ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Ireland Such a Great Place (RANT)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Birdy wrote:Already have my refusal :(
The decision might chnage this and after 2 years from now you might be laughing sitting in ur home remembering all our crazy conversations and

All this Info Digging

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi Scrudu,good to see you're back on the boards again with your valuable advice!
To be honest, sham marriages have been a big problem in the West for a long time,esp. the States&Europe. They have evolved better systems to detect 'white weddings' whereas the Irish for the lack of any imagination/manpower have snuck in this prior european residency which is a very ridiculous way of culling out applicants. But I don't think this clause is really meant to sift through sham weddings,it's more of a way to control immigration after their incompetency in anticipating the flow of immigrants from the new E.U accession countries.

The French and the Americans immigration authorities have a way of showing up at people's doors anytime after they apply for residency anywhere from 6months to 3 years un-announced to check if they are really married and living together.
I think that's a much rational way of checking. Anyways, when we applied for a spouse visa at the irish embassy we already had to prove our relationship! Then they lost the papers when we submitted them again along with our E.U1 application here!
It's a mad-house at the DOJ!

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:31 am

hi archigabe,

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear you are still going through this nightmare! Best of luck with the impending birth. I hope it all goes well for you both.

I agree with everything you say. I think it's a testament to their incompetence the way they have ratified this particular Directive into Irish law. I also agree that they have very inefficient methods of verifying legitimate Marriages or Partnerships.

What bugged me when we were going through our saga, was that since Ireland is one of the last countries to get hit with this "immigration" issue (do remember that until VERY recently, the trend in this country was toward emigration rather than immigration), that they could surely piggyback on the learnings of other countries, and simply adopt a system that seems to work best, e.g. copy the UK/AU/CA model. Both processes are very clearly laid out, and while it may not be easy to get a visa for either country, at least the ground rules are initially laid out for you so you know what you are up against.

As for proving your relationship before you get here. Yes, but I'm guessing that now that as a Spousal Visa application for non-EU spouses of EU (not Irish) citizens, is now quite similar to a Tourist Visa, i.e. it does not afford residence rights (only the initial 3 months), nor does it allow the holder to work. Only the EU1 form can do this. So instead of verifying your relationship properly before you get here, they do it at the EU1 application stage :(

That said, I do still feel it is simply the DoJ's method of attempting to stem the flow of migrants. Quite simply to make it hard so only a certain few will make it through :(

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:40 am

EXACTLY scrudu

I completely agree with you 100%

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:22 am

Says it all, really.

Irish Times Article:

Immigration policy here in urgent need of 'real
change'
Kitty Holland

There is a need for "real change" in the way
immigration is managed here, a senior official in the
Department of Justice has said.

He added that the establishment of a
cross-departmental office on immigration, headed by a
minister of state for immigration is "something that
could work very well".

Terry Lonergan, assistant principal officer in the
Immigration Division of the department, was speaking
at a discussion in Dublin yesterday, hosted by the
Immigrant Council of Ireland.

The conference heard from Portuguese high commissioner
for immigration and ethnic affairs Dr Rui Marques, who
said the overriding principle guiding his state's
immigration policy is "equality and tolerance".

Like Ireland, Portugal's experience had traditionally
been one of high emigration. Large-scale immigration
was a more recent phenomenon.

His office was established in 1996 although it was
only placed on a statutory footing in 2002. Its budget
was increased substantially in 2004 - from €850,000 to
€4.75 million a year. His office co-ordinates the
activities of all departments on immigration-relevant
issues and he reports directly to the Portuguese
cabinet.

Among the services provided for migrants to Portugal
is an immigration information phone-line as well as
immigrant support centres throughout the state,
dedicated to assisting them with information about
employment rights, recognition of qualifications,
housing, family reunification and tax laws.

Immigrants account for 4.5 per cent of the population
there compared with 10 per cent here.

Denise Charlton, chief executive of the council, said
Portugal was "far ahead of us" in terms of its
immigration policy.

