next month and has a 2 and a half year old valid IELTS certificate. Does she need to apply for a new IELTS?

What is the number/email we can contact the UKBA for advice on please?

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 am

Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

shahfor

Post by shahfor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am

skyscraper101 wrote:If they are advising that expired tests are OK for settlement or citizenship, what about extensions of leave to remain as that is technically neither?

My wife needs to apply for her extension next month and has a 2 and a half year old valid IELTS certificate. Does she need to apply for a new IELTS?

When I extended my stay in 2010, my expired IELTS results was accepted. Apparently when you apply for extension and you are in the UK, it would be OK to present expired test.

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 am

shahfor wrote:
skyscraper101 wrote:If they are advising that expired tests are OK for settlement or citizenship, what about extensions of leave to remain as that is technically neither?

When I extended my stay in 2010, my expired IELTS results was accepted. Apparently when you apply for extension and you are in the UK, it would be OK to present expired test.
That is reassuring but there doesn't seem to be any concrete statement of this anywhere in regards to FLR (M) applications.

Can anyone else offer anything which confirms this is the case? I don't want to risk wasting over £900 turning up to the HO and being told the mid-2011 test is no longer valid. I can't find anything in writing from them.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 am

Why not drop an email to KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, and take a copy of the response with you?

I am going to do the same.