While policies are co-ordinated through one department
in Portugal, they are "provided by a number of
different Government departments acting in isolation,
with little co-ordination, creating confusion and
providing ad-hoc responses here."

She called for the appointment of a minister of state
for immigration.

Mr Lonergan said: "We would accept there is a need for
major change. We can see every day the problems which
arise for people as a result of all the different
departments involved in single issues - getting a work
permit sorted out, for example."

Fergus McCafferty, former principal officer in charge
of economic immigration at the Department of
Enterprise, Trade and Employment, said: "In all my
years as a civil servant, I never worked in a place
that was such a horrific mess."

© 2007 The Irish Times

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

Platinum wrote:Says it all, really.

Irish Times Article:

IFergus McCafferty, former principal officer in charge
of economic immigration at the Department of
Enterprise, Trade and Employment, said: "In all my
years as a civil servant, I never worked in a place
that was such a horrific mess."

Atleast someone admits and understand how we as applicanta feel

brownbonno
Netherlands

Post by brownbonno » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:32 am

scrudu,
I bluntly disagree on some of your points and sympathy for the DoJ.The system is a complete failure and ineffecient public administration.The EU commission clearly set out in a 2002 Communication from the Commission and is also implicit in Article 11 of Regulation 1612/68/EEC,the rights of the community family member.Also,the EU commossion recommend that each member states should transpose the Directive 2004/38/EC and that article should match the original intention of the commision(freedom of movement of persons).
The UK House of Lords’ judgment in Huang in March 2007,applied Article 8, ECHR,--------
"In an article 8 case…the ultimate question for the appellate immigration authority is whether the refusal of leave to enter or remain, in circumstances where the life of the family cannot be reasonably expected to be enjoyed elsewhere, taking full account of all considerations weighing in favour of the refusal, prejudices the family life of the applicant in a manner sufficiently serious to amount to a breach of the fundamental right protected by article 8. If the answer to this question is affirmative, the refusal is unlawful and the authority must so decide. It is not necessary that the appellate immigration authority...need ask in addition whether the case meets a test of exceptionality. The suggestion that it should is based on an observation of Lord Bingham in Razgar… He was there expressing an expectation…that the number of claimants not covered by the Rules and supplementary directions but entitled to succeed under article 8 would be a very small minority. That is still his expectation. But he was not purporting to lay down a legal test.â€
Last edited by brownbonno on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is Power

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:07 pm

I can think of a few words to describe it. Legal action is being considered. Options are limited at present as Funds are low but be assured ill be fighting them with more spirit than a battalion of the Oglaigh Na eirean fighting the Black and Tans
Happy now in the U.K. not so happy about the Rugby

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:39 am

brownbonno: I don't understand from your post which of my points you disagree with. Nor do I understand how your quote from "The UK House of Lords’ judgment in Huang in March 2007" relates to my post, or this issue?
I also fail to see where I expressed sympathy for DoJ in my post. Perhaps you can enlighten me?

I agree that the systems put in place by the DoJ are inefficient, expensive and are an example of a failure in the public system, and think that I expressed that in my post as well as in many other posts on this forum.

As for Birdy's case, I'm sure the DoJ happily justifies it's decision by referring to the current Irish Regulations "European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2006" which states that the EU couple must have previously resided together in another EU State.

Again, the issue is that the Minister for Justice signed into Irish law, an incorrect interpretation (as I see it) of Directive 2004/38/EC. Until the Irish Transposition of this Directive (EC Movement of Persons Regulations 2006) are changed, I dont see how the DoJ can give a different response to such applications.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:49 am

Lets Hope the positive news comes out !!!!!!

we all are waiting.

I am sure we will have some news by 1.00pm lunch time !!!
Would love to read something positive.

I hope the DOJ gets hammered in the judgement and gets HUGE HUGE fine !
and is ordered instantly to appologise in writing to all those who suffered and issue them a 5 year stamp !

hmm :lol: Inly if i was the Judge !

brownbonno
Netherlands

Post by brownbonno » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:01 am

scrudu wrote:As for proving your relationship before you get here. Yes, but I'm guessing that now that as a Spousal Visa application for non-EU spouses of EU (not Irish) citizens, is now quite similar to a Tourist Visa, i.e. it does not afford residence rights (only the initial 3 months), nor does it allow the holder to work. Only the EU1 form can do this. So instead of verifying your relationship properly before you get here, they do it at the EU1 application stage :(

That said, I do still feel it is simply the DoJ's method of attempting to stem the flow of migrants. Quite simply to make it hard so only a certain few will make it through :(
There is no justification for not been proactive in their administration.Stemming down immigration should not be done at the expense of the EU Directive.
Most Non Eu citizen on visa application do always declare their reasons for seeking a visa-Spouse of EU citizen.On arrival the processing of the EU1 should be straight forward.
The Article 8,protect the right of family to be together and the free enjoyment of their right..
Knowledge is Power

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:03 am

I must say here

I agree with Brownbonno fully his points have weight

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Come on guys Scrudu is on our side, and she does agree the authorities are wrong in their interpretation.

brownbonno
Netherlands

Post by brownbonno » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:03 pm

archigabe wrote:Come on guys Scrudu is on our side, and she does agree the authorities are wrong in their interpretation.
This not an issue of side taking.But is all about what is equitable and fair,especially when it affects people's life.
Lets wait and see what the court says.
Knowledge is Power

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:22 am

Well thats it Guys I met with some friends last night and i officially lost it a relatively innocent comment and i went on a full scale red face RANT and ended up apologising to about fifteen people.

Dropped my wife off at the Airport his morning :(
Happy now in the U.K. not so happy about the Rugby

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:33 pm

According to the press release of the Festival of World Cultures,
3-DAY FESTIVAL OF WORLD CULTURES CELEBRATES MODERN IRELAND

63,000 Polish, 24,000 Lithuanians, 17,000 Nigerians,
12,000 Chinese, 112,000 British

1 out of 10 people living in Ireland born overseas

IRELAND 2007
Truly a nation of World Cultures

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council presents
FESTIVAL OF WORLD CULTURES
Dún Laoghaire
24, 25, 26 August 2007
www.festivalofworldcultures.com
Are they saying that there are 12,000 chinese ''students'' here legally?There must also be as many Mauritian ''students'' as the Poles as well!

If they let so many in without any controls, why are they giving us so many problems, when we havent even broken any laws and when all we want are our rights recognized by E.U treaties ?
Another thing we would have to watch closely is Merkel's lobbying of the new E.U constitution/treaty which can have a say on which issues the local government have absolute discretion over.
Last edited by archigabe on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Static

Post by Static » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Birdy wrote:Well thats it Guys I met with some friends last night and i officially lost it a relatively innocent comment and i went on a full scale red face RANT and ended up apologising to about fifteen people.

Dropped my wife off at the Airport his morning :(
:( you're not alone with this misery :( shout if you need any help or just company that can understand your predicament.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:41 am

archigabe wrote:According to the press release of the Festival of World Cultures,

IRELAND 2007

Dún Laoghaire
24, 25, 26 August 2007
Are they saying that there are 12,000 chinese ''students'' here legally?There must also be as many Mauritian ''students'' as the Poles as well!

If they let so many in without any controls, why are they giving us so many problems, when we havent even broken any laws and when all we want are our rights recognized by E.U treaties ?
Another thing we would have to watch closely is Merkel's lobbying of the new E.U constitution/treaty which can have a say on which issues the local government have absolute discretion over.
i feel sorry for ye.but as for the student issue, i wont comment on how many students are actually attending courses in college or in a recognised course but,if they are "students" they have to prove before they come to study, to have paid about €6k for years course, and then prove they have the money for the next year. then prove they have sufficent money to cover their health and insurance. they also have to prove they have sufficent english and they are only given visa on the condition that they leave the state after college. soif they stay longer than that without returning home changing their status to return, then legally they have no entitlement to be here. (its harshbut that is the way it is) there is no basis for them to change their status if they marry in this state whilst studying here. so there are controls with regard to students.visa will be revoked if and when it is found that they fail to attend 80% of their classes. and if they were trying to naturlaise here in a few years time, the period as students will not be counted as reckonable residence.

as for polish people, as you know they are entitled to be here as they are eu citizens.

as for the treaty/constitution i really dont know what the fuss is with most of the text. it is fine, bar the voting issues but that was already ratiifed at nice. the constitution puts eu citizens on same level as it will explicitly express the rights and duties of eu citizens. how ever, it must be ratified by the people in this state. will it? if eu laws come in proposing to people of the uk and this state that the commissioner will have a say on all local government areas?,well areas that dont effect eu law then the constitution will be rejected by refernedum as it would infringe the states soverign rights to rule their country.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:02 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
archigabe wrote:According to the press release of the Festival of World Cultures,

IRELAND 2007

Dún Laoghaire
24, 25, 26 August 2007

they also have to prove they have sufficent english and they are only given visa on the condition that they leave the state after college. soif they stay longer than that without returning home changing their status to return, then legally they have no entitlement to be here. .
Think again what you have written.
Do chinese people know english ?
Have they gone back ?
Are they working here full time ?
have they opened business here ?

All what you stated is correct "virtually" not in reality
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:37 pm

runie80 wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

IRELAND 2007

Dún Laoghaire
24, 25, 26 August 2007

they also have to prove they have sufficent english and they are only given visa on the condition that they leave the state after college. soif they stay longer than that without returning home changing their status to return, then legally they have no entitlement to be here. .
Think again what you have written.
Do chinese people know english ?
Have they gone back ?
Are they working here full time ?
have they opened business here ?

All what you stated is correct "virtually" not in reality
yes runie, i know, you are correct. all of the 4 areas are in reality very much the case with regard to certain categories of students. i take your point on the student issue absolutley, .not all students are like that, but of course the "student" visa is a very good example of how the immigration procedures are abused. i find it remarkable from speaking to certain "students" of the category you stated and how they genuinely believed that they have the right to open business and work full time, yet still some how manage to pack in "a full time course of study" it is up to the gardai and gnib to catch them, and when they do they do get deported (ok ok about 10% of the time) as for the colleges and governments attitude, i am sorry to say, it appears that theydo not give a toss so long as they get the students money.

the numbers on that post refers to the number of non nationals in this state in total and not just students caused if it were i reclon there would be a need for more univeristies and it.. that festival is mostly organised by non governemental organisations. charity and social groups and the like, who care about your situation. the majority of normal people who give up their free time to organise it are there to promote multi culturism in this nation (as oppose to what we see in films etc) the festival is there to stop irish people to extend their view that there is more to life than cornation st, premership football (all english of course) and the spuds and to help non nationals miggle with the community. give some of the people involved in this group some credit. they believe in improving the situation in immigration matters. maybe if ye can some of ye should pop down to it, speak to some members and highlight your problems. because this crap rule also affects irish people who want to marry non eu and non eea citizens. maybe they will try and help or get the issue more highlighted.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 pm

The truth is when you bring people in the country and dont give them a way out then what they will do ? i mean if you dont give them workpermot or etc etc if they want to work here and be a part of the community

Offcourse they will abuse the system when the system is not there to help them.

Students came here on student visas but when one student want to pursure some other goals in Ireland he is not allowed. you cant treat everyone with the same stick different people have different circumstances. One size fits all never works !

Thats what causes all this "illegal" thing.

Until people look at the "ROOT" of the issue you cannot solve it.

I have respect for all nationalities.

The point i am making is you cannot expect a student to study in ireland 5 years and then go back to his home country from which the person has been completely out of touch for 5 years.

Why anyone want to study here ? to improve the life standard and find a nice job and etc and if you send someone back after all the study into a place where he is no more intouch now its plain stupidity ?

what you think !
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm

your correct, i agree. their parents spend alot of money to send their childern to this country to study. they should be entitled to a least a 6 month visa to allow them take up employment that realtes to their course, particularily doctors and nurses and the like, all without the current requirement of work permits.

but, they are explicitily informed or should have been (does anyone ever look at the terms and conditions of anything anymore? if not it is their responsibilty to find out forthemselves) that they must return to their country after their course ( i agree what yousay about the abuse to the system and why they do it) but if students do receive full and proper advise (to be fair to them they obviously dont) about what they must do aftr the course is finished and yet are not happy about it, then it is there best interest not to come and spend thousands of their hard earned money of educating themselves in ireland. yes runie, as you pointed the reality is far different.

if , before they come here to study, they are aware that it is against the law to start a business or to continue to stay here after the course then there is no excuse. no offence but it is not the state that bring them here. its the individual who chooses to come and study here. it is the state who accepts them after checking out the individual meets all the terms and conditions on the basis of student visas. maybe the state should ask the student to sign a declaration that he or she is informed of what her rights and duties are and then be allowed to enter. at least that individual will be fully aware of their rights and can make the choice of their location of study with the full knowledge that breaking such rules could mean arrest and deportation.

as for a way out? well students are informed that they must leave after the course (yes extremely harsh but they know that the law states what it states. if break it or abuse it then what do you expect the state to do? allow them to continue?) runie, i know it is harsh but abuse to the system is a sure fire way to getting deported. if an national was caught abusing eg social welfare system, they would expect to be jailed for it.

again i sympathise with ye, but immigration rules are made in every country, even in most of your countries. immigration to this country and others is not an absolute right.

anyway, that orginal post about the festival. the numbers do not represent the numbers of international students in this country. why the op brought up the comment about students, i dont know.
Last edited by walrusgumble on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:15 pm

I suggest you go and attend a Seminar done by the colleges in

china,bangladesh,pakistan,india & etc ect

They promise the world to them u have no Idea whats been told in those seminars.The success is promised and they are told that they will be settled

college will find employment for them etc etc heath care , accomodation and internship opertunities and etc etc and when they land here they are ABUSED used by people as cheap labour and etc etc

I wish you have attended one of them my friend and you would think 180 degrees from what you think now !

It all sounds good but this business is lot more deep and you ahve no idea who is involved in all this and where the money is going loads of brown envelops :twisted:

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:28 pm

runie80 wrote:I suggest you go and attend a Seminar done by the colleges in

china,bangladesh,pakistan,india & etc ect

They promise the world to them u have no Idea whats been told in those seminars.The success is promised and they are told that they will be settled

college will find employment for them etc etc heath care , accomodation and internship opertunities and etc etc and when they land here they are ABUSED used by people as cheap labour and etc etc

I wish you have attended one of them my friend and you would think 180 degrees from what you think now !

It all sounds good but this business is lot more deep and you ahve no idea who is involved in all this and where the money is going loads of brown envelops :twisted:

while i cant have experienced this, i am aware of these crap is happening, particularily in the health area. but that still is no excuse for independent research into these colleges, area that you are going to live in, the price of these there, surely one is educaated enough never to reply on one source for info, you find out from people you know who went there, colleges/teachers who would might have gone overseas when they were studing, get out the websites or write to them, maybe even to the dept of jusitice, or to college for a copy of the prosepective to see if they are actually a real college etc. checking out the national law on education etc would not hurt either. i bet you would not take a person's word for it if they were trying to sell you a car... less of the devil faces mate do not suit you i am trying to sympathis and if possible help.

i do sympathise. would you mind pm me the name of irish colleges and universites that have done that to you or friends. i might be wrong but i get the sneaking suspicion from what i have heard myslef,that these groups are not even registered as recognised educational bodies here.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:46 pm

I dont wana name and shame them as their pockets run more deep than mine.

But they are widely known

I am not taking this all debate futher

all i wanted to highlight is that we as migrants are forced into some of the things we never want to do just for the fact that there isnt any Alternative